Xtreme Gaming Network

Tuesday Season 1: BMW M3 E30 Information and Driver Signup

Author Topic: Tuesday Season 1: BMW M3 E30 Information and Driver Signup  (Read 67986 times)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday Season 1: BMW M3 E30 Information and Driver Signup
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2014, 11:00:23 AM »
Get rid of track maps :)  They are highly detrimental IMHO.
You can learn a regular track layout in about an hour or less - but with the map it takes longer, and you won't watch the more important things.
Eventually you need to know the corners without seeing them (when someone in front blocks your view!)

Concentrate on the surrounds, drive the first few laps really slow (as you'd normally do)  watch the trackside marks (most corners have those 300-200-100-50 signs) and watch the track surface for marks:  most cars you can pull up safely if you start 10-20m before the start of the tyre marks.   

I think it's much more productive this way.

Then once you know the track fairly well (you can drive it in your mind - which is also a good exercise) then look at the track map, and identify if your feeling for a corner matches the map.   Sometimes I can work out why a corner seems slower than it is by the map. 

And watch other people's driving (real/sim) the track for tricks.   But I reckon these exercises are really only helpful after you've learned the track layout (the initial one hour session). 

Disclaimer: this won't work in an hour at Nordschleife :D

Edit:
oh, one more very good exercise can be - even early on - is to follow someone who knows the track well.  Ask them to drive relatively slow, and follow them.  In 5 laps you'll learn a lot.  And I mean a lot.  We've done this sort of thing all the time, and it always works best for quickly learning tracks.   

I'm happy to do this with you if you like, I know pretty much all the track layouts by now :)  But we need to organise an official practice night - thursday to sunday somewhere, probably.

Thanks heaps Bird!
Like I said earlier, I see all you guys as mentors and I can only improve. My racing goal atm is just to finish the races without getting in the way and finish on the same lap as the leaders.

I agree, looking at the map is not the best. But I'll be leaving it on during racing as it helps to know where other racers are.

Yes, I sure watch heaps of motorsport these days. This Skip Barber video is full of awesomeness too. Even if it is real old.
 And lately there has been a string of events at Monza, Imola and Mugello on FOX which has been awesome to watch. Really getting into FIA enduro races. Such sweet cars!

Following Wally's ghost is a big help and just being able to stay close, just that little bit further each lap is a great challenge but yeah, seeing break lights would help.

Yep. I'm learning track side break markers etc
I'll be keen to start practice before the race tonight. I was trying way too hard to keep up with Wally's ghost last night and kept going off.
Totally Wally's fault of cause :)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2014, 01:46:22 PM »
Get rid of track maps :)  They are highly detrimental IMHO.
You can learn a regular track layout in about an hour or less - but with the map it takes longer, and you won't watch the more important things.
Eventually you need to know the corners without seeing them (when someone in front blocks your view!)

Concentrate on the surrounds, drive the first few laps really slow (as you'd normally do)  watch the trackside marks (most corners have those 300-200-100-50 signs) and watch the track surface for marks:  most cars you can pull up safely if you start 10-20m before the start of the tyre marks.   

I think it's much more productive this way.

Then once you know the track fairly well (you can drive it in your mind - which is also a good exercise) then look at the track map, and identify if your feeling for a corner matches the map.   Sometimes I can work out why a corner seems slower than it is by the map. 

And watch other people's driving (real/sim) the track for tricks.   But I reckon these exercises are really only helpful after you've learned the track layout (the initial one hour session). 

Disclaimer: this won't work in an hour at Nordschleife :D

Edit:
oh, one more very good exercise can be - even early on - is to follow someone who knows the track well.  Ask them to drive relatively slow, and follow them.  In 5 laps you'll learn a lot.  And I mean a lot.  We've done this sort of thing all the time, and it always works best for quickly learning tracks.   

I'm happy to do this with you if you like, I know pretty much all the track layouts by now :)  But we need to organise an official practice night - thursday to sunday somewhere, probably.

I agree exactly with all Bird has said here, also with learning the track. Using AI if there is no real person to help you can get you up to speed and the basic line of a lap. A real person especially a quicker one can teach the more subtle advanced lines the AI wont but even in the practice server if your on teamspeak and ask for help Im sure many will gladly do this for you. If Im on the track and you want some help just ask and I can show you the basic lines, the more people that get up to speed the more fun the races are so helping anyone you can just makes it more enjoyable for everyone.

Biggest issues most people tend to have and in these particular cars I have a bit too is just overdriving it, mostly under braking you need to stay in control so braking 10-20m sooner then the critical point may only cost you .2 per lap but will avoid any costly errors bringing up your overall race pace. No point throwing in some real quick laps then losing 2 or 3 seconds with errors elsewhere. In qualy you need to push the limits much more then you will in a race but staying smooth and consistant will give you a better race finish then hammering out a couple PB's and some slow laps in between.

Edit I noticed my bad reading skills again as the races are 10 laps and for some reason I was thinking 12 laps, quite happy about that as my tyres lasted about 9 3/4 of a lap before falling off the cliff. Lap 11 and 12 was quite sketchy but now thats just the in lap so all good.  :)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2014, 02:38:14 PM »
Thanks again guys!!  :D
  I know I have a long way to go to catch up to you guys. Like I said, at this stage just finishing the race on the same lap as the leaders and I'm happy.
Like you say Marty, no point doing a PB then throwing it into the sand every other lap. Consistency is very important.
Like the Ferrari race last week, I got up to 9th cause of everyone else's mistakes (T1). But then made a mistake myself and dropped to last. So there is a case of no genuine overtaking. just position changing through mistakes.

I'm always keen to take on any schooling you guys throw at me.

Offline imperious

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2014, 09:49:02 PM »
Sorry for my absence here lately, You sure can miss a lot in a week.

Please add me to the reserve list Wally.

My faithful AMD HD5850 video card bricked itself after a Sat night Lan game session for no reason whatsoever, I just
managed to unbrick it by performing surgery on the actual eeprom chip that holds the bios information.

So as long as there isn't a full grid of 24, I'll be there next week.

The wire reset the eprom, so after booting into Dos (Yes DOS mode) I cut the wire allowing me to reprogram it. And yes there was
a heatsink attached during the operation

[Old attachment deleted by admin to free up space]
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 09:51:37 PM by imperious »

Rolz

« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2014, 10:00:20 PM »
Thanks for the racing fellas... hope I got in no-ones way and didn't run anyone off the road... oh man do I need to get better to even come close to putting up a challenge...  :o

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2014, 08:56:50 AM »
Sorry if I missed the information in the thread but what will be the in-game time on the server and what temperature is the track?

Will it be different on some tracks?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2014, 12:47:08 PM »
I can't set the temperature on the server. 1st race is 11am and 2nd is 2pm, from memory.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2014, 04:38:05 PM »
I can't set the temperature on the server. 1st race is 11am and 2nd is 2pm, from memory.

If server cant set temp then there should at least be a setting we should all should use as this can have quite an effect.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2014, 08:27:12 PM »
I've mine set to the pro requirement, 26C

Offline Butters

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2014, 09:36:23 PM »
Won't be able to make Round 2 (Silverstone). Wally, please replace me with a reserve for this round. Will be back for Round 3  :)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2014, 09:46:36 PM »
I've mine set to the pro requirement, 26C

Thats what I keep it at too but will be nice to get some variation once the servers can set the temps so we arent always driving at 26c.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2014, 10:32:05 PM »
Won't be able to make Round 2 (Silverstone). Wally, please replace me with a reserve for this round. Will be back for Round 3  :)
Thanks, will do.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2014, 11:46:24 PM »
If a driver doesn't show up without notification, they get a * on the entry list. If they get two *'s, they will be demoted to the reserve list, so someone else can get a race.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2014, 08:59:16 PM »
Gratulin moved up into main grid in rooshooter's place.
SlayerOne (Kevin) added to reserves list.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2014, 11:32:48 PM »
Seems to be my night for presents ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal