Xtreme Gaming Network

S9R2: Zandvoort pre-race chat

Author Topic: S9R2: Zandvoort pre-race chat  (Read 37040 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S9R2: Zandvoort pre-race chat
« on: October 20, 2015, 11:19:36 PM »
[track download, 30 pit boxes].

10 laps and 20 laps

Weather Forecast
"For Zandvoort Circuit in the coming week the average daytime maximum temperature will be around 14°C, with a high for the week of 15°C expected on the afternoon of Tuesday 27th."

Entry List (and ballast)
Bacchulum    28
Bafs17    0
Chap111    0
christopheraser    60
EdWood    121
Freezer    63
G0RGAK    0
Grat    108
Grubbet    7
Guybrush Threepwood    130
Jeremy    100
Joe    32
Mael    0
Marty    120
Matthew111    86
Phil.8    100
Rolz    57
Schmittez    0
Simone    38
Skaife    40
StanDaam    89
Wally    46
Will    104
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:37:05 AM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Re: S9R2: Zandvoort pre-race chat
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 06:29:42 AM »
Wally I'm not quite getting the ballast thing - the only round I've done so far was Silverstone where in Race 1 I was about 2 to 3 seconds a lap slower than the leading pack, then got lumped with more ballast which resulted in being 5 to 6 seconds a lap slower in Race 2, and now I still have the most ballast...  Excuse my ignorance :)

I wonder if the session ending before some of us had finished our race in Race 2 has nerfed the ballast?  Would it be best to have no session end time for the race and just end it manually?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 06:35:21 AM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 06:58:03 AM »
Wally I'm not quite getting the ballast thing - the only round I've done so far was Silverstone where in Race 1 I was about 2 to 3 seconds a lap slower than the leading pack, then got lumped with more ballast which resulted in being 5 to 6 seconds a lap slower in Race 2, and now I still have the most ballast...  Excuse my ignorance :)

I wonder if the session ending before some of us had finished our race in Race 2 has nerfed the ballast?  Would it be best to have no session end time for the race and just end it manually?

It's not about how much slower you were than the leading pack, its about how much slower you are than the average. In race 1, you did 1:47.353, and the average was 1:47.923, so you had to be slowed down by 0.57 seconds, so you got an extra 28kg. What was surprising though, that with only an extra 28kg, you were suddenly only capable of 1:51.755 in race 2, 4.2 seconds slower! There's no way 28kg can slow you down by 4.2 seconds.

Did you have damage in race 2? Bad throttle pedal?

As a result of your really slow race 2 lap times, the system took nearly all of your ballast away, which clearly is going to leave you too fast, so I manually adjusted you back to 130kg, which I thought was about the mark for you, as you came 4th in race 1 with 130kg.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 07:30:12 AM »
Yes I got cleaned up a couple of times  but with the dramatic increase in ballast my setup was pretty much useless anyway.   Shouldn't the system be used for everything?  It seems that it is being used to put ballast on,  but not so much for taking it off?   Wouldn't the idea be that if you are lumped with heaps of ballast which puts you way back down the field and prevents you from getting a good result that the opposite should also occur so it evens things out from a championship perspective?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 08:15:37 AM »
Ballast comes off too. You go up and down. Plenty of people lost ballast.

It's not result based, but speed  based. So even if you set a really good time, but still come last for reasons like spins or whatever, you will still get more ballast. Next race, with a fresh qually, you'll be right in the thick of things again.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 08:48:53 AM »
Yes, but it doesn't seem that my lap times have been used from race 2, so in effect I've shouldered the burden of max ballast in a race with slow lap times but then this has been manually struck from the records and I've ended up with even more ballast comparative to others.  Why not use the same system for everyone?

It's not really about just the next race as the ballast amounts are probably not too far off the mark, but more so the championship so that if you have had a huge amount of ballast + slow lap times and lost a lot of points, that you then have the opportunity to have the reverse occur so you can make up some of those lost points.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.  Happy to give it a shot and see where we all end up :)

Actually, looking at the ballast a bit more closely, it probably is ok.  It looks like most people have had a fair increase.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:54:36 AM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 08:51:58 AM »
I think maybe the ballast should be calculated on your best lap in either qualy or race. For example chritopheraser was doing 1:45's every session yet had no ballast all nite. He did crash early in race 1 but showed his pace in qualy. He also did 1:45.4 in race 2 vs me 1:46.6 and there is a 40kg difference in our ballast thus round which doesnt quite add up. And of that I gained 33kg and he gained 60kg so only a 27kg difference yet I was 1.4 seconds slower.

Also as I said with Jeremy he had no hope in race 1 and was clearly going to be slowest in where the system gives him no ballast race 2. But he then got manually adjusted, its a double penalty of having no hope in race 1 and still quite heavy in race 2. His best lap in race 2 was 1:48.2 vs my 14:6.6 and Christoph 1:45.4 yet his ballast is only 20kg less then me and 40 more then Christoph who had him by 3 seconds.

Basically it doesnt seem to make much sense to me and if the system needs manual adjustments for a few people then maybe it could be done in a better way, so it works for all without need for manual adjustments. Fair enough to start someone with more ballast in their first run as GB and I got. But once we are in I think the same system should apply to all to try get everyone close to the same pace.

I just dont see the benefit of giving so much ballast that the guys normally up front now have no chance of being there. Ideally everyone should still be able to challenge for the win every race and nobody should easily be seconds faster then the field.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:55:49 AM by marty »

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 08:58:48 AM »
Yes, I think the issue is that those who didn't have data from previous rounds (or crashed, etc.) were not given any ballast (except for Marty and I).  Maybe anyone without data is given the average ballast instead?  So perhaps even at the start of a season everyone starts with, say, 70 kg and it's adjusted from there - and anyone who joins mid-way through is given that same ballast (70kg)?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
Wally I tried to setup the practice server with the 30 grid Zandvoort circuit, for some reason this version isn't showing up in the acServerManager. I remember we came across some issues running this variant on the nite, I thought I had the fixed one installed on my system but this doesn't show and I re downloaded the one linked in the first post and it still doesn't show.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 08:23:08 PM »
Wally I tried to setup the practice server with the 30 grid Zandvoort circuit, for some reason this version isn't showing up in the acServerManager. I remember we came across some issues running this variant on the nite, I thought I had the fixed one installed on my system but this doesn't show and I re downloaded the one linked in the first post and it still doesn't show.
We did have a problem where one of the kn5 files had an extra "b" at the end of the file name, but the modder has fixed that in version 1.1 of the download. I think it never showed in the acServerManager - does it work if you just manually put this in the server cfg?

TRACK=ks_zandvoort[/color]CONFIG_TRACK=ks_zandvoort_osrw[/size]

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 01:42:20 PM »
Server has been set up with the 30 grid zandvoort track, basic welcome screen also gives some race info and how to adjust ballast if needed.

Here is the stracker link to the combo
http://54.79.75.81:50041/lapstat?track=ks_zandvoort-ks_zandvoort_osrw&cars=vsfr-formularenault35_2014_hdf&valid=1,2&date_from=&date_to=
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:56:30 PM by marty »

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 07:00:02 PM »
Yeah, I should be on 28kg, not the 0kg listed above.

2+2=√16

Offline Schmittez

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 08:28:39 PM »
Unfortunately I'm out this week wont have access to my desktop or wheel.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 12:04:12 AM »
Just ran a few laps on the prac server, car feels ok with 120kg, must be awesome with no ballast but darn it feels quick enough nice and heavy. Love the track not sure if there will be many passing opportunities like Silverstone, but such a blast driving an aero car around this place.

Stracker is running on the server but you may need to run ptracker latest experimental 3.10 in order to connect to the server, setup sharing should now work with this new build of ptracker/stracker so well worth the upgrade.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 07:37:42 AM »
Yeah, I should be on 28kg, not the 0kg listed above.
Fixed. My list was up to date, but I hadn't updated that post.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal