Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 4: Monza race chat

Author Topic: Round 4: Monza race chat  (Read 60370 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Round 4: Monza race chat
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2014, 10:26:38 PM »
Race Results
Season Standings
Season Statistics

Congratulations to Guybrush on the race wins as well as the round win.

Round Points
Guybrush Threepwood   50
Marty   46
Wally   43
StanDaam   43
Freezer   38
cramjet   37
Bacchulum   32
Rob   32
Glen73   31
Ysu   29
Crimespree   29
Rolz   23
Gratulin   23
Dave O   22
Vipergod   21
Grubbet   18
Imperious   16
Insomniac   15
GWyar   10
Dick Forrest   8
Mopz   0

The championship top 3 is now:
1. Marty 136
2. Wally 130
3. Guybrush 126

Achilles Heels have taken the team lead from TKO Racing after a dominant performance here.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2014, 10:38:19 PM »
I qualified with a PB on softs, because I'd been doing all my practice on hards.

Race 1 was entertaining. After a clean run through the first chicane, I put a bit of early pressure on Glen73, and a small mistake from him let me past. Then I was chasing Bird, giving my teammate a respectable amount of room, but he had a spin or an off. I had a good bit of cat and mouse with StanDaam, a bit of slipstreaming, gaining position and giving it back which was good side by side racing (playing chicken into the first chicane was great). Eventually he made a little mistake and I was past and pulling away, but then I touched a kerb (Lesmo 2, I think it was) and let Stan and Rob back past. Set off again chasing them, and Rob had a spin, but I couldn't catch Stan, drafting him down the straight to the finish to be 0.37 secs behind him. That was a fun race.

Race 2, again a clean start through the chicane, chasing Marty and Guybrush who eventually disappeared into the distance. It ended up being a pretty lonely race, staying in 3rd the whole way, with no mistakes but no pressure.

Well done to the Achilles Heels guys on a dominant performance.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2014, 08:14:48 AM »
Thanks for the results, Wally!

I've had a shocking 1st race.  After my 3rd mistake I just gave up watching and made another 3 or so.

The 2nd race was somewhat tainted by the low frame rate that has kicked in right at the start of the race.  It was very annoying to drive at ~30fps I tells ya.  But it somehow kept me on my toes a bit more.   Still, the inevitable mistake came.  But at least it wasn't that bad.    Had a few good battles to keep me awake.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:35:46 AM by Bird »

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2014, 08:31:08 AM »
As usual it was a great laugh with you all!
Monza, any mistakes are amplified by it's long straights. I'm not sure if there was much dicing going on? or where we all kinda spread out?
 I totally lucked out in the 1st race. Got caught up in a prang in Parabolica, Gratulin might feel responsible but he's not. Racing is. That's just how it goes. Gotta take these things on the chin and get back out there. Would have been better story if he took me out between the two lesbos.

That's where I got stuck though lol. Bottomed out in the sand trap. so if I was going to get out of my car and rage-point at anyone it would be Guybrush for his 'lower than the ground' set-ups.   ;)  Too soon?
 Having to sit out the rest of the race is a bummer but that will be fixed sooner or later.
I was looking forward to putting points on the board for CramDick Racing but mehh. What can ya do.

2nd race stayed on the black stuff mostly. cut the 1st chicane to avoid cars. not sure if I gained any position but stuff yas! I'm away..
Don't know what position i was in. ended up choking under pressure from Rob through the Parabolica and into the sand where I ran into GW and he then got bogged.. So i got revenge for race 1 on someone! lols sorry GW!
ended up 19th. 

Offline cramjet

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2014, 09:56:43 AM »
First race I qualified 11th or so and worked my way through the field (thanks to some wrecks up front) up to 7th. Even back in the pack things spread out quite quickly which made for a safe but uninteresting race.

Second race I somehow qualified 4th. I don't seem to lose much pace in a low grip environment (probably because there's none to begin with) but fell back to 7th in the opening laps. I was definitively outclassed that far up! Managed to hold on for 6th though so not a bad result :D

I know it's more pronounced at Monza but that just felt like a hot lapping session. I'm looking forward to the handicapped cars next season which will definitely tighten things up. I liked Marty's suggestion of an exo's for Dick - is that a team order?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2014, 11:11:21 AM »
My races turned out as I expected as I just didnt have the pace to match Guybrush, found this out whioe we ran a few practice races during the week and we also ran a 5x wear 14 lapper where the same happened. He is just too quick and makes less mistakes then me. Race 1 he made a small mistake in the second chicane on lap 1 so I had a half chance but couldnt pull it off. Then just saw those behind me getting closer as we slowed eachother down running side by side so I figured id hold back on making moves early. I thought if I could hang then try something when there was a larger gap to those behind. No chance of that as Guys car just got a little smaller every lap.  ;D

Race 2 I tried pushing a bit more but still trying to avoid kerbs for the most part much less then id use for qualy. I never even had a sniff as Guy put in some very quick laps early and then the gap just kept slowly growing. I kind of hoped he may have wear issues but the gap was already out quite a bit by lap 10 so he would have needed a wheel to come off for me to catch him. It was pretty much a hotlap session as I tried to stay close enough so Guy knew an off would cost him the lead but it wasnt anywhere near enough pressure for him.

I think it would have been quite fun as a reverse grid race but seems like other then those that had incidents most held their grid spots in the races. Next season should be quite fun as trying a few of the slower cars I had fun chasing down some of the quicker cars and it should really even out the racing a bit.

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2014, 11:24:12 AM »
First race I grabbed guybrush set (awesome setup mate)  and with 15 minutes remaining in practise shaved 2 seconds off my previous best to hit a 54,, would not have been hard to do as I only did a half hour practice.  In qualifying managed a 53.4 which was pretty good considering,  but I only just touched the surface of what this setup was capable of, with time against me into race one I went in 5th place on the grid.

Made an error on a corner exit which Wally was happy to take advantage of, then somehow Freezer and I came together after I over took him. In my mirrors I thought I was clear as I could see his whole car in side mirror and went to assume a normal racing line on corner entry but he ended up clipping my right rear. Spun out but came home in 8th.

Race two qualified 8th and finished 11th. Messed up a few times all by myself, at one stage completely missed a brake marker, poor Rob probably thought I was racing for sheep stations but I wasn't, just a brain fade.....

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2014, 12:18:41 PM »
Race 1 totally forgot about cold hards and 97% grip and went into Parabolica flat out. Would have been alright if it affected just me but I also took out nearly everyone on my tail! Apologies. But lesson learned. Again :(

Race 2 I was more careful. Had a couple of tight battles which were pretty entertaining - hope my close driving is getting better. There were a couple of clips with other cars while fighting for corners. I think they were just racing incidents but appreciate any feedback if not.

Very enjoyable yet again. Great series.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2014, 02:14:47 PM »
Qual: After not getting close in practice I managed to crack the 1.53 for a pb and 7th.
R1: Got away cleanly with everyone seeming to get through T1 without major incident which was good.  I ran a bit higher downforce than most which meant I could only hold the gap on the straights but it was good under brakes particularly and a bit more stable in the bends. I managed to get a run on Glen into T1.  He then got a run on me into the second chicane but unfortunately came back across to early and hit the front of my car and we both went into the fence.   Luckily only dropped two spots and got going.   From there I just focused on keeping it clean and with a few others having incidents managed to get home 5th.
Q2: Not nearly as quick but still hung on to 7th.
R2: A few bumps this time into T1 but we got through.  In the mid race I was very gradually catching Cramjet, but unfortunately when I did I tagged his rear under brakes.  Thankfully he hung on to it and we got going again and he very generously let me through.  Probably had my worst lap all night on the last with Ysu catching, having traded places the previous lap, I missed the entry to Ascari and straight lined all three parts of that section letting Ysu past in the process.  Dragged it home in 7th.

Medium tyres held in well in R1 setting my quickest lap on the 2nd last, but had to try hards for the first time in R2 given all the talk of 5x wear.  They felt good with about 0.5sec time loss per lap.  Possibly the higher down force helped the wear.

G0RGAK

« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2014, 03:18:22 PM »
Shit forgot it was tuesday yesterday........  :-\

Rolz

« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2014, 05:50:06 PM »

for my first season sim racing (here with AC in the BMW's) I actually locked in a calendar reminder... sad I know but it also stopped the fiance from trying to get me to go to stuff... "Ah sorry babes, busy that night!"

average night last night... pulled a PB in qual that I was stoked with over .5sec better, bummer RSR was playing up for me and didn't register it...

Monza is just too unforgiving for me... I still make too many mistakes and like DF said it just wastes you in any time or anything because of the long straights... I think I also suck at the slow hard S bends... Monza, Imola especially... just more racing time I think...

Still as always a pleasure racing with you gents  ;D

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2014, 08:12:33 PM »
and tomorrow will be Thursday . . .    ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal