Xtreme Gaming Network

Public server racing

Author Topic: Public server racing  (Read 15106 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Public server racing
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 11:30:43 AM »
Someone around here can set up a booking website. All it needs is to have a way of looking at a calender of upcoming public sprint races and adding a booking of intent. Joe... me, maybe. Or maybe there's something already publicly available.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 03:41:15 PM »
There is this:

http://www.simracingsystem.com/

They run leagues and you book in and join the race. Only issue I can see is american servers.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 04:36:17 PM »
Someone around here can set up a booking website. All it needs is to have a way of looking at a calender of upcoming public sprint races and adding a booking of intent. Joe... me, maybe. Or maybe there's something already publicly available.

I could be added to that web based server manager I made a while back. I haven't really had the time to keep it up to date. Would be easy enough to take bookings and create an entry list, then have the server start up with a specific track and car combo at a certain time. Some guy started adding to it on github and he doesn't really know what he's doing and broke a load of shit, so I need to go in and sort it all out but just don't have the time.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 05:31:20 PM »
Maybe the requirement is simpler than we think. It could be simply a way to indicate that you are interested in racing "this evening" at the preagreed "racing time" ie 6pm or 9pm.

Suggestion:

Create 2 new Channels under the XGN Discord server
Labelled one "6pm Races" and the other "9pm Races"
If you want to race at either of those times then simply join that group.
If you want to see who will be around for the races at a particular time then just check in Discord for who has joined the Channel.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 06:25:08 PM »
Maybe the requirement is simpler than we think. It could be simply a way to indicate that you are interested in racing "this evening" at the preagreed "racing time" ie 6pm or 9pm.

Suggestion:

If you want to see who will be around for the races at a particular time then just check in Discord for who has joined the Channel.
True, but we would like to reach beyond XGN somehow...

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 07:48:18 PM »

Suggestion:

True, but we would like to reach beyond XGN somehow...
Good point. Then I thought about it and realised that using Discord is only there to "prime the pump" so to speak. What I mean is that once a few people are interested to race and then get on the server there is nothing restricting the server to only XGN people. Discord machinism is only there in the background helping  you know if there are others interested in racing at that time.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 08:02:15 AM »
I've been looking around at all sorts of various free online event booking type sites where you can set up events and let people book for them, but none of them are really 100% suitable, although some come close.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 11:58:18 AM »
I reckon just set a server up with short qual and 5 lap races or something on a Friday or Saturday night, set up a collision per km for whatever and a few of us agree to get on at a certain time and more will come if around,  will at least get an idea if people are interested
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 12:51:20 PM »
I reckon just set a server up with short qual and 5 lap races or something on a Friday or Saturday night, set up a collision per km for whatever and a few of us agree to get on at a certain time and more will come if around,  will at least get an idea if people are interested
Sounds good. Are you going to use KMR for collisions per km? or is there a new AC feature I am unaware of?

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 01:29:42 PM »
There is a server setting Max collisions per KM, which can ban till server restart or kick player
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 12:19:23 AM »
Also noteworthy is the choice of track if looking to attract a large number of drivers, mod-tracks never attract as many drivers as standard AC tracks.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 07:05:00 AM »
Also noteworthy is the choice of track if looking to attract a large number of drivers, mod-tracks never attract as many drivers as standard AC tracks.
True. You've got to make it as easy to join as possible.

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 08:51:02 AM »
I'm always looking for MP servers and unfortunately I often have to drive on servers in Europe with pings around 280-300. To be honest it's not terrible you can still race bumper to bumper as long as you leave a tiny bit of room for lag.

I know it's not going to be super popular amongst experienced drivers but if you want to attract players, load up SPA with GT2/GT3 cars and you'll see people connect. The two most popular servers in the past month have run this and LS and those servers always have 20+ drivers on lap one.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »
I'm always looking for MP servers and unfortunately I often have to drive on servers in Europe with pings around 280-300. To be honest it's not terrible you can still race bumper to bumper as long as you leave a tiny bit of room for lag.

I know it's not going to be super popular amongst experienced drivers but if you want to attract players, load up SPA with GT2/GT3 cars and you'll see people connect. The two most popular servers in the past month have run this and LS and those servers always have 20+ drivers on lap one.
And about 5 drivers by lap 2 :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal