Xtreme Gaming Network

Did Netflix kill aussie peak internet performance?

Author Topic: Did Netflix kill aussie peak internet performance?  (Read 36337 times)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Re: Did Netflix kill aussie peak internet performance?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 11:23:24 AM »

I'm with Internode, and apart from some self-inflicted issues and our exchange burning down, it's been good but I'm still getting much more warping and ping spikes than a month or so ago.  I'm starting to wonder whether it might be the Amazon servers?
More likely something you picked up in Thailand?

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 01:17:43 PM »
Something from someone somewhere.  Id like to think I turned the tables on them though.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 02:13:25 PM »
Guy your ping was up and down quite badly when I saw you on the server. I saw it climb to 150+ yet guys from the US stayed a solid sub 200 and they didnt warp but many locals were warping. I use the medium instance on my servers as the tiny can barely do 1 24 grid server without issues.

The amazon servers are pretty solid and these are not the problem. Quite a few locals are unaffected but many more are now much worse at peak times, the guys from OS are much more stable then many locals now but only at peak times afternoons on weekends and say 6 to 10pm weeknights.

Anyone on NBN shouldnt be effected but ADSL connections are being overstressed it seems. Could just be local congestion at some exchanges.

Regarding Dodo ive had iinet, optus, netspace, tpg and other then netspace all have been the same. Netspace was very good until it got bought by iinet and then turned to crap. This is why I switched from them to dodo, proce wise not much between them and I can only get ADSL 2+ no option for naked. I need to pay for a phone line that doesnt even get used with no phone connected to it.

NBN has a large building less then 500m from my place but as all cables are underground in the estate there is no plan for NBN in any roadmap. My exchange is also at capacity now so changing ISP is not always easy and with neighbours using all other major ISP's with no better results its not much of a difference who you pay to use the same lines.

Dodo is likely overselling its network too so thats an issue but all others are doing the same so no real options here. Iinet was easily the worst isp I ever used and they managed to even turn a good one to crap within days of shutting it down.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 02:32:27 PM »
As long as we're on topic, can you badmouth iiNet for us, please?  I've never been with them, and my impressions of them so far were good, so I'm really interested about the details of  your issues!  Thanks!

E.g. I know that TPG is absolute rubbish when it comes to overselling bandwith to leachers (with their unlimited plans) and also their support - when I had to turn to it - had been an absolute disaster.  While this was quite a few years back, I'm not too keen on going to them.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:34:02 PM by Bird »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 03:10:06 PM »
In terms of iinet I did first have them years ago and they were quite good early on then they started to have regular connectivity issues and the net would drop out quite regularly for hours at a time and at worst for a few days. I did dispute this and they found the issue on their end so gave me some credit for the days of no connectivity after months of contact. They simply couldnt provide the service I was paying for and thats when I switched to netspace and they were great for a couple years until iinet bought them lol. Then they went back to the exact same issues I had with them when I left the first time that never happened with netspace.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 04:04:44 PM »
I'm wondering....

Bird and I both had ping spikes the other night (Thursday???) and we are both with Internode.

Internode (and I assume all iiNet subsidiaries) offer quota-free Netflix streaming.

Coincidence?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 08:30:52 PM »
I'm also with Internode. I don't know if I jumped for anyone. It didn't feel like I did.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 09:20:08 AM »
I'm wondering....

Bird and I both had ping spikes the other night (Thursday???) and we are both with Internode.

Internode (and I assume all iiNet subsidiaries) offer quota-free Netflix streaming.

Coincidence?

Where are you, physically?  I'm on the central coast, and I know I'm on an exchange that is 110% full - so my issues can stem from there as well.
I haven't had any in the past days, mind you.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 10:08:46 AM »
The funny thing is when I saw GB even though his ping got higher then I have ever seen it it wasnt as bad warp wise as I expected, he was getting the odd jitter but normally pings climbing that much would be near impossible to drive. I only ran a couple races last nite on my servers and my ping didnt climb much at all stayed around 44 while over the weekend it did climb to 70 and stayed above 50 most of the time. I did see much more warping and ping was moving up and down quite a bit which is where AC tends to cause most warping and netcode improvements could help here. Its clearly a sign of lost packets so not heaps that can be done but there is always room for improvement.

We will see tonight but last Tuesday and Thursday nites I have only seen minimal warps around me even with my ping climbing slightly up to maybe 60 on the race nite Tuesday.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 08:07:58 PM »
I've been with iiNet for 6 years and have always found them great and had no issues up until recently. Granted TPG bought them so they will probably go to shit now, but the recent issues are definitely due to Netflix.

This was pulled off their website by a guy at work last week:

"Off-net ADSL customers in NSW will be experiencing degraded performance during peak hour periods. Customers will notice slower than usual speeds, timeouts and high latency when using the internet. Technical Summary: Our links to our network partner are reaching capacity during peak traffic hours Resolution: We are working on upgrading the affected links. The current ETR for this work is 24/04."

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 02:02:05 PM »
Truth to be told, I've not seen any problems in the recent days ( Internode // iiNet group // fuckingTPG)

But I notice, Joe, they say "reaching network capacity" - exactly what I thought earlier.  Even if Netflix was the last drop, this was something coming. :)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
Truth to be told, I've not seen any problems in the recent days ( Internode // iiNet group // fuckingTPG)

But I notice, Joe, they say "reaching network capacity" - exactly what I thought earlier.  Even if Netflix was the last drop, this was something coming. :)

Ive seen Guybrush ping spiking pretty bad most nites and he had some nasty warps at the start of our little race run at Nords. He was very stable before he went to Thailand so it could just be one of the viruses he brought back.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 06:22:35 PM »
Here's a news story and a bit of a empty apology and blame game.
http://m.watoday.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/netflix-regrets-unmetered-data-deals-with-optus-iinet-20150416-1mm5ey.html

Hmmm, thought this might have been the case as mentioned above, but they left out Internode.  Internode is basically iiNet now isn't it?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 07:13:03 PM »
Here's a news story and a bit of a empty apology and blame game.
http://m.watoday.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/netflix-regrets-unmetered-data-deals-with-optus-iinet-20150416-1mm5ey.html

Hmmm, thought this might have been the case as mentioned above, but they left out Internode.  Internode is basically iiNet now isn't it?

iiNet owns Internode, but I don't know how much of the infrastructure they share.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal