Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 4 thoughts

Author Topic: Season 4 thoughts  (Read 38504 times)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
Re: Season 4 thoughts
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 08:05:45 AM »
Or perhaps just have a separate Hyper car series?  It won't be long and we'll be having to come back to the same cars we've used before,  so maybe it's best to stretch it out.

GT makes a interesting point. With these multi-car seasons we are using up a huge range of cars in one season. That is a lot of cars to leave out of the mix the next season. Then there are guys like that may only be in the one car for the whole season. That means there is 4-5 cars I will never get to drive in a season at all straight up. Unless they are included in another series. and the same situation will happen as before. I'll miss out on the 'slower' cars

lets look at this season as an example.
I've been in the Exige step 3 all season.

Here is a list of cars I'll probably never get to race until they show up again in a season... and how often will that be??

Evora S S2
Exige Scura
Exige S Roadster
M3 E92 Step 1
Evora S
Exige 240R
M3 E92
BMW 1M
Elise SC S2
Elise SC S1
Elise SC
Z4 E89 S1

There is only one real solution. Ballast.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:09:42 AM by Dick Forrest »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 08:11:28 AM »
Having the hyper cars mixed in with the GT cars would give the same effect as having the M3 e92 racing with the Elise SC, yes the lap times are the same but it makes having really close racing harder because its just either some one flying past on the straight or out braking and round the corner a lot faster.

That's the nature of mixed car races.   We can do it, IMO. ;)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 08:34:44 AM »
I think you may as well throw in a tatuus and 312T as theyd be within the range of laptimes but again done very differently. The gap between a Zonda and evora gtc is about 9 seconds I dont think there is that big a gap between people in the league then also give the zonda a 60kmh top speed advantage and I just think the racing will be a bit too mixed up. I Will put up a server tonight with all these cars and people can jump on to see how they match up.

Even just having the gt cars all thrown in with 3 different classes provides enough of a mix up in my view you dont need to over do it with such different performing cars.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 08:40:30 AM »
If we don't have the hypercars (only the Zonda and the 599, which are each about a second and a bit faster than the preceding cars), then we don't have enough seconds spread to cover our field, and there will be quite a concentration of Evora GXs. People were complaining already that there were too many Elises.

I  take your point about them just blasting past on the straights though. I've been the victim of that myself plenty of times in the Elise. By the way, the same thing ended up happening in the netKar league - some guys would have so much ballast they were effectively be towing a caravan, and be left for dead on the straights. I think that's always going to happen if you handicap a car's top speed to compress the field.

Because the main race is 45 min long, with a pit stop, the racing will be different to a sprint. Things like pit strategy, concentration, consistency and not making mistakes will be more important than outright speed. Because of that, I agree, we can leave the hypercars out because they'll be impossible to stay in front of.

But complaints that there are too many Evoras are BANNED.

@Dick, you're right about using up cars. With such a big spread of lap times in our guys, you need to cover a lot of seconds spread over 24 drivers of different abilities, and that's going to take a few cars. Yes, ballast fixes things, because then you can use less cars (or even one car). It would work really well to have say a three vaguely similar car field, so you can mix up strengths and weaknesses, and then even them out with ballast.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 08:56:36 AM »
Because the main race is 45 min long,

holly chite batman...

My bladder can't even concentrate for that long let alone me. Seriously I can't do that Wally :(

Thinking about it, The last thing I'd be doing after 45mins is having fun lol. But if that's what you big players do then don't let me stop you.
I'll just do the sprint race.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:03:10 AM by Dick Forrest »

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 09:15:50 AM »
Hello! Why using 10 cars?,i think using 4 GT cars the closest in terms of fuel comsuption and speed is a good choice

I like that race format wally,especially the 45 min race with pit stops 8)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:23:11 AM by Simone »

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 09:29:51 AM »
Sorry, I was under the assumption that the GT cars would be faster than the Hyper Cars, which would have worked well but it must be the other way around when it comes to the Loti, etc.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 10:51:06 AM »
Because the main race is 45 min long,

holly chite batman...

My bladder can't even concentrate for that long let alone me. Seriously I can't do that Wally :(

Thinking about it, The last thing I'd be doing after 45mins is having fun lol. But if that's what you big players do then don't let me stop you.
I'll just do the sprint race.

That's a pity Dick. Give it a go... the focus is fun. I've done solo 2 hr enduro races through simulated night and day. It turns your brain into mush. It's great fun. The thing is, you can't please all the people all the time, and lots of people like longer races with pitstops in my experience.

Hello! Why using 10 cars?,i think using 4 GT cars the closest in terms of fuel comsuption and speed is a good choice

I like that race format wally,especially the 45 min race with pit stops 8)
The 10 cars (8 without the Zonda and 599) are automatically assigned according to your speed, like a handicap system. More cars gives you more flexibility to assign an appropriate car.

Sorry, I was under the assumption that the GT cars would be faster than the Hyper Cars, which would have worked well but it must be the other way around when it comes to the Loti, etc.
No, according to the RSR records, the Zonda and 599 are quite a bit faster on average, but they get their oomph from straight line speed, so it would be the case of having them whiz past on the straights all the time.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 11:10:19 AM »
 I can't see it being fun for me at all. It's all good though. You guys are the pros. I'm a very long way off wanting to race for that long. I don't even like to drive IRL for that long! lol

I'm sure you guys have noticed me AFK more than once. I'm out of my race chair every 5-10 mins. When you see me sitting in the pits. You can be sure 90% of the time I'm not in my race chair. I'm actually standing up, moving around talking on TS if I'm in the room at all. lol

I'm at 20mins max-fall-out-of-the-chair-never-going-to-play-this-game-again racer. It's a experience thing I think..
   Remember, 6-8 months ago I didn't even have a wheel or had I raced a SIM game outside of timezone or GranTarismo with a controller.
What Am I going to do in a 45 min race once i'm lapped by everyone on lap 12-15? Have fun? hmmm.
BUT!! Please do not make changes to your plans. I'll race in the sprints and be happy with that thakyou! :)

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 11:54:59 AM »
Dick!  Nobody is a pro at anything here mate,its only fun and entertainment. :o

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 12:21:58 PM »
Dick!  Nobody is a pro at anything here mate,its only fun and entertainment. :o

Hi Simone! You are all pro next to me!  :) And I do have a lot of fun!

I have learnt so much about sim racing by being here at XGN! Even Marty has taught me a thing or two... I could never have learnt it on my own. Give me a year or two and I'll prob be happy to do 45mins.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 01:15:19 PM »
...But complaints that there are too many Evoras are BANNED. ...

Sorry, but if you are making decisions based on one, albeit rather prolific member than at least let us complain. :)

I think we should wait for more opinions.  I myself prefer having a supercar in for Dick or maybe other slower members, so they have a shot at staying close to the field.   Their mistake/lap ratio will be higher, anyway. 
I don't see fast cars as an issue on longer/faster tracks at all.   There maybe an issue if we run slower tracks; these cars just don't stop nor turn nearly as well as a GT2 car.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 01:43:15 PM »
...But complaints that there are too many Evoras are BANNED. ...

Sorry, but if you are making decisions based on one, albeit rather prolific member than at least let us complain. :)

I think we should wait for more opinions.  I myself prefer having a supercar in for Dick or maybe other slower members, so they have a shot at staying close to the field.   Their mistake/lap ratio will be higher, anyway. 
I don't see fast cars as an issue on longer/faster tracks at all.   There maybe an issue if we run slower tracks; these cars just don't stop nor turn nearly as well as a GT2 car.

I thought about it, and I agreed that it's no fun to catch up to a car in the corners only to have it take off like a rocket in the straights again (been there, done that). We'll have a 4 percent coverage with the 8 cars. Let's see how it goes... if the slowest are left behind, we can always put the Zonda and 599 in at a later stage.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 01:49:12 PM »
I'm getting pro now. Might be lethal in a supercar soon...
  Using the H-shifter tonight. 

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 01:53:05 PM »
I'm getting pro now. Might be lethal in a supercar soon...
  Using the H-shifter tonight.

I don't think you can even use an H shifter in the GT cars, can you?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal