Xtreme Gaming Network

Test run - F1 1975 at Imola

Author Topic: Test run - F1 1975 at Imola  (Read 39059 times)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Test run - F1 1975 at Imola
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2018, 04:57:43 PM »
Oh, and blue flags were waved every time a faster car approached you, not just for lap down cars. :o
And in the 50's & 60's drivers would often wave others through even if they were on the same lap!
The thought being they would damage their engine, gearbox & tyres and you would pass them later. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2018, 05:18:31 PM »
I thought I'd be in for some good mid field racing but got punted off at the first corner, no worries all good.

That was me, sorry again Bueller. The only excuse I can offer is that I haven't done much racing since October last year and I screwed up my first lap braking.

I was annoyingly slow, and any change I made caused me to go slower. After I punted Bueller I drove pretty poorly till I decided I was too much of a menace and had no real interest in continuing. I hope it was a practice race thing because I wasn't having much fun. Normally I can cruise around trying to improve my lap times even if I'm not having battles.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2018, 07:33:04 PM »
If you've made a mistake, be it accident or screwed up pit stop, which puts you a lap down, you forfeit the right to hold up a driver who hasn't made such mistakes.
In this league, you're expected to drive courteously and respectfully and that means following flag rules including blue flags.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2018, 06:59:20 AM »
Hey guys but whats your prefered method of changing gears??  I am using the flaps around the wheel..lol....but its not that good. I got a gear stick but i think it would be a mess..i am not used to, yes i have been cheating all these years........cant believe i have to push the clutch every time i change gear...lololol
So..do i need to set up a gear stick?????? 😁😁😁😁😁
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:04:28 AM by Simone »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2018, 08:07:20 AM »
Hey guys but whats your prefered method of changing gears??  I am using the flaps around the wheel..lol....but its not that good. I got a gear stick but i think it would be a mess..i am not used to, yes i have been cheating all these years........cant believe i have to push the clutch every time i change gear...lololol
So..do i need to set up a gear stick? ??? ?? 😁😁😁😁😁
Gear stick all the way, for realism, immersion and to test your skill. BUT... You run a huge risk of stuffing up gear shifts and/or blowing a gearbox.
There's also a slight speed benefit with a manual shifter in AC.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2018, 08:43:37 AM »
If anyone does blow their gearbox use ctrl+g to turn on the auto, which mysteriously 'repairs' the gearbox,
? that should not happen, I guess...

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2018, 08:50:37 AM »
I used stick with right foot braking, heel-toe downshifts.
I'm going to have to risk clutchless downshifts as I lost around 1.5-2 sec/lap heel-toeing. :'(

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2018, 09:16:14 AM »
I wasn't heel toeing at all, but using a quick clutch on every up down and down shift.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2018, 09:19:47 AM »
You know about my dislike for chicanes, rolling starts and blue flags, well you can toss is heel 'n' toe with that lot too.  >:( :P
Ahahah! Are you ok with cars having 4 wheels?

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2018, 09:31:57 AM »
I wasn't heel toeing at all, but using a quick clutch on every up down and down shift.
I can get up shifts without clutch but down shifts without clutch is just not happening for me. Maybe with more practice but not sure if the risk is worth it at the moment.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2018, 11:08:30 AM »
I used stick with right foot braking, heel-toe downshifts.
I'm going to have to risk clutchless downshifts as I lost around 1.5-2 sec/lap heel-toeing. :'(
I think the timings are too tight for clutchless shifting?
Just slip the clutch like I do.

You know about my dislike for chicanes, rolling starts and blue flags, well you can toss is heel 'n' toe with that lot too.  >:( :P
What's ruling out heel-toe would rule that out as well.
If there's any lateral force at all (Aqua Minerali & the kink before Rivazza mainly), the car gets very unstable when I lift off the throttle to apply the brake.
I usually overlap the throttle/brake under lateral load to avoid this.
What I did Tuesday was to either brake earlier of lift and coast before the lateral force came in.
The other technique I used was 'hybrid', left foot brake initially and swap feet half way through the braking zone, when I needed to shift.
But I still had to brake early to give me room to swap feet on the brake so I could use the clutch, resulting in reduced retardation during the "foot dance".
Hence, any use of the clutch on downshifts requires right foot braking and extended braking distances. :'(

2+2=√16

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2018, 12:01:33 PM »
Ahahah! Are you ok with cars having 4 wheels?

Tyrell P34

and I forgot to mention Unsprung aero, AWD and Gas Turbines. All banned 'cause some little twits in the FIA needed a Band-Aid.  >:( >:( >:(
said the one who drives from inside his living room ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal