Xtreme Gaming Network

Fun Run: 7-7-2016

Author Topic: Fun Run: 7-7-2016  (Read 24626 times)

Offline Phil.8

• Δ8
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Run: 7-7-2016
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2016, 09:17:34 AM »
The coaching session is a good idea. Phil had so much more pace. Maybe fixed set ups would be good too?

I will try, I haven't done anything like that before,  In iracing on a Sunday night the skip barber community would have a track lesson from one of the fast dudes. He would drive around a lap very slowly doing his lines and sometimes nearly stopping saying stuff like gears and brake points

They also did a video of them driving the track with a right up on the corners and gears, that could be studied, but that might be beyond me :)
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2016, 09:33:38 AM »
The coaching session is a good idea. Phil had so much more pace. Maybe fixed set ups would be good too?

I will try, I haven't done anything like that before,  In iracing on a Sunday night the skip barber community would have a track lesson from one of the fast dudes. He would drive around a lap very slowly doing his lines and sometimes nearly stopping saying stuff like gears and brake points
I think that you doing a couple of laps with people riding with you as you comment on each corner would be good. As well as the iracing-style follow the leader around the circuit.

They also did a video of them driving the track with a right up on the corners and gears, that could be studied, but that might be beyond me :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2016, 10:22:55 AM »
@Wally, it would also be great if we could turn PLP lights on/off on the night. I have set PLP to be on for Tuesday and Thursday. Last night I dismissed the app which turned the lights off for me but the 20sec penalty was still issued. If everyone was able to turn PLP on last night we probably would have used it.
Why not just turn PLP off on Thursdays? It's not really used on Thursdays.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2016, 10:37:12 AM »

I dont think setup is that much, its just a tricky car to drive at the limit. It took me until race 2 to get to Phils pace but I was still slow in a couple corners. Pushing a fraction harder made it likely to loose the car entirely as it needed to be driven pretty agressive with a fine line of what you can and cant save. The closer you push to the cant save the quicker it went but also more risk.

Its very much like driving karts where you get them sliding a fair bit, unfortunatly the times wont be as close as it comes to really pushing hard for the ultimate pace out of them I think. Some guys just arent as comfortable in a car thats sliding around and these little things are that basic OW type car you need to push quite hard for pace.

Reverse grid for race 2 I think works well but you could try fixed setups next week, my initial gearing was nearly undriveable at this track though so if the fixed setup is no good then everyone will struggle. My car was so bad in quaky and race 1 Im amazed I finished those. All I changed for the other race was lengthened second and 3rd gear also raised the diff coast and brake bias more to the rear.

Offline humper

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2016, 12:09:07 PM »
I like the fixed setup so you're not left wondering if its the car or the driver. However the setup needs to be stable and easy to drive, sacrificing outright speed rather than some twitchy quali car.

Like Marty in the 3rd race I changed the diff power down and coast up which made much less prone to spinning but it seemed about a second slower.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2016, 12:32:35 PM »
I found the car very prone to spin on the slow corners in particular.  The worst corner for me was turn 1.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2016, 12:59:57 PM »
I found the car very prone to spin on the slow corners in particular.  The worst corner for me was turn 1.

T1 was an issue as it needed 2nd gear but getting down to it was licking rears on entry under compression. I dont know if I ran default gears or may have gone 1 click down on final drive. I only drove a handful of laps there before the nite and jumped in at qualy. The setup I ran was no good but nothing I could do in qualy so I just stayed out and tried to drive around the issues.

Race 1 I still wasnt sure what the issues were so ran that and got an idea of what to change for the second race. I prefer open setups but I also dont mind just driving to what the car has so either adapt to it or make changes if possible.

The one thing thats tricky is having no idea what ideal pressures were and with not many laps it was just a pure guess. I was quite low early but raised it for the later races. Fixed setups may close up the racing a bit but when I ran fixed setups on my servers the time gaps were pretty much the same between the same people.

It makes it a bit easier as you dont need many laps to make any changes but in the end some will still get more out of it then others. Thats where ballast is another option that works well if done properly. It means the quicker guys will still need to push as hard as they can yet end laptimes should be ideally within 1 sec for all drivers.

The better guys will still be more consistant but I dont think ballast is good if it just reverses the grid. If it makes the quick guys slowest and slow guys fastest its just reversing the problem and more frustrating to the quicker guys that now have no chance.

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2016, 02:22:34 PM »
Has any of the fast guys posted their setup anywhere. I'm hopeless with this type of car and need all the help I can get... ::) :D

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2016, 02:30:36 PM »
Seems that we ran mostly default setup with just 2nd and 3rd raised a little.

If 3rd was too low I just spun if I changed down too early by accident.  I managed to be in the 1:38 range for most laps and got some laps in the 1:37 range. Marty and Phil were only in the 1:36 range so I was pretty happy with that. Others seemed to have more "oversteer spin" issues that I did. If everyone is in the 1:38 range and don't spin it would be great.

These cars are great to drive and should produce a good fun season.

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2016, 02:33:34 PM »
I've only managed to crack :38 once. Seem to be stuck in the low 39's. Ah well, another week of practice... ;)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2016, 03:01:47 PM »
Has any of the fast guys posted their setup anywhere. I'm hopeless with this type of car and need all the help I can get... ::) :D

If we are doing another run at the same track I will try get a few laps in during the week and post a setup. The options are fairly limited  and with only 4 gears trying to sort these can be tricky. 1 possibility could be make 1st long enough for t1 and last turn and then you have the other 3 gears for the rest of the track. As it was, it was just 2nd and 3rd most of the way and these were all wrong for most corners.  :D

I dont know how bad a tall 1st gear would be off the line or if you can even set ratios to really be closer to ideal at this track. Seems the mod has no engine/gearbox damage or server may have had it off so its not the issue but shifting down into the limiter acts very much like pulling the handbrake and with very short brake zones its quite tricky if the rear breaks away on entry.

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2016, 03:28:01 PM »
No guarantee that a fast set will help much. I think it's more a combination of the way I drive and aging reflexes. I'm more competitive in the historic type cars. Put me in modern race cars with grip and brakes and I struggle... :-\

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2016, 04:00:09 PM »
I dont think you need a fast set more one thats driveable, I think the one I had I wouldnt call it that but Im sure it should be quite possibe to make it better. It would be a challenge to make it any worse actually.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2016, 04:02:40 PM »
No guarantee that a fast set will help much. I think it's more a combination of the way I drive and aging reflexes. I'm more competitive in the historic type cars. Put me in modern race cars with grip and brakes and I struggle... :-\
Jeez Slideways. This car was built in 1974 :D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2016, 05:54:58 PM »
Jeez Slideways. This car was built in 1974 :D

Maybe he thinks anything after 1967 is the modern era.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal