Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 21 format

Author Topic: Season 21 format  (Read 5064 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Season 21 format
« on: January 26, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »
Scoring

I've come up with an interesting idea for scoring, which will incentivise people to push on even when they're winning. The scoring will be based on your gap at the end of the race, so the bigger the gap you manage to pull, the more points you get. The gap is measured from the finisher 2/3 of the way down the field, e.g. position 12 out of 18 finishers. The winner gets 100 points, and then the points for lower positions are scaled according to the race gap. An example will make it clearer:

Look at the finish positions and gap to the leader in last round's race 3 here. The points for this round would be:

Mael         100 (winner always gets 100)
killagorilla   80 (killagorilla finished a fair bit behind Mael, so he gets less points than if he would have been closer).
Joe           74
Shayne      73 (Shayne finished just behind Joe - 0.6 secs - so gets nearly the same points as Joe)
RussG        52
Wally         50
Godzilla      49
Bacchulum  38
Phil            11
Dadio         10 (racer 2/3 down the field (but has to be on the lead lap), always gets 10)
Kcender87   9 (everyone who finished after the 2/3 guy gets 9 down to 1)
buellersdayoff   8
Seanus       7
ab156        6
Phil.8         0 (these guys didn't classify as finishers, so get 0)
Matthew111   0
Dave O       0
Rob            0

Or for race 2:

killagorilla        100 (top 5 were all fairly close at the end)
Mael               96
Phil                 96
buellersdayoff   94
Kcender87       93
Bacchulum       85 (Bacchulum, RussG and Wally finished close together)
RussG             84
Wally              82
ab156             55 (big gap back to ab156, so a gap in the points)
Shayne           45
Joe                22
Dave O           18
Dadio             10
Phil.8               9
Seanus            8
Matthew111     7
Godzilla            6
Rob                5
Simone           0

The finish gap chart makes it clear:

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Season 21 format
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 01:34:03 PM »
Ballast

I'm going to use ballast to compress the field (relax - just a little bit of ballast), based on your fastest lap times, in race 2 only. Race 1 of each round will always be a normal, unballasted race. Then race 2 will have some ballast applied to the top 2/3 of the field to compress lap times a little. Race 2 start positions will be in race 1 finish position.

I've been doing some research with ballast and restrictor, using the AI. I've found that restrictor is non-linear, i.e. doubling the restrictor does not double the slow down. It's hard to do a performance-based balancing using variable restrictor. Ballast, on the other hand, is nicely linear - doubling the ballast doubles the slow down - so it's much easier to slow a car's lap time by a set amount.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 01:41:34 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 02:16:31 PM »
Regardless of what is going on here, sign me up...I'm here for the racing lol

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 02:39:14 PM »
Regardless of what is going on here, sign me up...I'm here for the racing lol
Not quite taking sign ups yet...

But what is going on here is:
  • you are incentivised to keep pushing to the end and not be content to "coast" home in your current position
  • close racing!

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 03:54:14 PM »
But someone who gets punted off and falls way behind will get bugger all points through no fault of their own......
Just playing Nostradamus (sorry :-X )

Seriously, I really like it, it's like racing combined with time-trial. 8)
Always something to strive for. ;)

PS
And I've always doubted you can "please all of the people some of the time", there's always one whinger in my experience. :-\

2+2=√16

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 05:55:02 PM »
"You can please some of the people all of the time" these are the ones you should concentrate on  ;D ;D
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 06:44:45 PM »
You please me all the time wally  :o

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 06:54:57 PM »
But someone who gets punted off and falls way behind will get bugger all points through no fault of their own......
No different to any scoring scheme really. If you get badly punted off, it could already cost you a heap of positions. This way, you can at least drive hell for leather to at least reclaim something. Racing against the clock gets you points (provided you can break the "2/3 barrier").

You please me all the time wally  :o
This is a good thing (I think).

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 09:15:03 PM »
That's a good idea and it makes it more interesting for the fast guys...instead of just cruising sometimes.
Or actually it affects the guys further back as well...it's a good thing and you can use it strategically to your advantage.
When it comes to creating close competition a ballast system based on position in the overall standings or based on the actual outcome of the previous race or races  (which is reflected in the points you get) would be better though imo.
Doing the fastest lap in a race is a nice thing, but it has no direct affect on the championship and therefore I find it a bit inefficient compared to the other options available.
Just my opinion :-)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 10:02:32 PM »
That's a good idea and it makes it more interesting for the fast guys...instead of just cruising sometimes.
Or actually it affects the guys further back as well...it's a good thing and you can use it strategically to your advantage.
When it comes to creating close competition a ballast system based on position in the overall standings or based on the actual outcome of the previous race or races  (which is reflected in the points you get) would be better though imo.
Doing the fastest lap in a race is a nice thing, but it has no direct affect on the championship and therefore I find it a bit inefficient compared to the other options available.
Just my opinion :-)
Yep, we have tried that a few times in the past too. Your fastest lap is a good measure of your overall pace and who needs to be slowed down - and the good thing here is that you can add appropriate ballast during the round, instead of just applying it next round once you know the standings.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal