Xtreme Gaming Network

Overclocking

Author Topic: Overclocking  (Read 20898 times)

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
Overclocking
« on: January 10, 2018, 02:11:23 PM »
Grat got me thinking about overclocking.
I have a gigabyte z170x gaming 6 and a unlocked 6700 cpu, in the bios in easy mode there is a way to overclock by picking performance over normal or eco,  this give me 4.3 ghz at 1.272 volts and about at idle 23 degrees core temps , 30 package temps and 27 on the corsair cooler temps.

I am sure this is not this is not the best way to OC and I have no experience with these newer cpus, Last time I overclocked it was a like a i7 940 and before that years and years ago old amd processors and I think the process is easier these days, I am just not sure where to start.

Do I just leave in performance mode  or go back to normal and boost the multiplier or use the cpu upgrade overclock setting or performance upgrade option with five different presets  of 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, and 100%

I guess I am asking if anyone with OC experience can tell me the best easiest process :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:06:55 PM by Phil.8 »
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
Re: Overclocking
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 05:26:03 PM »
I have tried the cpu upgrade option and running at 4.5ghz at 1.272V   does that seem ok ?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:30:13 PM by Phil.8 »

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 05:58:15 PM »
I have tried the cpu upgrade option and running at 4.5ghz at 1.272V   does that seem ok ?
That's ok, I need 1.4v to achieve 4.7 on my 6700k and have been for a while.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics
Or something a little more basic
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?78542-Overclocking-The-Core-i7-6700K-To-4-6GHz-On-The-Maximus-VIII-Extreme

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 06:08:51 PM »
Funnily I've nfi what the mobo  is doing, but I'm running a 6700k at 15% overclock with ASUS' single-click overclock (or whatever it's called).   So it just did its magic, restarted a couple of times, and settled on this value - which is a respectable 600MHz over stock.     I think this is the future of the consumer-level o/c.  Enthusiasts can do whatever magic they want, I'm happy with this result, hehe.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:14:35 PM »

Started crashing games at that setting

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 09:09:07 PM »
 best I could manage today with it being stable was 4.3, I only used the bios easy overclock options,  I was thinking of only getting a bit more life out of my pc in the future and I might try manually tomorrow as its a bit of fun to see what can get to while learning how it all works.  But for peace of mind and easiness I will probably just buy a new pc or at least mobo, cpu and ram instead when I deem this one to slow

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:51:18 AM »
best I could manage today with it being stable was 4.3, I only used the bios easy overclock options,  I was thinking of only getting a bit more life out of my pc in the future and I might try manually tomorrow as its a bit of fun to see what can get to while learning how it all works.  But for peace of mind and easiness I will probably just buy a new pc or at least mobo, cpu and ram instead when I deem this one to slow
Depending on your chip you should be able to get around 4.6 @ 1.35v, as bird mentioned his asus board auto overclocked to 4.6. My asus board did the same but it set my ram to 2933 instead of 3200MHz, so I manually overclocked 4.7, 4.8 requires 1.5v and gets warm even with good cooling. I've managed to push ram to 3466mhz. The way I see it is we bought the unlocked cpus we might as well push them...if it dies it's a good excuse to upgrade lol, the reason I don't mind pushing my voltage high. Performance gains even small ones are still gains lol
Off subject how's the monitor shopping going?

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 11:47:45 AM »
I am tossing up between these 2 which my local shop has at an ok price,, with Christmas I didn't have time to decide
https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-G27C2
https://www.asus.com/au/Monitors/VX24AH/

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 11:49:30 AM »
Do I just change the vcore and the multiplier, is that it ?  also can bsod cause much damage ?

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 12:09:57 PM »
I just tried 4.5@ 1.35v and instant blue screen in prime95  took 2 seconds to bsod, My ram is in XMP at 2666MHz, not sure if that would be causing it to bsod,  I guess I was not lucky in the silicon lottery

I am thinking of buying this instead
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/37427/intel-core-i7-7700k
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:19:40 PM by Phil.8 »

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 12:54:13 PM »
I'm looking at new motherboard, memory and cpu too. Hoping I get enough $$$ for my Birthday at the end of the month  ;D

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 01:06:19 PM »
Overclocking my style   just buy new faster stuff :)

would of been cool to get a decent overclock just so I could say I have done that now, but it seems a lot of hassle

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 01:44:06 PM »
I just tried 4.5@ 1.35v and instant blue screen in prime95  took 2 seconds to bsod, My ram is in XMP at 2666MHz, not sure if that would be causing it to bsod,  I guess I was not lucky in the silicon lottery

I am thinking of buying this instead
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/37427/intel-core-i7-7700k
Prime will be hard to pass, look for a setting for load line calibration (llc), could be called something else in the gigabyte bios. Under heavy work loads like prime the cpu is designed to lower the vcore a little, llc can counter that. Or you can add a little more vcore to compensate. If you can achieve 4.5ghz then you will have a cpu identical to the 7700k, so it's really a bit of a waste to buy one, except for the possibility of a 7700k overclocking higher. We'll only need to upgrade if we need more cores or if a significantly faster cpu is released imo.
Does your cpu run the h264 test from overclock. net at that setting? BSOD is nothing to worry about, windows telling you there was an error that caused a crash. If you are someone who likes to tinker then overclocking is a bit of fun, if not then it's probably just a headache lol.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 02:03:17 PM »
Do you man disable llc or what do I do with it ? I have not tried h264,  but Battlefield 1 would not load for 3 times and on the 4th time I tried to launch it I got into the game but bsod within a minute
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:08:32 PM by Phil.8 »

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 02:15:06 PM »
Do you man disable llc or what do I do with it ? I have not tried h264,  but Battlefield 1 would not load for 3 times and on the 4th time I tried to launch it I got into the game but bsod within a minute
Adjust llc, should have a few steps, some boards are backwards compared to others. My asus board has 8 steps and I need llc 6, on asus higher means less vdroop under heavy loads

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal