Xtreme Gaming Network

Test run - F1 1975 at Imola

Author Topic: Test run - F1 1975 at Imola  (Read 39058 times)

Offline grat

• View Profile
Re: Test run - F1 1975 at Imola
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2018, 10:59:51 PM »
Sorry guys---I did what I can, but between position of the head, degrees of rotation of the wheel, little tricks I have to do for pc performance, and finally no idea about fuel, tyres etc... I did not have enough time. I spent the evening hotlapping on something else.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2018, 08:23:03 AM »
I was doing okay until I missed a gear and put it in the wall which gave some pretty nasty damage and the car was all over the place. I thought I'd try one more lap then maybe pit and fix the damage but the car being all over the place let me to miss more gears and blow the gearbox  :o

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2018, 10:45:46 AM »
Enjoyed the race, not quite as lonely as the Ferrari test. And it certainly paid  to be accurate and deliberate with the gear changes, no flat shifting!

A slight touch to Kcender (sorry) on the first lap left me some way behind the pack struggling to catch up, the soft tires was definitely a help on full fuel. Pitted early hoping for an under-cut which did not eventuate. But spend 17 laps chasing Wally, slowly reeling him in by 0.2s per lap just hoping his soft tires would fail before the hard tires I chose during the pit stop. But just as I finally got by Wally I picked the wrong side of a spinning car (Keith?  :P ) to give the spot back to him.   Fun race

Offline kcender87

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2018, 11:02:40 AM »
Enjoyed the race, not quite as lonely as the Ferrari test. And it certainly paid  to be accurate and deliberate with the gear changes, no flat shifting!

A slight touch to Kcender (sorry) on the first lap left me some way behind the pack struggling to catch up, the soft tires was definitely a help on full fuel. Pitted early hoping for an under-cut which did not eventuate. But spend 17 laps chasing Wally, slowly reeling him in by 0.2s per lap just hoping his soft tires would fail before the hard tires I chose during the pit stop. But just as I finally got by Wally I picked the wrong side of a spinning car (Keith?  :P ) to give the spot back to him.   Fun race

Nah all good - i thought that was my fault - after missing out on the Lotus I rushed a blind guess of a set on the Mclaren and ran too soft and heavy so I was laying chassis under braking so I had no control at that point :P

Car was odd - was evil laps 1 - 5 then came good on mid fuel then became evil again toward the end - seems like it has rubbish geometry that is super sensitive to travel and ride height requiring over stiff suspension to control it which isnt the way to go on the old things - saved by a long no stop strategy :P

Dead keen on these over the v10s though

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2018, 11:22:04 AM »
I had some nice close racing with Freezer, Mael, Bacchulum and Seanus. Pity Seanus repaired damage in pits as we pitted together and the racing was very close, with some good position changes eirher by accidents or good passes.

Softs were getting pretty squirmy at the ends of the two stints, giving me a few exciting moments, and I was nursing a yellow gearbox by the end.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2018, 12:19:10 PM »
Hey Rooshooter!!  Thx for your support!!!  I have deleted that post because i think it was too over the limit, and when in anger i do things over the limit. I regret deleting now that you liked it(lol) but what happened with telstra is all true, still at jome got no telephone line..just dead.
Hey Roo...i have appreciated your personal message it made me feel that i am not alone!!

Regarding last night race, i like the mod, is fun, but i really got this tennis elbow that is forcing me to step back.Its a shame because i used to like long races...strategies..pits stop..etc etc.
I think also that the 1975 mod is not going to be very friendly....kind of tough but hey...we all r professional drivers!!!

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2018, 12:45:15 PM »

Nah all good - i thought that was my fault - after missing out on the Lotus I rushed a blind guess of a set on the Mclaren and ran too soft and heavy so I was laying chassis under braking so I had no control at that point :P

Car was odd - was evil laps 1 - 5 then came good on mid fuel then became evil again toward the end - seems like it has rubbish geometry that is super sensitive to travel and ride height requiring over stiff suspension to control it which isnt the way to go on the old things - saved by a long no stop strategy :P

Dead keen on these over the v10s though
Geometry is definitely out of wack and more so on some cars than others.
I took the Williams without doing any trials beforehand and couldn't really get a good set-up compared to some of the others I had more time with, I had a faster time with other cars.
Also I tried shifting without clutch during practice and blew my box after two laps, so I didn't bother with it. Qualifying 10th I thought I'd be in for some good mid field racing but got punted off at the first corner, no worries all good. Damaged steering I went back to pit and came out with the leaders but I didn't feel like doing a full race blue flagged so I hit exit button and went out to the garage to continue my pc's front panel mod.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2018, 01:08:30 PM »
but I didn't feel like doing a full race blue flagged

There where no blue flags in 1975 as far as I know, so don't actively defend but no need to jump out of the leaders way  ;D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2018, 02:08:38 PM »

There where no blue flags in 1975 as far as I know, so don't actively defend but no need to jump out of the leaders way  ;D
I would say for general racing etiquette, I'd still like to see blue flags respected.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2018, 02:26:21 PM »
Thanks for the patch - that sounds like damage won't be so race wrecking, but rather just penalising.

Re the blue flags, put yourself in the shoes of the guy behind you. I was in a situation where I was fighting with the guy in front of me for position, when a lapped car came between us and was shown a blue flag (and did let me pass). Why should I be held up in my position fight by someone who's a lap down? That's not fair.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2018, 03:05:13 PM »
I use z1 software and that tells me if I bottom out, I didn't run it last night though so no idea if I was, It did sound like I was a few times, but didn't feel like I was if that makes sense, I will make sure to suss it out next time I drive these cars
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2018, 03:32:15 PM »
I chose to run hards and see how they went last night.  Thanks to a good start and a few people slipping I found myself in 2nd.
I soon found Wally closing on his softs and he eventually slipped by.  I was most vulnerable under braking where I found it very easy
to lock up so I was braking early.   I pushed on for a pretty consistent run with only one small slip.  The tyres held in well and I wasn't getting
any damage so was able to run to the end.  In the dying laps I had RussG bearing down and would have likely got by if it wasn't for a few
small touches.  Interestingly I was the 2nd slowest of the top 10 for outright lap times but got home 3rd!
Definitely get my vote, just have to work on some speed!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2018, 03:59:37 PM »
I was laying chassis under braking....

How do you guys know the chassis is bottoming out?
The only way I can tell is to open the console and if the chassis bottoms out my CPU usage goes to >99%, otherwise in a normal session I don't seem to get any feedback that the chassis hit the ground. Over curbs I can get beached though.
I've been hearing the scraping at certain parts of the track.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2018, 04:27:20 PM »

There have always been blue flags.
Pre-late-eighties there was no hard and fast rule about getting out of the way within 3 posts though.
Lapped drivers still got out of the way even though there was no rule, until the late 80's where they ignored the etiquette, so the rule was formalised.
A bit like bowling underarm in cricket......

2+2=√16

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2018, 04:44:16 PM »

There have always been blue flags.
Pre-late-eighties there was no hard and fast rule about getting out of the way within 3 posts though.
Lapped drivers still got out of the way even though there was no rule, until the late 80's where they ignored the etiquette, so the rule was formalised.
A bit like bowling underarm in cricket......
I've always found the concept of blue flag rules strange in a sport that basically goes around in circles every minute or so. Why should someone with a faster car feel entitled to get a free overtake when everyone on the track is in the same race? Why should they only have to overtake someone once in race?

There are already so many anomalies in F1 such as - cannot overtake easily, safety cars deciding race outcome, debris on the road causing punctures, drivers running other drivers off the road etc etc. The skill in overtaking slower, lapped cars is just one more driver skill that would improve the competition.

and one more thing while I'm at it. It is pathetic to hear entitled brats complaining because someone who is driving their guts out in a slower car didn't get out of their way. They are race drivers for godsake!!!

And don't get me started on tennis players who complain if someone sneezes while they are serving :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 04:49:15 PM by Gratulin »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal