Xtreme Gaming Network

Mar 10: Season 6 Car Testing

Author Topic: Mar 10: Season 6 Car Testing  (Read 44145 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Mar 10: Season 6 Car Testing
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 07:28:15 PM »
If you just understeer the 458 into the corner, then you're overdriving it.  The crossbow will do the same, actually even worse.  The fast way is the proper way - slow in, fast out.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 07:50:36 PM »
Wally, the server is having some network difficulty in the past 5-10 minutes - everyone is having 400+pings.  Server is intermittently reported to be unavailable. Might be an idea to restart it or even stop the instance for a few minutes?

btw; the /admin command does not work with any of the mentioned passwords.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:09:27 PM by Bird »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 08:15:09 PM »
Btw do u run tyre wear in races?

Yep, there is tyre wear. The track also starts off at about 95% grip and slowly rubbers up with more laps.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 08:15:57 PM »
Wally, the server is having some network difficulty in the past 5-10 minutes - everyone is having 400+pings.  Server is intermittently reported to be unavailable. Might be an idea to restart it or even stop the instance for a few minutes?

btw; the /admin command does not work with any of the mentioned passwords.

Will restart it later when I get home.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 10:30:21 PM »
I restarted the practice server.

Offline Wobblyone

• Adrenalin is brown...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 12:04:55 AM »
If you just understeer the 458 into the corner, then you're overdriving it.  The crossbow will do the same, actually even worse.  The fast way is the proper way - slow in, fast out.

I'm pretty smooth in the x bow and it feels ok...just the 458 felt like it was on ice...undrivable to be honest...maybe a setup thing? I tried to be smooth but felt yuk :(

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 07:33:49 AM »

I'm pretty smooth in the x bow and it feels ok...just the 458 felt like it was on ice...undrivable to be honest...maybe a setup thing? I tried to be smooth but felt yuk :(

There's probably not a lot of setup changes you can make on the 458. You could try lower tyre pressures for a little more grip.

Offline Perch

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 08:11:18 AM »

It's important to remember it's 'only' a roadcar on semi-slicks. You need to brake nice and early and feed the power in gently on the exit (or not. It's a bit of a drift monster :D). The fronts lock up very easily and I find the ABS kicks in way too soon and that results in some horrid understeer.

As Wally suggested, try dropping the pressures a click or two and I like a bit more negative cambre, 3/4 clicks front and 2 rear, for better turn in and mid-turn grip. Maybe post a replay file if you keep having trouble?

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 09:40:42 AM »
Did quite a few laps in the x-bow yesterday. Managed to get a 1:50.6 which is my best so far and much faster than I got with the 458. More practice required! Hoping to get into the 1:40s soon! :)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 03:16:40 PM »
Actually last night I was getting a lot of video freezing. Pretty much every lap I'd have 2-3 second of frozen video where the game is still playing, so it would come back and I'd be off the track.

Would this have been the server playing up, or something weird with my gfx? I turned v-sync off which seemed to pretty much stop it from happening, but not sure if that was just a coincidence.

Cheers

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 04:16:14 PM »
Actually last night I was getting a lot of video freezing. Pretty much every lap I'd have 2-3 second of frozen video where the game is still playing, so it would come back and I'd be off the track.

Would this have been the server playing up, or something weird with my gfx? I turned v-sync off which seemed to pretty much stop it from happening, but not sure if that was just a coincidence.

Cheers
What's your hardware? That might give us some clues. It could have been something happening in the background on your PC. Windows updates are notorious for freezing your game in the background.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 04:42:36 PM »
It could be the graphics card over-heating?

My GPU is overclocked to the eye-balls and throttles when it gets too hot resulting in a sudden drop in frame-rate at the more graphically intensive parts of a circuit.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »
Frozen for 2-3 seconds...that's annoying. I had such bad spells ages ago in GTL, sometimes even longer ones.  But they were very occasional (thank god) so I could never figure it out what was causing it. 

I guess it can be anything from memory filling up to the brim, to overheating or something simply taking over a lot processing power...
Similar to what Guy said, CPU can throttle back, too.  I guess it'd do something similar, altho maybe not a complete freeze, especially not a frozen vid with the game running; rather some stuttering.  Not sure, though.

Offline Perch

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 07:47:18 PM »
I used to get some pretty nasty hangs rather frequently, 2-3 seconds as you describe but sometimes bad enough to require a hard reboot. I tried to work it out when I started doing Tuesdays here but couldn't find much by googling around. In the end I turned off post-processing effects and although it doesn't look quite so nice anymore the random hangs have almost completely stopped. Two in about a month as opposed to nearly every other race.

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 09:36:02 PM »
Yeah that's where I'd start, switch off alot of your eye candy and then work your details back up if that solves it. Maybe gfx drivers? gl!!  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal