Xtreme Gaming Network

S19R6: Shanghai Race Chat

Author Topic: S19R6: Shanghai Race Chat  (Read 21605 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« on: November 14, 2017, 11:05:51 PM »
R6, Nov 21: Shanghai (Grand Prix) [DOWNLOAD]

Weather is 22 degrees and clear, with light winds.

Shangahi is a track with quite a few very slow corners and not many places for the LMP1s to stretch their legs. It will be a race requiring some patience.

[youtube]w88z1AGoiVQ[/youtube]

Rolling Start Procedure
We need to maintain more consistent speeds during the formation lap to avoid accidents and collisions. As said before, please don't go higher than 2nd gear and try to maintain a consistent speed, without as much speeding up and slowing down as we had at Paul Ricard. Little speed ups and slow downs at the front of the field are magnified as you go down through the field, which is not fair on the tail of the field.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: S19R6: Shanghai Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 01:59:17 PM »
Did a few exploration laps, it certainly is a different circuit. Track cuts is going to be an issue for me but did end up having to run a longer top gear. Since the boost is not worth much in the corners you can save it for the two long straights  :)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 03:36:36 PM »
I thought there would be two GOGOGO's - one for LMP and one for GT3. If not then the front of the GT3 field gets a huge advantage due to the backup through the last turn for the back of the GT3 field. By the time we get around the last turn the GT3 front runners have accelerated through most of the start/finish straight whereas most of the GT3 field should be around the last turn before the GT3 leader passes the start line and accerates from 2nd gear. The fGT3 leader should actually watch their map to make sure the field is bunched up before passing the start line.

Offline ab156

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 06:50:43 PM »
Wally - if there are any open slots I would be keen for a guest appearance.  Just returned from extended leave so eager to get back out on track.

GT3 in the Z4 I guess.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 07:53:43 PM »
Wally - if there are any open slots I would be keen for a guest appearance.  Just returned from extended leave so eager to get back out on track.

GT3 in the Z4 I guess.
Yes sure. I'll set you up in the Z4.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:17:35 AM »
I thought there would be two GOGOGO's - one for LMP and one for GT3. If not then the front of the GT3 field gets a huge advantage due to the backup through the last turn for the back of the GT3 field. By the time we get around the last turn the GT3 front runners have accelerated through most of the start/finish straight whereas most of the GT3 field should be around the last turn before the GT3 leader passes the start line and accerates from 2nd gear. The fGT3 leader should actually watch their map to make sure the field is bunched up before passing the start line.
Let's try the GT3s delaying their rolling start by say, 30 seconds, to have two distinct groups of cars.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 11:01:14 AM »
Let's try the GT3s delaying their rolling start by say, 30 seconds, to have two distinct groups of cars.
That would fix it I think because it maybe that the GT3 Leaders are trying to keep up with the LMPs on the formation lap causing the dramatic changes in pace at the back.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 11:43:22 AM »
I think nominating a top speed rather than 2nd gear would be more specific as to what needs to happen!
And keeping that speed down say 80Km/h should reduce the lag front front to rear of the field.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 11:53:28 AM »
I think nominating a top speed rather than 2nd gear would be more specific as to what needs to happen!
And keeping that speed down say 80Km/h should reduce the lag front front to rear of the field.
I think it's easier to stay in 2nd gear. It acts as a natural speed limiter, and you don't have to watch your speed at all. You can just do it by ear and keep your eyes on the cars around you. Experience shows it's not so easy to stick to a nominated speed on a formation lap.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 12:09:08 PM »
I think the problem is everyone is trying to stay to close to the car in front,  look a t a real race they leave heaps and heap of room so they can weave and brake hard, should be a 4 - 6 car gap between each car, only video I could find to show it is this Grand turismo one :(

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 01:35:24 PM »
I think the problem is everyone is trying to stay to close to the car in front,  look a t a real race they leave heaps and heap of room so they can weave and brake hard, should be a 4 - 6 car gap between each car, only video I could find to show it is this Grand turismo one
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:04:40 PM by Gratulin »

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 02:03:51 PM »
Agreed but they do rely on the fact that the leader bunches the field around the final corner before the start.

So it is all Grat's fault?  ;D 

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 03:17:20 PM »
The problem with a large gap is everyone then has to speed up even more, then brake, to close it before the start.
At the back of the LMP's, I've had to almost need the boost to catch up.

2+2=√16

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 07:07:19 PM »
Just my two cents:

I side with Phil that the issue is that most people seem to think you always need to be packed and close to the front-runner. But there's no need. The front-runners will need to wait. Whenever I have been the pole sitter, I have always had a few looks at the map on the last 2 corners to make sure almost everybody was there. It is in my interest not to make the field too spread as, if I have to wait for too long on the last 2 corners, then my tyres would cool down too much.

Of course all must be within reason: you cannot leave a 10-car space in front of you. But 4 to 6 is perfectly fine. Just remember that when you get to the last 2 or 3 corners you should bunch up.

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 10:14:18 PM »
I think it's easier to stay in 2nd gear. It acts as a natural speed limiter, and you don't have to watch your speed at all. You can just do it by ear and keep your eyes on the cars around you. Experience shows it's not so easy to stick to a nominated speed on a formation lap.

Problem is no one is doing that Wally. I was in 5th trying to catch the gt3s in front on the straight after coming out of the chicane.. 
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal