Xtreme Gaming Network

Inbetween season Nordschleife enduro 1hr or 1.5hr interest.

Author Topic: Inbetween season Nordschleife enduro 1hr or 1.5hr interest.  (Read 30180 times)

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
Re: Inbetween season Nordschleife enduro 1hr or 1.5hr interest.
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2017, 10:34:58 AM »
I think you are all putting in a lot of effort for a fun run which will probably have about 8 drivers in it
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2017, 10:44:11 AM »
I think you are all putting in a lot of effort for a fun run which will probably have about 8 drivers in it

You can always put in some effort or suggest something you want to race  ;)

Last nords enduro got a solid turnout between seasons and if we mention this also at say the Rooz league we can likely get 30 or more for this race. We could do between season longer races more often with things like a full f1 race for example.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2017, 11:35:35 AM »
You're onto us... we like organising more than racing ;)
It's not complex... a list of cars at Nords.
Marty's list is fine. The Merc is slow, but hey, if someone enjoys driving it...
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2017, 11:45:14 AM »
I wasn't meaning to be disrespectful, I just meant with such a long track and maybe few people no matter what you drive not many will be racing with other cars after half a lap
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2017, 12:04:22 PM »
An enduro at Nords will always have limited entrance but how about inviting some non-XGN members? Sort of a multi-forum event? I drivers like  Cherno might enjoy a outing at the ring  ;D

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2017, 04:56:39 PM »
Just curious why even have the SLS and the MP4-12c when the specs appear to be exact?  just the amg and the 650s would be enough

Could the huracan st compete with the rsr at all?  from testing the huracan st looks to chew tyres and i think fuel too..

and what about damage?  should it be run a tad lower considering the track.. too high and people would most likely quit..  perhaps the same level as thurs nights?
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 06:26:51 PM »
I'm just going to chuck a bunch of comparable cars up; people can choose what they like to drive. It really doesn't matter. After 2 hours, half of us will have rage quit and the rest will be all over the circuit. That's why it's more important just to choose a car you enjoy driving and can be consistent in. It is no way an exact science.

I'd probably reduce damage to 50%.  You still need to have some fear of hitting the barriers, otherwise you might as well just drive to the shops.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 06:29:20 PM »
Just curious why even have the SLS and the MP4-12c when the specs appear to be exact?  just the amg and the 650s would be enough

Could the huracan st compete with the rsr at all?  from testing the huracan st looks to chew tyres and i think fuel too..

and what about damage?  should it be run a tad lower considering the track.. too high and people would most likely quit..  perhaps the same level as thurs nights?

The SLS and MP4 are gt3 cars just older generation and having more options in them is not a bad thing, if people chose those or not is another thing so having them available makes little difference as they fit the class. The Huracan st is not gt class at all its from the Lamborghini Trofeo cup and we have the same car in gt3 class already in the Huracan gt3 so I dont see why you would add the car that doesnt fit as well as the same model in actual gt3 spec.

All the cars on the list I put up are either built for GT3, gt2 or gte spec specifically. If people want proper multi class racing then adding gt4 or slower styled production based cars can be an option. If people wanted true single class racing then best to go just gt3 but there is not so much between the GT classes that they all could still compete relatively well with eachother.

Damage I dont know 100% seems best after all an enduro is to see who can survive the best over a long race not those smashing walls every kilometer and getting away with it, I think anyone with reasonable track knowledge could complete the race clean it just means driving to your limits and ability pushing as hard as you dare and can manage, take away most of the risk of damage and it becomes less important to actually drive clean. If there is no damage, no fuel or tyre wear (not that that has been suggested) its not really much of an enduro just a long hotlap session. Full damage in recent 1 hour races have made no difference to having lower damage, higher damage will likely make people take more care early.

People will likely quite anyway as the same people quit in most sprint races, enduros or anything else. Being a long race with full damage it would mean people can go to pits for repairs and as they likely wont be the only ones needing this it means they can continue on after an issue and still gain some spots over the end of the race.

I did an hour and half race at Bathurst and with lowered damage it meant many got away with smashing lots of walls and so put better drivers that could race clean for the full distance at more of a disadvantage. Having some people choose the fastest car and be able to over drive the full distance with little care for damage makes it less likely to compete with them in a slightly slower car. Add full damage and those that do best will likely also be those that have the least amount of mistakes.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 06:38:23 PM »
I'm just going to chuck a bunch of comparable cars up; people can choose what they like to drive. It really doesn't matter. After 2 hours, half of us will have rage quit and the rest will be all over the circuit. That's why it's more important just to choose a car you enjoy driving and can be consistent in. It is no way an exact science.

I'd probably reduce damage to 50%.  You still need to have some fear of hitting the barriers, otherwise you might as well just drive to the shops.

The same people will rage quit after 1 spin at 50% damage as they would at 100% damage, I find it funny people wanting enduros in a sim then want to turn most sim and endurance features down.  ;) A wall whack wont cost so much time as 100% damage isn't as excessive as it used to be, it may cost 5-10 seconds per lap at most and so getting back to pits for repairs or continuing on is the choice. Obviously trying to drive in a way to avoid damage yet be as fast as you can is the best option.

I changed the practice server over to the full enduro layout and added the Lotus Evora GX and GTC as possibly some may want to run them and they arent too much slower then the rest and so the list includes all cars close to GTE to gt3 spec available officialy.

If we could get the track Gzero mentioned to test if timing works with the shortcut out lap and also works in a race it would be a good test saving 9 minute outlaps on the full layout. If the timing doesn't work properly then using the OSRW version will be good enough.

Also the not seeing other people on track is really no different at Nords over a longer race as anywhere else, the only extra people your seeing on smaller tracks are cars your lapping or those that are lapping you. The people your battling you would not likely be lapping at a 2 minute track in an hour and a half so it wont be any different on a bigger track, it can be a pretty boring race anywhere but at least Nords is just fun to lap no matter the car. If you get into a good battle its even better but if you don't then its easy enough to just keep on driving.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 06:48:24 PM by marty »

Offline UnFknBLievable

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2017, 06:48:20 PM »
then lets make it even more interesting.

scrap all the GT spec cars and lets race the SUVs. It's a fun enduro.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2017, 07:38:02 PM »
I must be delirious or delusional, or both, I'll take a Chevrolet...

???
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »

Damage I dont know 100% seems best after all an enduro is to see who can survive the best over a long race not those smashing walls every kilometer and getting away with it, I think anyone with reasonable track knowledge could complete the race clean it just means driving to your limits and ability pushing as hard as you dare and can manage, take away most of the risk of damage and it becomes less important to actually drive clean. If there is no damage, no fuel or tyre wear (not that that has been suggested) its not really much of an enduro just a long hotlap session. Full damage in recent 1 hour races have made no difference to having lower damage, higher damage will likely make people take more care early.

People will likely quite anyway as the same people quit in most sprint races, enduros or anything else. Being a long race with full damage it would mean people can go to pits for repairs and as they likely wont be the only ones needing this it means they can continue on after an issue and still gain some spots over the end of the race.

I did an hour and half race at Bathurst and with lowered damage it meant many got away with smashing lots of walls and so put better drivers that could race clean for the full distance at more of a disadvantage. Having some people choose the fastest car and be able to over drive the full distance with little care for damage makes it less likely to compete with them in a slightly slower car. Add full damage and those that do best will likely also be those that have the least amount of mistakes.

100% on a fun enduro seems a bit excessive and I'm basing my original comment about damage on people like Phil who I am sure would like to race but doesn't know the track as well as others and I'm sure he's not alone.   And by you're logic the tuesday league races should all be clean but so many people are coming off, hitting walls and causing accidents from the 1st lap onwards. People are bound to have brain fades, fatigue and accidents involving other cars. Just because you may get lucky and not hit anyone, doesn't mean someone won't hit you.. its all a risk.. I think 50% damage that Wally suggested is reasonable.
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2017, 10:00:46 PM »
If making it 50% as Wally suggested gets more starters then fine, it still wont make much difference in the end. Its not like the people worried about damaging the car so much are only going to have 1 contact so have 5 at 50% damage isnt going to be much better for them. Nords is a tricky track but a great place for an enduro as you really need to choose where to push a bit more and where to maybe leave a few tenths behind to ensure you dont have a small error that ends up in a huge off.

I had done all my earlier laps in the 650s gt3 as its one I drove in a past gt3 season, then I drove the 911 rsr 2017 gte and was surprised I wasnt miles quicker in that. Was only 2 seconds though my setup was rather unstable in it and there is likely much more time to get in that then in the 650. The good thing is now gt3 cars seem to have more similar tyres to the gte cars or at least the 911 rsr, in the past the gt3 cars had a useless soft tyre that was more like a qualy tyre but now you can run pretty long on them much like you could gt2/gte softs.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2017, 10:08:55 PM »
Just saw this come up on my YT feed, seems they had a Nords 24hr qualifying race over the weekend.

[youtube]Mem1IRtWDfw[/youtube]

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2017, 11:13:20 PM »
Nordschleife with GP Sprint minus Arena.
For testing purposes.

Will test this tomorrow to see how timing works, Wally wanted to do 24hr layout so full gp minus mercedes arena but to test this will do. All pit spots would need to be in the gp pits and same with all grid locations, having grid seperated is a good idea if running a proper mixed class race which this one isnt looking like atm.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal