Xtreme Gaming Network

Poll: Season 7 cars

Poll

Which option do you want for season 7?

Hypercar Challenge - same car all season (with mid-season swap)
15 (75%)
Car handicaps - Nissan to Lotus Evora GX
5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Poll: Season 7 cars  (Read 37820 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Poll: Season 7 cars
« on: April 29, 2015, 12:41:40 AM »
The two options are:

1 - Hypercar Challenge
  • McLaren P1
  • Ferrari La Ferrari
These cars are very close in performance (with average top 5% laps on RSR of 119.1 and 119.3 seconds respectively).
Like season 6, choose one car and stick with it, with a mid-season swap if you want.

2- Car Handicaps
Like we've done in a past season, the faster guys each round are handicapped by getting a slower car the next round, so you could be driving a different car every week. Cars are ranked on the average top 5% of RSR lap times, all on Slick Medium tyres. The faster you are, the slower the car you get. The slower you are, the faster the car you get. This tightens up the field and gives a lot of close racing.

Cars (from fastest to slowest):
  • Nissan GT-R GT3
  • BMW Z4 GT3
  • Ferrari 458 GT2
  • BMW M3 GT2
  • Lotus Evora GTC
  • Corvette C7R
  • Lotus Evora GX
(I use a program to harvest lap time data from the RSR rank for records set since AC 1.1, which I used to rank the cars in this AC forum post).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:47:38 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Re: Season 7 cars
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 07:27:41 AM »
I think hypercar challenge with reverse grid.  Perhaps doing a reverse grid second race with pitstops? So one sprint race and one long race.

I think the top speed differential in the handicap cars option would make it too imbalanced.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 07:55:55 AM »
I think hypercar challenge with reverse grid.  Perhaps doing a reverse grid second race with pitstops? So one sprint race and one long race.

I think the top speed differential in the handicap cars option would make it too imbalanced.

I like the sound of two races, reverse with pits for the second.

I could take out the Zonda and the 599. They're the odd ones out in terms of top speed.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 08:41:02 AM »

I like the sound of two races, reverse with pits for the second.

I could take out the Zonda and the 599. They're the odd ones out in terms of top speed.

i voted for it!!!!    8)

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 09:07:42 AM »
Id love the the GT series but with the zonda and 599 it may be a little frustrating lol
do you even motorsports?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 09:20:05 AM »
Can't we have a handicapped supercar series (I don't know how many supercars we got...) ?
I'd rather have that, than a joke/fun season like the last.  It was good but let's get back on track!

And tbh I'd rather drive the supercars, we haven't raced any, yet.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 09:52:11 AM »
P1 and lafa are a good combo the zonda is actually quicker then them at most tracks if setup decently, the 599 also thanks to better tyres. Both are a little slower in a straightline but I really wouldnt think putting anyone in a gt car is a good idea. They are slower around a lap and down 40 or more kmh depending on track to all these cars.

If a penalty for being too quick is getting a zonda id like to be too quick and get the quicker car.

Also P1 and laferrari have had fairly big changes to physics with each update since 1.1. I wouldnt take the rsr times too literally in these but they are fairly close to each other. Hypercars vs gt are just a very bad mix I think. The hypercars will be within a second or 2 at most on most tracks with the zonda likely quickest. I think a hypercar series with 2 races as gb suggested would be best.

Using rsr times on medium tyres also isnt a very good idea, you can only set a time in one compound and whatever is your best will show up. The quicker guys will likely set a lap on softs so the times on mediums arent a good representation of true pace even with thise tyres in any car.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:02:14 AM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 10:56:07 AM »
I will always base handicaps on actual RSR lap time averages, post 1.1. For many cars, there are several hundred lap times in the top 5%.

Like before, fastest lap times are taken from race sessions, which will more than likely be on mediums.

There's not many groups of several similar cars that give a close spread of lap times, other than this group or the Lotuses/BMWs that we've already done.

Offline Wobblyone

• Adrenalin is brown...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 11:15:28 AM »
Can't we have a fiat 500 series or something?  I hate Supercars lol

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 12:08:07 PM »
Can't we have a fiat 500 series or something?  I hate Supercars lol

I'll keep mixing it up. We haven't raced hypercars yet. AC has too many cars!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 01:25:55 PM »
Not sure if you remember what happened last time the 599 raced against gt cars, if anyone gets a gt car against the hypers I dont think they will even stick around for race 2. I just dont think it works you could put the tatuus in the same bracket laptime wise but again it just doesnt work with the performance difference. The p1 and laferrari are even faster in a straight line then the 599 so any gt car vs these I really dont think id like to be in the race no matter who is driving the hypers.

I think fairly evenly matched cars with a race 2 reverse grid is better then putting in cars that have no hope again. The 4 hypercars are pretty close but you could just go p1 and lafa if you want a bit closer performing cars. I think there are plenty of guys in that are fairly close through the field and even if race 1 will end up as the same stretched out hotlap session race 2 will mix things up a fair bit.

I do think giving everyone a fair chance this season would be more enjoyable the another mickey mouse season.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 02:07:34 PM »
I'll keep mixing it up. We haven't raced hypercars yet. AC has too soo many cars!
Fixed!

Btw I don't mind a fiat500 series either - but truth to be told, the thursday & tuesday series together give me a nice mix, so I'm good.
I can recommend this treatment to others as well :D

And I agree with Marty as well, that for a whole season this sort of setup is not ideal (i.e. to be in the same predicament all the time).
May I mention the car buying system again, here, just quietly?  It mixes it up perfectly...we used to love it.  I don't get why the reluctance to give it a try again.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:10:50 PM by Bird »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 02:08:49 PM »
I had already said several posts ago that I'll probably remove the Zonda and the 599, after Guybrush pointed out the top speed disparity.

Don't confuse the two options. It's EITHER just the hypers or the handicap group (minus the Zonda and 599).

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 02:44:04 PM »
But the speed differential between the 599, zonda r, laferrari and p1 is not that much. They are actually fairly competitive its the other cars in the handicap group that are way off.

Here RSR for Spa where the speed difference with record laps last round was going by RSR records.
Alfa 155 2:31.620 246kmh
Merc 190E 2:32.853 246kmh
BMW M3 DTM 2:32.713 250kmh
f40 2:35.484 265kmh
458 2:36.384 263kmh
KTM Xbow 2:36.492 227kmh

Now the proposed cars
Zonda R 2:08.722 309kmh
599xx 2:11.237 304kmh
Mclaren P1 2:12.481 310kmh
Laferrari 2:12.906 317kmh
BMW M3 GT2 2:15.782 269kmh
Corvette C7R 2:16.133 261kmh
BMW Z4 gt3 2:16.158 266kmh
Nismo GTR gt3 2:16.116 271kmh
Lotus Evora GTC 2:18.958 259kmh
Lotus EVora GX 2:19.525 256kmh

Disclaim the XBOW from last round as it really had no hope due to the speed difference to all cars with a difference of 38kmh between it and the f40. Between all other cars the top speed difference was only 19kmh.

Now the proposed cars all 4 hypercars have a speed difference of 13kmh and this is the cars that can get the faster lap being the slower top speeds. Add in all the other cars and your looking 48kmh lafa vs gt2 and 61kmh to the evora gX and these slower top speed cars are also giving up 6 seconds or more so have no hope at all of competing.

Car handicaps option is very similar to what we ran a few seasons ago, I think the Evora's ended up winning the season but the 599 in the first race was hopeless to race agains. The Evora's had half a chance in most races assuming the real quick guys didnt get a car that was too quick. I think a p1 v laferrari season would be the best option maybe have an open gt season some other time where some arent always stuck in the little lotus. But adding a hypercar to the mix of gt cars just doesnt work and I thought it was shown fairly clearly with that race at mugello.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:51:02 PM by marty »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 02:56:09 PM »

I'll keep mixing it up. We haven't raced hypercars yet. AC has too soo many cars!
Fixed!

Btw I don't mind a fiat500 series either - but truth to be told, the thursday & tuesday series together give me a nice mix, so I'm good.
I can recommend this treatment to others as well :D

And I agree with Marty as well, that for a whole season this sort of setup is not ideal (i.e. to be in the same predicament all the time).
May I mention the car buying system again, here, just quietly?  It mixes it up perfectly...we used to love it.  I don't get why the reluctance to give it a try again.
Can you explain the car buying system again Bird? :))

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal