Xtreme Gaming Network

Tuesday Season 1: BMW M3 E30 Information and Driver Signup

Author Topic: Tuesday Season 1: BMW M3 E30 Information and Driver Signup  (Read 67993 times)

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday Season 1: BMW M3 E30 Information and Driver Signup
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2014, 10:48:44 PM »
I see ;D
Welcome Fatih.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2014, 10:08:48 AM »
I will be happy to just stay between the fences.  ;D

I have been racing the M3 E30 quite a bit and can catch its back end more often than not. Love Imola but still am 10seconds off the pace.
I know I need to improve on the back of Imola.
How do you pros drive the E30 through Acque Minerali? Sideways?
Coming into the 1st Rivazza can un-stick me too but it's sweet to get sideways though there. Where do you guy break?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2014, 11:22:35 AM »
At Acque Minerale, I'm sure to go out wide to the left after the first right hander, and then brake early and take an early apex on the second right hander, taking a little kerb. Bear in mind that you'll be expected to keep at least one wheel between the white lines and not run wide to the left of the track here.

At the fist Rivazza, I brake fairly early because of the downhill speed you carry there, and then kind of drift into the apex.

Don't know if that helps :)

It would be really nice if you could exchange ghost replay files. That would be a great learning tool.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2014, 11:28:08 AM »
Take a look at the attached file. It's some kind of telemetry file. Try dropping this in your Documents\Assetto Corsa\ctelemetry\player folder and see what happens. Maybe it shows up in the telemetry screen you can see when you're in the pits as an opponent car to compare your telemetry against.

Or.... here's my ghost car: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bpndlgbxnb9fhg4/GHOST_CAR_Wally%20Masterson_bmw_m3_e30_gra.ghost
You can put this in your Documents\Assetto Corsa\GhostCar\imola folder.
You may have to back up your existing ghost car file, and then change my name in the file name to yours.

[Old attachment deleted by admin to free up space]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:38:48 AM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2014, 11:44:29 AM »
Nah, I still couldn't select an opponents telemetry file (the list was empty) but it certainly looks like something that will come.
I think it can be done via AIM Race Studio 2. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2014, 12:40:21 PM »
At Acque Minerale, I'm sure to go out wide to the left after the first right hander, and then brake early and take an early apex on the second right hander, taking a little kerb. Bear in mind that you'll be expected to keep at least one wheel between the white lines and not run wide to the left of the track here.

At the fist Rivazza, I brake fairly early because of the downhill speed you carry there, and then kind of drift into the apex.

It would be really nice if you could exchange ghost replay files. That would be a great learning tool.

Thanks Wally! You are all becoming mentors of mine. So I do actually listen to you all. absorbing it all and getting it into practice takes time.
Even if I drove straight through every chicane, you will all still beat me! lol

Yes, sharing ghost's would be helpful. Seeing telemetry in a replay is also helpful.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2014, 02:53:07 PM »

Thanks Wally! You are all becoming mentors of mine. So I do actually listen to you all. absorbing it all and getting it into practice takes time.

Yes, sharing ghost's would be helpful. Seeing telemetry in a replay is also helpful.

Did you see where I put a download link to my ghost file a few posts back? I'd be curious if you can get that to work in your game.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2014, 03:10:44 PM »

Did you see where I put a download link to my ghost file a few posts back? I'd be curious if you can get that to work in your game.

I'm at work now, so alas, no Assetto Corsa. but I will try...
But it gets worse. The phone lines are down at home so no internet all weekend! I'm almost suicidal..
I'm hoping it will be fixed today. I'm getting nervous about it not being back on-line for tomorrow night.

I certainly will let you if I can't get on-line for tomorrow's race.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2014, 09:26:23 PM »
Take a look at the attached file. It's some kind of telemetry file. Try dropping this in your Documents\Assetto Corsa\ctelemetry\player folder and see what happens. Maybe it shows up in the telemetry screen you can see when you're in the pits as an opponent car to compare your telemetry against.

Or.... here's my ghost car: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bpndlgbxnb9fhg4/GHOST_CAR_Wally%20Masterson_bmw_m3_e30_gra.ghost
You can put this in your Documents\Assetto Corsa\GhostCar\imola folder.
You may have to back up your existing ghost car file, and then change my name in the file name to yours.

Thanks Wally! it worked!
Works fine after renaming it from Wally's name to Dick's name.

Only problem is it's too fast! lol

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2014, 10:16:23 PM »

I have been racing the M3 E30 quite a bit and can catch its back end more often than not. Love Imola but still am 10seconds off the pace.
Coming into the 1st Rivazza can un-stick me too but it's sweet to get sideways though there. Where do you guy break?

Well, I'm not a pro, but as soon as you start to slide going through the second right you are giving away a ton of speed on the following run to the chicane.  So tame that rear end Ko.

The way I tackle it is to take just a fraction of curb going into the first right and than brake early toward the outside of the track so you can turn in, hit the inside curb and start to power on just as you get to that apex.  So pretty much what Wally said.  They key is not to brake too heavily between the 1st and 2nd right as you are still turning and will upset the car, so better to brake early than late for it.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2014, 11:44:25 PM »

Well, I'm not a pro, but as soon as you start to slide going through the second right you are giving away a ton of speed on the following run to the chicane.  So tame that rear end Ko.

The way I tackle it is to take just a fraction of curb going into the first right and than brake early toward the outside of the track so you can turn in, hit the inside curb and start to power on just as you get to that apex.  So pretty much what Wally said.  They key is not to brake too heavily between the 1st and 2nd right as you are still turning and will upset the car, so better to brake early than late for it.

Excellent advice!

I think that better brake early is true in almost all corners.  Exit speed is the name of the game, plus
- the car wobbles a lot when you change between brake/throttle
- it turns better with throttle on
so it's best to be done with the braking before the apex, and take the apex with some throttle applied

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2014, 09:16:18 AM »

Excellent advice!

I think that better brake early is true in almost all corners.  Exit speed is the name of the game, plus
- the car wobbles a lot when you change between brake/throttle
- it turns better with throttle on
so it's best to be done with the braking before the apex, and take the apex with some throttle applied

Thanks Bird. I've been practicing breaking in a straight line and getting breaking done before I enter a corner. Riding motorbikes in real life has taught me that as well. Still, putting it into practice under pressure is another story.

Still getting the hang of feeling what a car is telling me in corners, I can catch the E30 easier than any other atm. I know that the sound of rubber squealing is the sound of speed being lost. But if they aren't, just, squealing you aren't pushing right?

Chasing Wally's ghost has been a bit of a laugh as well as humbling.  ( I can't even see it by the time I've gotten up the hill after the hair-pin.)
I was having big troubles last night even at the 1st chicane! (Imola) I don't know what I was doing wrong. The back end would just slide out, I swear I am breaking in a straight line, earlier than Wally even. Soft on the peddle didn't matter.
I am using Guybrush's set-up. I gave it two click to the right on break bias to see if that would straighten me up.. Seemed to help but I stopped for the night soon after.
  Cause I don't really know what the car is telling me when it gets loose, I don't know what to change in set ups. Really It's not the set up It's the Dick behind the wheel. lol

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2014, 09:27:33 AM »
Quote from: Dick Forrest
I know that the sound of rubber squealing is the sound of speed being lost. But if they aren't, just, squealing you aren't pushing right?
The sounds in a game aren't always real! ;)  In this case they're a bit exaggerated.  There are also levels of tyre sounds.  The first level is the good level; you're on the limit.   

Yeah, it's not that you must brake in a straight line - you can't always do that - just do it before the apex.   If the rear kicks out too much, you can either adjust the setup (most obvious thing to change: brake balance to the front, i.e. increase the percentage) but you'll give away some braking power this way, pretty soon.   

Or you can adjust your driving style; 
- either don't apply full braking, ever. Really, about 50-80% pedal travel is where you need to operate.
- or: lots of sim racers apply a bit of throttle in sticky situations. It stabilises the rear.  You need to left-foot brake for this, of course.

A trick:  if things go completely belly up, and you know you won't be able to save it conventionally,  you can jump on the brake AND the throttle and pull the car out of really nasty slides, sometimes. 

But all in all; just keep practising.  It takes time to get used to things.   I've found that for me the best way to get a handle on a new sim/car is to practice at different tracks.    Maybe you can try it; run half-hour sessions at each track of the season.  Especially good if you know the track already, somewhat.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 09:29:18 AM by Bird »

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2014, 10:17:52 AM »
Quote from: Dick Forrest
I know that the sound of rubber squealing is the sound of speed being lost. But if they aren't, just, squealing you aren't pushing right?
The sounds in a game aren't always real! ;)  In this case they're a bit exaggerated.  There are also levels of tyre sounds.  The first level is the good level; you're on the limit.   

Yeah, it's not that you must brake in a straight line - you can't always do that - just do it before the apex.   If the rear kicks out too much, you can either adjust the setup (most obvious thing to change: brake balance to the front, i.e. increase the percentage) but you'll give away some braking power this way, pretty soon.   

Or you can adjust your driving style; 
- either don't apply full braking, ever. Really, about 50-80% pedal travel is where you need to operate.
- or: lots of sim racers apply a bit of throttle in sticky situations. It stabilises the rear.  You need to left-foot brake for this, of course.

A trick:  if things go completely belly up, and you know you won't be able to save it conventionally,  you can jump on the brake AND the throttle and pull the car out of really nasty slides, sometimes. 

But all in all; just keep practising.  It takes time to get used to things.   I've found that for me the best way to get a handle on a new sim/car is to practice at different tracks.    Maybe you can try it; run half-hour sessions at each track of the season.  Especially good if you know the track already, somewhat.

I will have to try the jump on both peddles trick. I've noticed my feet are undecided about which one is going to do the breaking. Sometimes it's my right, sometimes left. I think I favor my left in 'panic' situations.

I've been getting out on most tracks and kinda 'know' Monza, Imola and Magione. 'Know' as in don't need to look at the map.
Still get lost on Silverstone. Maggotts, Becketts and Chapel are my nemesis.

Really the only tracks I haven't done many laps on are the Vallelunga ones.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2014, 10:27:29 AM »
Get rid of track maps :)  They are highly detrimental IMHO.
You can learn a regular track layout in about an hour or less - but with the map it takes longer, and you won't watch the more important things.
Eventually you need to know the corners without seeing them (when someone in front blocks your view!)

Concentrate on the surrounds, drive the first few laps really slow (as you'd normally do)  watch the trackside marks (most corners have those 300-200-100-50 signs) and watch the track surface for marks:  most cars you can pull up safely if you start 10-20m before the start of the tyre marks.   

I think it's much more productive this way.

Then once you know the track fairly well (you can drive it in your mind - which is also a good exercise) then look at the track map, and identify if your feeling for a corner matches the map.   Sometimes I can work out why a corner seems slower than it is by the map. 

And watch other people's driving (real/sim) the track for tricks.   But I reckon these exercises are really only helpful after you've learned the track layout (the initial one hour session). 

Disclaimer: this won't work in an hour at Nordschleife :D

Edit:
oh, one more very good exercise can be - even early on - is to follow someone who knows the track well.  Ask them to drive relatively slow, and follow them.  In 5 laps you'll learn a lot.  And I mean a lot.  We've done this sort of thing all the time, and it always works best for quickly learning tracks.   

I'm happy to do this with you if you like, I know pretty much all the track layouts by now :)  But we need to organise an official practice night - thursday to sunday somewhere, probably.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 10:30:32 AM by Bird »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal