Xtreme Gaming Network

Ballast

Author Topic: Ballast  (Read 39376 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Ballast
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2015, 01:05:56 AM »
Thanks Wally all sounds good there.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2015, 07:36:46 AM »
Wally: thank you very much for your replies and FAQ. It is incredible how you manage to cope with all our questions instead of telling us to f** off.

One little thing: "Every system of rules can be gamed." There are theorems about this. In the specific case, we want the ranking order to be the same (that is, we want to make everybody closer, but without inverting positions). Therefore, the plan we want to implement is Maskin-monotonic. Then the theorem says that a system of rules that gives the correct ballasts and cannot be gamed exists. Admittedly, it might be very hard to figure it out and annoying to implement, but it is still a mathematical truth that such a system exists.

I am only half-serious, of course, but I thought you would have found this result at least fascinating. ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2015, 08:23:10 AM »

Wally: thank you very much for your replies and FAQ. It is incredible how you manage to cope with all our questions instead of telling us to f** off.

One little thing: "Every system of rules can be gamed." There are theorems about this. In the specific case, we want the ranking order to be the same (that is, we want to make everybody closer, but without inverting positions). Therefore, the plan we want to implement is Maskin-monotonic. Then the theorem says that a system of rules that gives the correct ballasts and cannot be gamed exists. Admittedly, it might be very hard to figure it out and annoying to implement, but it is still a mathematical truth that such a system exists.

I am only half-serious, of course, but I thought you would have found this result at least fascinating. ;)

All good opportunities to practice Zen ;)

I'd forgotten you are a games theorist. I suppose all it would take is to increase the points rewards for carrying ballast, to provide a disincentive to deliberately going slow. Lose ballast, but lose more points than you would gain by finishing higher.

But the biggest reward of making sure you have the appropriately balancing ballast is close racing! Sure, you can drop all your ballast by throwing a race, but then all you've earned is a boring hotlapping session out in front the next race.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2015, 08:37:43 AM »
I think if anything needs changing (and I believe with the changes Wally has implemented that all will be well), change a little bit, evaluate and change a little bit more if required.  I guess the danger is jumping too fast without a good range of data.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2015, 09:24:32 AM »
But the biggest reward of making sure you have the appropriately balancing ballast is close racing! Sure, you can drop all your ballast by throwing a race, but then all you've earned is a boring hotlapping session out in front the next race.

Ahahah! I'd forgotten you are a behavioralist ;) But you are right. Touché.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2015, 02:02:18 PM »
I dunno guys,so complicated.During qual in the last race twice my hotlap has been ruined by a very heavy driver this is not fair and a bit silly for both parties.
I sometimes (often)race with other leagues and we race without ballast and i cant see any difference in this obsession of keeping the group close,You know my point of view and its for a ballast free enviroment,fix setups,100% damage racing,the closer it can gets to a real deal on the track.

Of course see you at zandvoort where i will pass wally again..... 8) 8) 8)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2015, 02:24:33 PM »
I dunno guys,so complicated.During qual in the last race twice my hotlap has been ruined by a very heavy driver this is not fair and a bit silly for both parties.
I sometimes (often)race with other leagues and we race without ballast and i cant see any difference in this obsession of keeping the group close,You know my point of view and its for a ballast free enviroment,fix setups,100% damage racing,the closer it can gets to a real deal on the track.

If I didn't have any ballast, you'd never see me 8)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »

Ballast or not I have quite often been held up behind a slower driver in qualy, if they are on an out lap they should let everyone past but if they are on a hotlap they are entitled to the regular fast line on their qualy laps and people behind its tough luck. Track map is quite handy to try and find yourself a gap and make sure you have a clean run on your qualy lap.

I think I have stuffed more qualy sessions in earlier seasons then I got correct leaving some clear track, but I seem to either have got luckier or better at finding some clear space recently. It really doesn't make much difference if there is ballast or not as either way there may be 4 or 5 seconds between the fastest and slowest guys, maybe with ballast its made it easier to find space as my car is more midpack pace now.

For guys running no ballast or not enough for them and lapping way quicker then everyone else let me shed a couple tears for you and your trouble finding space in qualy.  :'(  ;D

If ballast actually closed the gaps down between fastest and slowest then in theory it should make it easier to get a clear run as you wont gain so much time on anyone in the session.  ;)

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2015, 05:36:23 PM »
Hey wally ,,,cant believe you used the ballast as an excuse,anyhow i dont know but in the movie it looks like is you in my mirrors,,,aren`t  ya mate?

....thats the way i like it!!!!!

Of course Marty if they are lapping for time too bad...ye ye  Marty....ye...sure matey  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 05:39:22 PM by Simone »

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2015, 06:18:17 PM »

I remember being once this Tuesday ahead of you in quali. I was on my first fast lap so I tried to do my time, but I noticed you were faster. So as soon as I made a mistake, I let you pass (just after Stowe). But in truth I did it mostly because I wanted to run my second attempt without anybody in less than a second either ahead or behind me.

Of course with the early rounds big swings in ballast, somebody is going to be much faster than others... perhaps you are not used to? ;) ;D 8) :-*

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2015, 06:26:44 PM »
Hey wally ,,,cant believe you used the ballast as an excuse,anyhow i dont know but in the movie it looks like is you in my mirrors,,,aren`t  ya mate?

....thats the way i like it!!!!!

Of course Marty if they are lapping for time too bad...ye ye  Marty....ye...sure matey  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Yeah, that's me and my caravan keeping up with you ;)

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2015, 06:50:17 PM »
Lol, love the trash talk!  Keep it going!

I found some hidden footage of one of the Golden Goat Gatherers getting driving lessons in preparation for the next race:

[youtube]QbXeoOhPYyo[/youtube]

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2015, 07:04:33 PM »
Lol, love the trash talk!  Keep it going!

I found some hidden footage of one of the Golden Goat Gatherers getting driving lessons in preparation for the next race:

[youtube]QbXeoOhPYyo[/youtube]

I cant tell which one of these is Stan, its possible he is in the scene Eddie murphy style and playing both characters which is my most likely conclusion.

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2015, 09:18:18 PM »
I can't believe you found that video!!
My first Tuesday night race... ahh good times...  :-X
I'm still not sure if Simone likes ballast or not... but hey where's my popcorn...  :-*

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2015, 09:34:17 PM »
I think Simone is one of ballast's greatest advocates.  From what I can tell he is basically saying Wally would be too far in front without it???

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal