Xtreme Gaming Network

Poll: Season 7 cars

Poll

Which option do you want for season 7?

Hypercar Challenge - same car all season (with mid-season swap)
15 (75%)
Car handicaps - Nissan to Lotus Evora GX
5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Poll: Season 7 cars  (Read 38360 times)

Offline Wobblyone

• Adrenalin is brown...
    • View Profile
Re: Season 7 cars
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 02:57:27 PM »
Now not meaning this disrespectfully...but we have a lot of newbie sim racers in the league...if we run Supercars my personal thoughts are with the huge range of setup options that take time and skill to tweak and the few aliens here, plus they are hard to drive it's gonna get boring and frustrating for a lot of guys..small gutless good handling cars with limited setup help the new guys to hone their skills and if we ran reverse grids for final race each meeting over say a shorter lap distance it would mix things up...just a thought...I've not tried many cars on the game but there must be a few different production cars of similar pace?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 03:17:24 PM »
I don't just go by world records, as that's outlier data. I average the top 5% of the lap records, which can be hundreds of laps per car. It gives the best indication of the cars relative speeds.

The car buying scheme is not a true handicap. You can still just choose what car you buy. And then there's the same arguments about the car value.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 03:18:36 PM »
If you have laferrari and P1 they have very limited setup options, even the 599 is very limited. The Zonda R which clearly outclasses these has more setup options but still quite basic compared to the gt cars or even the DTM cars last round. The P1 and Lafferari you can just make basic changes like in most road cars, they are very fast but with ABS and TC not so hard to drive. The thursday nite series runs the slower cars with the 235i atm followed by the Alfa GTA.

I think given some laps in a p1 or Laferrari any guys in the league will be able to get around a lap in them, sure the quicker guys will be quite a bit quicker but this will be the case in any evenly matched cars. Thats why Wally is looking at the handicap system but it would be nice to have an evenly matched grid for a change with just a basic revers grid race 2 to handicap the faster guys a little IMHO.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 03:24:55 PM »
I don't just go by world records, as that's outlier data. I average the top 5% of the lap records, which can be hundreds of laps per car. It gives the best indication of the cars relative speeds.

The car buying scheme is not a true handicap. You can still just choose what car you buy. And then there's the same arguments about the car value.

The speed differential isnt going to make much difference between a guy with the WR and a guy 5 seconds off the pace, it may be 3-5 kmh difference in something like a p1 lafa that has no setup options. GT cars may vary more due to setup but if 17kmh was quite a bit in the last race 60kmh is just crazy. I think the 599 even if driven slower around mugello then in an evora gtc lap time wise was gaining 4 seconds on the straight alone. So someone lapping 2 seconds per lap slower even if 5 seconds off wr pace was against someone running wr pace in an evora the evora had zero hope of beating them unless the guy in 599 had an off.

Last round there was very little hope in the ferraris as they were 3 or more seconds off the pace but at least they were the car with the faster straight line speed, once you give the quicker car around a lap a 50kmh or more advantage racing in the slower car is just frustrating.

Here is how much fun it was behind a 599 in an evora GTC last time we ran the same season.  video is sped up as it was a fairly long race ;) I did pit early to try to get away from the 599's but a small pit error and coming out with hard tyres and a full tank my lap speed was no better after the stop then when being held up by the 599's
[youtube]F5dvNrBmzi4[/youtube]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 03:26:49 PM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 03:25:48 PM »
Yes, the two hypers are just for balls to the wall racing, fastest man winning. That's one option.

The other is to bunch up the field more and give everyone more chance.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 03:27:45 PM »
I'm not having the 599  nor the Zonda in either option. Read my lips :) There won't be a massive speed differential.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 03:34:42 PM »
Then wouldnt the handicap option just be a repeat of the season we had already, fastest guys in the evoras most of the season. With there not being much between the cars, you could have all gt cars running with GT2 GTE pretty much the same, Followed by the GT3 cars and the evoras being the odd ones out. GTC the better car but on worse gt3 tyres still slower then gt3 GX on the better gt2 tyres but a slightly slower car overall. I think this season has already been done while we havent raced hypercars yet other then the few that did the 599 race 1 of the hypercar season.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 03:40:28 PM »
I'm not having the 599  nor the Zonda in either option. Read my lips :) There won't be a massive speed differential.

Ok will read your lips not the text in the poll

Car handicaps - Zonda to Lotus Evora GX

or in he OP  ;D

• Pagani Zonda R (maybe removed if too imbalanced)
  • Ferrari 599XX EVO (maybe removed if too imbalanced)
  • Nissan GT-R GT3
  • BMW Z4 GT3
  • Ferrari 458 GT2
  • BMW M3 GT2
  • Lotus Evora GTC
  • Corvette C7R
  • Lotus Evora GX
(I use a program to harvest lap time data from the RSR rank for records set since AC 1.1, which I used to rank the cars in this AC forum post).

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 04:15:21 PM »
Hey, I'm doing well to keep up on my phone! I'll edit the poll text later.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 04:49:03 PM »
This argument goes on every season.

I'm kinda with wobbles. Would love us all in cars that we can all drive to its limit.
Most of the hypercars you need to have some alien in you. Possibly one that is stiff in the front....

But whatever. I'm happy as long as can make some skins..... and crash marty out of a few hot laps.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 05:22:29 PM »
My mission is to include every car in one season or another! Different strokes for different folks.

We've only had the car handicap discussion in one season out of 6 so far, nudge, nudge.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 05:42:25 PM »

I could argue it's a much better, self-regulating handicap system.  Not a true handicap in the sense that it's not a ballast, indeed. It's just cars.
The ONLY argument is the car value & the earnings - and that is also the fine-tuning, that can be changed even mid-season without devastating effects :)

...Would love us all in cars that we can all drive to its limit.
Most of the hypercars you need to have some alien in you. Possibly one that is stiff in the front......
I don't think there's a single car that everyone can drive to its limit...although the BMW on thursdays comes pretty close :)
And I don't think just because a car is harder to drive, you should be afraid of it.  The way to learn & embetter yourself is to drive cars that are a bit of a handful.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 05:47:05 PM by Bird »

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2015, 05:43:47 PM »
I voted Hypercars. ;D
I'll be back for this season ;D ;D
(should be back by the weekend ;D ;D ;D)

2+2=√16

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2015, 05:45:24 PM »
A little OT, but I wonder what it would be like if you had a large range of cars and then randomly assigned them to people with a different car for each race - obviously not letting the same person get randomly assigned a car they have already had.  I'm sure this would be pretty easy to do in a spreadsheet.

To be honest, I'm happy with whatever is selected, although changing up the cars would be nice as we have already run the GT's.  But at the end of the day the racing will be good, we will all crash and all pass and get passed, and then come back again for a change in 6 or so weeks.  Plenty of time.  All good :)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2015, 05:48:05 PM »
Can you explain the car buying system again Bird? :))

You need an alien who's hard at the front at your behind, that's how it works! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal