Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 3 round 4: Silverstone International race chat

Author Topic: Season 3 round 4: Silverstone International race chat  (Read 46743 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Season 3 round 4: Silverstone International race chat
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2014, 08:19:00 AM »
Race 1, I got into 3rd and just stayed there, watching GWyar and Marty in the distance.

Race 2, I was hit in the rear and put back to as good as last, which is always annoying but then also fun working through the field. I had lots of good close racing, but the warping makes it a nerve-wracking experience.

Race 3, I got a good start, but on the right hander after the back straight I got hooked up on the inside kerb (I had a car to my left), got a wheel over the kerb onto the grass and left the track, which lost me a few spots. Later I got a bit wobbly at the slow right before the back straight and tank-slapped off, letting Freezer and Bacchulum past, I think.

Tyres were down to 98 near the end of all three races, and it felt a little bit slipperier.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2014, 09:49:19 AM »
Fun night as usual.
I'm not sure if I'm doing better this season or not... Seem to be coming last.. A lot!
Really like the car, getting used to it. Didn't throw it around as much as last race. But I was very very slow, even for me, at Silverstone int.
  I did break my PB each race, which is nice. Down to a 1.17.8. in the last race. So only needed 3-4 more races and I'd be on pace :)

Managed to finish all 3 races. I was very happy with that. Didn't make any huge mistakes for the three races. very chuffed with myself. Maybe that was why I was slow, wanted to keep it on the black stuff, pointing the right way more than anything.
Sure, got caught up in a few of the warps but didn't suffer to badly. Managed to brake-check my team mate in race 3. His brakes work fine btw. Good work Cramjet! CARRY ME!!!!

The warping is nerve wracking indeed! Is it something that only happens in AC? Or has other titles gone through the same thing?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2014, 10:02:34 AM »
I'm starting to wonder whether it's the Amazon server. On the AC forums, a lot of people are saying it's rock solid. Our pings are mostly very good.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2014, 10:11:06 AM »
Race 1. Had a clean race and pulled a bit of a gap to win running safe consistant laps.

Race 2. Had Schmittez closer the first few laps but then got taken out from the lead, with a pretty poor move on his part.

I was chasing Marty down and ended up bumping in to him, coming in to turn 3 when I was on the inside and when he came across to take the corner I was hard on the brakes but still ended up hitting him.

Though he never got anywhere near inside, and hit me square in the back from a long way back. From there chased home bird but couldnt find a "clean" way past and so finished 4th.  ;)

R3 Got stuck in traffic in qualy, made a gap for myself with just enough time to get in one lap. Stupidly spun on t1 and so started a long way back. Start of race was very messy from back there somehow avoided contact with 3 or 4 cars that spun or got spun all around me before t3. Then was pushing hard and spun again in t1. Chased again and got caught up in an incident between Phil and Freezer as we were realy close into stowe. Had a big spin and went back to nearly last and made a couple more spots to the end there but a frustrating race mostly due to my own 2 stupid spins in qualy and the race.

Unfortunatly had the pace to be upfront but had a bit of a shocker from the race 2 incident on.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2014, 10:17:33 AM »
I'm starting to wonder whether it's the Amazon server. On the AC forums, a lot of people are saying it's rock solid. Our pings are mostly very good.

We need to wait and see what the next update brings, Ive been on a few non Amazon servers that do the same thing. I did see a bit of warping on the nite and hit grubbet in practice or qualy when I was maybe 50m away from him. Grubbet is prone to having connection issues though and this has been most races. In race 2 when following Bird he warped back a meter or so nearly hitting me at one point so I had to back off.

There is definatly some weirdness going on but I think its more code then server, supposedly its been completly re written for the RC. It was definatly more solid a while back so lets hope it gets better then that, it seems mostly to have issues with people that may have others on the network causing speed fluctuations. But it should really be able to deal with this much better I would think.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:53:35 AM by marty »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2014, 10:56:14 AM »
Bird, sorry bout that t3 incident - I came fairly cautiously through the big wreck at t2, looked behind me for a second and arrived at t3 a lot earlier than expected and somewhat out of control. No excuse, just a silly accident. I did hold back for a bit and finally gave the place up when you caught up.

No worries, it just looked and felt rather like a dive-bomb attempt hence my upset tone :)
All good!

Btw on DST: I think the whole world should wake up and realise it's a pointless exercise.  You in the WA desert are actually more forwards than us, methinks.

I mean, just think about it;  there are time-zones in the world that zigzag enough that one end is about 2hrs off the other end.   Even with absolutely straight 1-hr timezones there's a bloody 1-hr time difference already between the two ends (as in; on one end the sun sets one hour earlier, even though the clock shows the same time!)

We should really abolish this whole time-zone idea.  Just work on a universal time, and things would become so much simpler.   All you need to do is the time diff between places.    Some places would wake at 1 some places at 12, and yet some at 20.  People would get used to it in less than a generation.   And everyone in IT would just take a deep, relaxed breath because things would be a million times simpler. :)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2014, 11:10:06 AM »
There are also two subnets for AU, try to get a server in the other, next time.  Maybe get another type of server, too.  Or an instance on dedi hardware (altho you might only be able to do this for reserved instances...).   I'm sure we'll figure it out :)

Btw - those others who say it's rock solid, are they running full fields or close to full ones?  Or just 5 ppl on track?  It may make a big difference.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:42:17 AM by Bird »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2014, 11:13:22 AM »
Time zones are fine, IT people can do what they like but they must be mad as is that suggestion by our IT guy Bird.  ;D

Main problem in Australia is the queensland farmers dont want to lose an hours sunlight on their crops, they are as mad as the IT guys I think. Maybe IT people should just incorporate Bangalore standard time as thats where most of the work is done isnt it.  ;D

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2014, 11:44:04 AM »
It's just a matter of preference/getting used to (I mean the local time measurements).   
But the "daylight saving" is an absolute idiocy.  There's simply no alternative way to describe it.  Useless, pointless, and just plain wrong. 

Offline cramjet

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2014, 11:53:05 AM »
I see two sides to the argument - either you want an hour of sunlight at 5am so you can get up and do things/work earlier (tradies, farmers, Dick's 'ladies' in Northbridge), or you prefer that hour in the evening which gives regular city slickers more sunlight after work. There's no right or wrong answer, it just depends on the population.

/end derail about DST

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2014, 12:08:38 PM »
Back on the off topic direction lol, farmers would just be working sunrise to sunset or even before and after. I dont think they do a 9 to 5 shift, I worked at a golf club for a while whos oppening hourse were 30 min before and after sunset so daylight savings or not makes little to no difference. In summer you had very long hours and winter pretty short and many industries take little notice of the actual time. Its only those stuck in 9 to 5 jobs where it really makes much difference.

Back on topic id like to see a comparison lap time chart between Wally's forecast and the eventual figures for the nite. From the people around me it seemed quite similar gaps. It would also be interesting to have a list of each persons fastest lap of the nite to see who really needed a quicker car then they had. The car list for next round is looking better with a few more in different cars.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2014, 12:19:03 PM »
I see two sides to the argument - either you want an hour of sunlight at 5am so you can get up and do things/work earlier (tradies, farmers, Dick's 'ladies' in Northbridge), or you prefer that hour in the evening which gives regular city slickers more sunlight after work. There's no right or wrong answer, it just depends on the population.

/end derail about DST

I don't know about you Cramers, as a West Aussie, the best side of Aus btw. I hate day light savings. My curtains fade a lot quicker with that extra hour of sunlight.

Really the issue over here is, we don't have a huge land mass with 'mountains' blocking the sun. So if we have daylight savings. For about a month it's still damn near 27 degrees and bright sunlight a 9pm. Now, I don't have kids but I sure know of the troubles it can cause trying to get kids to go to bed, in bright sunlight, stinking hot and it's only 8pm. Just for that reason alone it doesn't work over here.

Back on topic. I think the car allocation for next week sux. You should ALL be in Z4's except for Cramjet and myself in 340R step 1's

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2014, 12:50:17 PM »

I am thinking that ping times do not necessarily indicate the level of server "lag" ie if a process on the server handling the syncing of client positions to all clients gets hit by a lag/pause then a warp would potentially occur. In that case the client pings could still show as ok since each client ping only indicates the health of that client's connection to the server. In the first race Bacchulum warped sideways into me but his ping was about 50-60 at the time. That ruined my first race. In the second race someone two cars in front of me warped rearwards significantly hitting the car in front of me and then that car rebounded into me sending me off the track even though I had already almost come to a halt. Race 2 also ruined but then restarted.

And that's without getting into how I drove last night :) :( :) ;)

All in all a night to forget...

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2014, 01:04:58 PM »
There's a multitude of things working (not working) where warping is concerned.  However, warping sideways is definitely a mistake in coding.  The prediction should allow temporary packet losses and/or latencies, without displacing the cars too much - or at all, really.   This is for example what iRacing does.  Their netcode is second to none.  Also LFS, if I remember correctly, handled it very well. 

If or when the car info is missing, the program should predict its position based on best practices, speed & direction, etc, - this is for the short term.
If it's packet loss or latency over a certain limit, the program should do one of the two:  make the car a ghost, or simply remove it from the race.

If the incoming information is back and there's a major difference, then again, multiple choices.  Ghosting again, and/or a slow, gradual rectification of the position/speed is in order.

Jumping sideways is two problems compounded:
1) prediction problems
2) allowing instant displacement

Anyway.  I hope they get it right this next time.   It's definitely not a simple matter as two sides (server/client) needs to work towards the best outcome - sometimes asynchronously.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2014, 02:14:25 PM »
Have to agree Bird. I did a little bit of iRacing and LFS and their netcode was essentially transparent ie never an issue. I know we all have features we would like to see in 1.0 but if they don't get this fixed then multiplayer will slowly die. It worries me that this netcode version was the result of a 12 hour rewrite that was then released a few days later from memory.

Having said all that there was something wrong last night. I have been getting between 70-100 fps on the servers but last night it was down to 50 at times. Size of the field perhaps? Or was it the Silverstone track as someone suggested last night?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal