Xtreme Gaming Network

S4R1: Imola race chat (Nov 18)

Author Topic: S4R1: Imola race chat (Nov 18)  (Read 25028 times)

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: S4R1: Imola race chat (Nov 18)
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 06:12:05 PM »
Is that race.ini or racer.ini?

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 06:43:59 PM »
Is there anyway of changing fuel multiplier offline?
All I can find is consumption on/off. ???

Yes. Edit race.ini, from memory. I think you set fuel rate to 3 in that file.
Sorry, but where is the race.ini? :-[

2+2=√16

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »
Back to where I belong on the rank, #418.
It felt strange being an alien.... ??? :P

2+2=√16

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 05:06:39 PM »
I did notice one thing with the race log when running a race with a pitstop, its kind of screws up the average lap time which will be quite high due to the in and out lap being quite slow and also lap 1 always has skewed these results a bit. For season stats Wally maybe you will need to exclude the 3 slowest laps from being used on the longer race if people are 1 stopping.

Here is an example of a practice race I ran which says 68% of laps were within 6.84 seconds.

But seeing as there was only 2 seconds between 21 of the 24 laps which would be 85% of laps within 2 seconds in my calculation it still doesnt make sense even if counting all laps. I actually never understood how that figure is worked out.  ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 05:42:25 PM »
Good point Marty. I'll see what the log file looks like when we actually do some pitstops. I could display what lap a pitstop was.

Google "standard deviation".
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline cramjet

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 06:13:32 PM »
Sorry, Wally, but I'll have to miss this round. The joys of family business  >:( I'll be there next week for sure!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 06:31:43 PM »
Sorry, Wally, but I'll have to miss this round. The joys of family business  >:( I'll be there next week for sure!
Sack the family, I say. No worries, I'll tee up a reserve.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »
Good point Marty. I'll see what the log file looks like when we actually do some pitstops. I could display what lap a pitstop was.

Google "standard deviation".

Basic examples

For a finite set of numbers, the standard deviation is found by taking the square root of the average of the squared differences of the values from their average value. For example, consider a population consisting of the following eight values:

2,\ 4,\ 4,\ 4,\ 5,\ 5,\ 7,\ 9.

These eight data points have the mean (average) of 5:

\frac{2 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 5 + 5 + 7 + 9}{8} = 5.

First, calculate the difference of each data point from the mean, and square the result of each:

\begin{array}{lll} (2-5)^2 = (-3)^2 = 9 && (5-5)^2 = 0^2 = 0 \\ (4-5)^2 = (-1)^2 = 1 && (5-5)^2 = 0^2 = 0 \\ (4-5)^2 = (-1)^2 = 1 && (7-5)^2 = 2^2 = 4 \\ (4-5)^2 = (-1)^2 = 1 && (9-5)^2 = 4^2 = 16. \\ \end{array}

Next, calculate the mean of these values, and take the square root:

\sqrt{ \frac{9 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 4 + 16}{8} } = 2.

This quantity is the population standard deviation, and is equal to the square root of the variance. This formula is valid only if the eight values we began with form the complete population. If the values instead were a random sample drawn from some larger parent population, then we would have divided by 7 (which is n−1) instead of 8 (which is n) in the denominator of the last formula, and then the quantity thus obtained would be called the sample standard deviation. Dividing by n−1 gives a better estimate of the population standard deviation than dividing by n[citation needed].

As a slightly more complicated real-life example, the average height for adult men in the United States is about 70 inches, with a standard deviation of around 3 inches. This means that most men (about 68 percent, assuming a normal distribution) have a height within 3 inches of the mean (67–73 inches)  – one standard deviation – and almost all men (about 95%) have a height within 6 inches of the mean (64–76 inches) – two standard deviations. If the standard deviation were zero, then all men would be exactly 70 inches tall. If the standard deviation were 20 inches, then men would have much more variable heights, with a typical range of about 50–90 inches. Three standard deviations account for 99.7 percent of the sample population being studied, assuming the distribution is normal (bell-shaped).
Definition of population values

Let X be a random variable with mean value μ:

\operatorname{E}[X] = \mu.\,\!

Here the operator E denotes the average or expected value of X. Then the standard deviation of X is the quantity

\begin{align} \sigma & = \sqrt{\operatorname E[(X - \mu)^2]}\\ & =\sqrt{\operatorname E[X^2] + \operatorname E[(-2 \mu X)] + \operatorname E[\mu^2]} =\sqrt{\operatorname E[X^2] -2 \mu \operatorname E[X] + \mu^2}\\ &=\sqrt{\operatorname E[X^2] -2 \mu^2 + \mu^2} =\sqrt{\operatorname E[X^2] - \mu^2}\\ & =\sqrt{\operatorname E[X^2]-(\operatorname E[X])^2} \end{align}

Now its clearer then mud thanks Wally, still think the first lap and in and out laps for a pitstop totally screw with the lap consistency charts. They are 3 laps where you are stationary and the first lap time will be longer for anyone further down the grid then those up front so it really isnt a great lap to include in the stat.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 07:43:17 PM »
Here you go:

The peak of the graph is your average lap time. One standard deviation on either side of the average is the blue area. The smaller the standard deviation, the closer bunched your times are (the peak is narrower). The bigger the standard deviation, the more spread out your times are (the peak is wider). You're welcome ;)

Anyway, yeah, I'll get rid of the outlier laps. I already don't count your slower start lap.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 08:55:55 PM »
Bugger, the server doesn't output any pitstop information whatsoever.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 08:15:20 AM »
Don't forget to download McLaren skins for tonight from the skins thread!

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 08:59:02 AM »
The average lap will still be truthfully the average lap.  That is the average laptime over the length of the race. 
The only place where it'll be a bit funny is the consistency.  Even then, only where some people may have shorter, others longer stops.

It maybe an idea not to put any weight on consistency this season - i.e. I'd not hand out bonus points for it :)  Otherwise it's fine.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 09:02:35 AM »
Bugger, the server doesn't output any pitstop information whatsoever.

Would be nice if it registered when a car enters the pitlane and exits also stationary time, that way you could force pitstops even without higher fuel use on shorter races. A server option to force stops and tyre change would be nice if you forced people to run 2 different compounds.

Also well worth people practicing some pitstops before the race as its a little clunky as is. Take note if you want to change tyres you need to press one of the tyre options and illuminate your choice. If you dont see the tyre change animation it means they havent changed your tyres. Also with fuel you need to click how much to add then press fill.

You can only practice pitstops in a mp server during a race, if you jump into an empty server you can vote to go to next session and start a race to practice them.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 09:58:54 AM »
M8R is in for cramjet.

The consistency is just for interest; there are no points attached.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 01:26:33 PM »
The allocation of cars is based on the fastest race lap isn't it?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal