Xtreme Gaming Network

Lap time data for season 4 car selection

Author Topic: Lap time data for season 4 car selection  (Read 44821 times)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Re: Lap time data for season 4 car selection
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2014, 07:20:30 AM »
i'd suggest that the cars chosen have more of a speed difference in the corners than the straight as otherwise it's impossible to pass.  If it's a massive difference anyway.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2014, 07:21:05 AM »
I'll start getting some skins together...

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2014, 07:24:49 AM »
i'd suggest that the cars chosen have more of a speed difference in the corners than the straight as otherwise it's impossible to pass.  If it's a massive difference anyway.

I notice you haven't posted a time for the Robin @ Spa. it had a good chance of getting into the mix.
I did: 4:39.356

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2014, 07:46:24 AM »
If we only go with three distinct models, which are easy to tell apart, then I don't think we need colour coded skins. It would be too much the same. But if you want to make some custom skins that people can choose to use, then go for it.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2014, 07:51:47 AM »
If we only go with three distinct models, which are easy to tell apart, then I don't think we need colour coded skins. It would be too much the same. But if you want to make some custom skins that people can choose to use, then go for it.

If we will be swapping cars than I'll just make 3 variants. If we are keeping cars then I can personalize them a bit more. I don't want people feeling forced to use skins either. Only Bruce and Bacchulum, should be forced to. those guys are way too conservative.

Is the car choice set in stone?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2014, 07:59:28 AM »

If we will be swapping cars than I'll just make 3 variants. If we are keeping cars then I can personalize them a bit more. I don't want people feeling forced to use skins either. Only Bruce and Bacchulum, should be forced to. those guys are way too conservative.

Is the car choice set in stone?
Yeah, we'll be swapping cars. We don't need 8 pink Ferraris, if you know what I mean. Do you mean if you theme a car, you'll do that themed skin for each of the three cars? That would be good.

The car choice is set in foam, so far.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2014, 08:08:12 AM »
no no, not 8 pink Ferrari's. Just the 3.
I won't do a colour scale. No hello kitty..... sigh....

I'll have a look at the templates and go from there. some templates are real easy and have big panels and wire mesh that actually align up. Others are just tedious and challenging for all the wrong reasons lol.

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2014, 08:13:07 AM »
Ferrari GT2 SPA 2:18:850

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2014, 08:15:49 AM »
Ferrari GT2 SPA 2:18:850

Robin Standard SPA 4:39.356

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2014, 08:27:58 AM »
OK, I've collated the figures. Man, this is variable! Every different driver squeezes different relative performances out of the same cars. Some of that may be due to track variation.
Anyway, here are the averages. This is how many percent slower the car is than the F458 (or in other words, that many seconds slower over 100 seconds).

458 GT2    0.00
M3 GT2    1.31
SLS GT3    1.67
P4/5    1.98
Z4 GT3    2.32
MP12-4C GT3    2.45
Evora GTC    2.84
Evora GX    3.51

A reasonable spread of times, except the 458 is quite a bit faster than the other cars. Because these cars are a little more complex and variable than the lotuses (and BMWs), I don't want to have too many different cars in the mix, because peoples' cars will be too different week to week. I might just have 3 roughly evenly spaced "classes", e.g.

F458 (for the slowest guys)
M3 (for the middle guys)
MP12-4C (for the fastest guys)

where, like the Lotuses, the car you get next week depends on your speed relative to everyone else.

There is more to these cars and so some may suit people better then others, some I just struggled setup wise but also testing at spa is very different to a smaller tighter circuit. Id prefer having a larger selection of cars as even in the same class with cars performing similar times they have other strengths and weaknesses. Its pretty cool to race others this way rather then all having the same car.

The p4/5 is the most odd car out of the bunch as it will do well on most tracks that arent long and open like Spa amd Monza. The GT3 cars really dont have much in them and people could pick a preferred model of these. Racing gt3 cars online I can be up front in any of these. Even gt2 the m3 and 458 can battle it out quite well and really the major difference between these classes are the better tyres in the gt2 which the p4/5 also shares.

The Evora GTC can get a laptime and be competitive qith a quick driver as long as there arent aliens in the faster cars.

To get a proper speed differential I think people need to re run tests on medium tyres to see race pace rather then qualy pace. Also custom setups shouod be used as defaults will favour some cars more then others.

Unless races are very short all cars will need the med tyres to race only gt2 can run softs for 6 or 7 laps at spa but they do lose quite a bit over the last lap and a bit. Gt3 cars need a very slow outlap to just get 1 hotlap with optimum tyres on the softs so tbey are useless in any race. There is about 1 second between each tyre compound it seems at Spa.

Handicapping could be simply done by class slowest guys in gt2's and fastest in gtc etc. You can then use the general advantage many seem to have in 458 or merc in their class but its really not so much as they can compete fairly well.

Giving people a preference car in the class will help them use a car they may be more comfortable in as its shown that not all are the same for all. Just because for some 1 is quicker then the other it may not be the case for particular drivers. I think Dick hates the m3 and so screwed up all the data to make sure he doesnt get that one. ;D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2014, 09:10:43 AM »
I don't want to give people choice - that's an admin nightmare.

I'm thinking of longer races with increased tyre wear, involving pitstops. Maybe 1 quick sprint on normal tyre wear, then a longer race needing a pitstop.

The tests were just to get approximate relative car performances. No point in trying to refine it further as its way too variable and time consuming. Its been averaged over a few different drivers at different kinds of tracks, so that's good enough. Like I've said many times before, with so many variables, it's never going to be perfect. The Lotus races are already giving great racing for most.

Most of these cars are pretty stable on default setups, so it might be more entertaining to use a bigger mix, especially as some will be kinder to tyres than others.

Dick, we'll skip the custom skins for this series. Too hard. There's already enough great looking race skins in the game. I'll assign them randomly.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
Dick, we'll skip the custom skins for this series. Too hard. There's already enough great looking race skins in the game. I'll assign them randomly.
No worries Wally. fine, go boring race car looks.  ;)

I can concentrate on making custom cobra skins that conservative, are easy for people to choose a colour scheme and a race number. and it will take weeks for me to fill orders instead of months!

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2014, 11:09:13 AM »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2014, 11:58:56 AM »
I don't want to give people choice - that's an admin nightmare.

Not if it's automatic....

Can I just put in again - we still have the old car-rental or car-buying system....it's really easy on the admin (as long as the result parser is corrected for AC)

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2014, 12:00:01 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal