Xtreme Gaming Network

Triple screen confusion

Author Topic: Triple screen confusion  (Read 18603 times)

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Triple screen confusion
« on: January 12, 2018, 07:29:33 PM »
Ever since I went to triple screens I seem to be well off the pace and have difficulty even keeping it on the track, both in AC and rF2.
Was just playing around with it and discovered I can turn off Triple Screen in AC and Multiscreen in rF2 and yet I still get all 3 screens being used.
Not only that but the cars seem much easier to drive. I am guessing this has something to do with the fov.
 I assume they still use all 3 screens because I have the screen resolution to 5760x1080, but why then do these sims have this option of Triple Screen and Multiscreen and what is the difference?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:50:02 PM by gawaterman »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Re: Triple screen confusion
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 08:24:37 PM »
I've just been through setting my triple screen FOV in AC after getting a new wheel. The results was huge with a big jump in realism.

I started with this article on driving position and set my seat, pedals and wheel at the recommended heights.

http://www.ricmotech.com/v/vspfiles/downloadables/Driver_Position.pdf

I then did the following steps to setup the monitors and AC:

1. I positioned my centre screen as close to the back of my wheelbase as I could. This ended up being right at the end of the wheel base housing due to my monitor stand.
2. I then positioned the height the monitor so that height of my eyes were at the middle of the screen.
3. I measured the distance to my eyes. For me this was 700mm.
4. I then positioned each side monitor so that if I turned my head to look at the centre of each monitor then they were square on to my eyes.
5. The angle of my side monitors turned out to be about 42 degrees.
6. I then fed these numbers into the AC triple app. ie 700mm, 42degrees and the sizes of the monitors.

The result is that I get a perfect FOV for every car in AC without changing any of the driver view settings. I used to have to change the PITCH setting in every car. Now it is perfect using the default set by Aris. Also, I look through the steering wheel at the car's dash as you do in a real car. The sensation of car height is very real. You feel low in the KTM for example.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 09:03:43 PM »
I just realised I didn't really answer your question. The games modify the perspective of the image in the side monitors according to the angle of the monitor and the defined FOV. In AC you set the FOV by entering the measurements mentioned above. If you play with the angle slider in AC you can see the perspective changing as you change the angle.

The result is that you can glance to the side where the rear view mirror is in a real car and see it in the side monitor exactly the same. IF you have set it up correctly.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 09:04:12 PM »
Yes, I just use the in game triple screen app for ac

This may be handy for other games
http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/howto.php?g=pCARS
http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php

I read this to work out driving position
http://obutto.com/information/proper-race-driving-position/
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 09:20:11 PM »
Being tall, I sit quite "high" in other words my wheel is quite low. I nowhere near look through the wheel at the dash. I guess I've got used to it, but it's not a very realistic seating or viewing position.

When you guys say you've got the perfect FOV, do you find that you are sacrificing some peripheral vision though? I think it would be good to see some triple screen screenshots, using the same car. How about if we put up some cockpit view screenshots in say the BMW M235i?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 09:34:41 PM »
I remember doing a lot and a lot of tuning. It's not easy. You need to get the right dimensions, angles, and so on. but even then, there is some finetuning to do with your eyes. One lucky thing for me is that they have my own car in AC, with just minor details being different. So every day for a while I measured how things "looked" to me putting my fingers at a given distance from my eyes in my car and then replicate in the game In the end, I was really satisfied.

I second the recommendation that the closer the monitors, the better. 45 degrees worked ok for me. and then you want to match the wheel, the hands of the drivers as much as possible (considering that not all wheels have the same diameter. Finally, pitch is important. I am not very tall and like to seat low, so I was often in the chin of the AC driver. ;)

Online Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:55:16 PM »
...do you find that you are sacrificing some peripheral vision though...

Is 180° sacrificing any peripheral vision?

OTTOH 3x2560*1440 27" 540mm from screens at 62° with all the bezels to add and subtract it comes out to 180° viewable
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Online Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 11:30:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, will try some of those recommendations in the links, but it felt like to me that without ticking the Triple screen button everything looked just perfect, but will continue to experiment.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 07:51:07 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys, will try some of those recommendations in the links, but it felt like to me that without ticking the Triple screen button everything looked just perfect, but will continue to experiment.
That would be correct if you have little or no angle on your side monitors and the game is set to have an angle such as 45 degrees. When you uncheck the Triple option it would look "correct" in that case.

Offline RussG

• View Profile
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 11:00:16 AM »
That would be correct if you have little or no angle on your side monitors and the game is set to have an angle such as 45 degrees. When you uncheck the Triple option it would look "correct" in that case.
[/quote]
I do have them at 45 deg

Online Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 11:29:12 AM »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal