Xtreme Gaming Network

Oceanic AC Event

Author Topic: Oceanic AC Event  (Read 25075 times)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Oceanic AC Event
« on: July 29, 2015, 10:17:47 PM »
Hi guys.

The aim is to have an AC event getting everyone together in this corner of the earth. 

I've canvassed interest across a few different leagues in Aus & NZ, namely ARSE, ROOZ, ASR, and ASRNZ.  There seems to be some interest.

So I guess I should find out who would be keen from little old XGN?

The idea is thus:

* Select a date at the end of the upcoming season, trying to fit in between seasons for the other leagues as well.

* Each league pick a combo, and then each league runs a poll with each different combo to vote for.  Combine all votes from every league to see which combo is selected.  (I'm sure we aren't that up tight we will only pick and vote for combos we think we will win in).

* Run a pre-qualifying server with the selected combo for 1 week where everyone across all leagues must set a time (if they want to race).  The idea is that everyone gets to be involved and no-one is left out.

* Times from qualifying server are used to create "divisions" based on pace.  Number of divisions depends on number of people who want to race and what times people are setting.

* Each league runs a server for a particular division, all with the same car/track combo.

* Race night = qual + 2 races: 1 x sprint and 1 x long race with pit stops.

* Compare total race time across all divisions for results.

So what does everyone think, and who is interested?  It's an opportunity for us to be a part of something wide-reaching and to get to know and race along-side our fellow AC drivers in the region, building a real sense of a sim-racing community among us all.

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
Re: Oceanic AC Event
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 10:28:48 PM »
Yep sounds good GB ---> Keen +1  :P

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 11:53:36 PM »
Yep, it's something different and a good idea.

Why not have a consistent points scoring in all divisions, then total points for each league? If you only total times, where a lower total is better, then a team benefits from having fewer members. If you go by points, that's more of an incentive to have more participants.

Who runs on 1 server? I.e. how many teams on one server? If we have 5 teams represented, then say 4 players from each on any one server, for a total of 20 racers per server?

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 06:20:31 AM »
I was thinking that we could compare times for individual results and then perhaps have points for the team result? . As much as it would be good to build some rivalry and interest by having team v team, I'd also like it to be individually based so we interact with the other leagues some more and not hold out on them or put it in place team blocking tactics,  etc.  I mean it would be good if we could have one TS server everyone could join for that qualifying week, and then separate ones for each division on race night, so we can all have a chin wag and share info,  setup,  etc.

Im hoping there will be 10 to 15 people from each league,  so say between 40 and 60 entrants which would equate to 3 or 4 divisions = 3 or 4 servers.  I was thinking that instead of just making it that each division has 20 people and then a new one is created,  that it could be time based instead, so each division is represented by certain bands of lap times.

It's all just for fun and to get everyone together and do something a bit different.

Rolz

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 08:32:42 AM »
Gladly represent XGN in the lower divisions!  ;D

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 10:19:05 AM »

If you're in the lower divisions then I'm in the depths of hell...  :o

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 10:41:22 AM »
I'll Rolz and/or Joe in which ever division, just point me in the direction,  man I'm a little confused, but happy  :o  :P
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 11:07:13 AM »
sounds cool
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Rolz

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 11:12:11 AM »

If you're in the lower divisions then I'm in the depths of hell...  :o

Haha... I was just working on the assumption I won't be in the first div!
You've improved out of sight in the last few months Joe!

Plus we don't know how good the other groups are... but it is nice to have some top RSR time people in our league.
Though I have come across a few non XGN guys in Marty's Pub servers that certainly are quick.

I am quite excited about the concept...
As an old FPS player (Quake 1) it reminds me of the CTF days I used to have with my clan and that was cool.  ;D

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 11:45:40 AM »
As an old FPS player (Quake 1) it reminds me of the CTF days I used to have with my clan and that was cool.  ;D

I was also a Quake 1 clan player in the UK. Good times! My clan were in division 3 in the UK leagues. The day I bought my 4mb 3DFX card and loaded GLQuake for the first time will always be one of my fav memories  ;D transparent water!!!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 12:14:09 PM »
Sounds interesting, glad your on this GB as I read your post but am a little confused. Quite possibly I may be away when this all goes down but if Im still home I will be keen to give it a run.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 02:30:18 PM »
Yeah, I've got it sorted in my head so that's the main thing!  Just need to make sure people such as Wally and co. in other leagues are on board and we can make it happen.

The Easy-English version is:

*  Set your quickest time on a practice server in the week before the race,
*  Join your division (along with others from other leagues) on race night.  Your division is based on the time you've set in the prac server,
*  Run a couple of races,
*  After the races, everyone's total race times are compared across all divisions.

When are you away Marty?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 02:57:07 PM »
Im going away end of next month, for couple weeks but that could end up a few months if things go well also the schedule is still not set beyond the first few weeks. I will give someone else access to my server instance by then as its already paid for but will need someone to change things up etc and have direct access to the server as I will be away in a few random countries with not much time to be online most likely. Anyone that can put their hand up for this, its fairly simple but things likely will change in some way after 1.2 but pretty much all thats needed.

Rolz

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 03:00:12 PM »
for couple weeks but that could end up a few months if things go well

bummer... my car engineer is going  :'(

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 03:59:14 PM »
I'd be happy to help out with your server Marty, although I can't guarantee I'll be around all the time during the week.  Normally it's only 1 or 2 nights.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal