Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 5: Mugello Race Chat

Author Topic: Round 5: Mugello Race Chat  (Read 48649 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Round 5: Mugello Race Chat
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2014, 07:34:46 AM »
Am I wrong in thinking the suspension differences between front and back also add to the drag effect? I'm not sure if it was placebo but I noticed lifting the suspension on the rear got my more stability through the twisty sections.

I'd need to check but from memory my suspension was 2-3 front and 5 at the back.  My wings were 3-4 for the race  :o

Rake angle with basic ride height and also suspension stiffness should have an effect downforce and drag. If the cars rake angle is lower at the front to the rear then this will increase the wing angles and also the body itself will create some more downforce as more of it will be hitting the air. Also difference in stiffness from front to rear will effect how much the cars weight shifts under braking and acceleration effecting rake angle. A stiffer rear should keep the front down creating more df and drag on acceleration in a straight also making the weight shift forward a bit quicker under braking.

How much this effects each car may be quite different and also to what limit dynamic aero is applied in AC its hard to tell. Technically a car with more rear wing and a softer rear couod have less drag then a stiffer rear car same wing or even less rear wing. As you accelerate the rear will compress and also the rear df will push the rear down. Reducing the rake angle and also the wing angles if the rear ends up dropping more then the stiffer lower wing. Under braking the rear will still rise and so give more aero at the rear and so balance the grip more rearward still so more prone to understeer on entry.

I really havent checked too mich how this is all implemented in ac but if you enable dev apps and check the aero and suspension you should see if df and drag are changing at the same time as the rake angle is being effected under accleration and braking.

I also tried a few different wing angles in the Monza round and found it not effecting my top speed im the way I expected. But my speed in the parabolica was much quicker with more rear wing as it was quite loose with less there and the time lost on exit wasnt made up with less drag on the straight. Very similar to the last corner at Mugello with a similar result for me.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2014, 08:00:08 AM »
It depends how soft your suspension and dampers are, but I normally find that raising the rear slightly will stop the rear end loosing traction mid turn and on exit.  I guess this is because the weight of the car is more gradual in leaning on and off the tyre when there is more room/height to do so.

Online Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2014, 08:32:07 AM »
Technically, a lower ride height should be beneficial mid-corner, by lowering the CoG and therefore lateral transfer.
But it is very much dependant on the ARB/spring/damper combo.
Likewise, if the car is loose in a med-high speed corner, stiffening the rear ARB can provide more grip by transfering more weight to the inside wheel, as opposed to the common conception of softer=more grip (this is generally true for low speed corners).

I prefer over-damped low speed settings and stiff ARB which allow for a slightly softer spring (for grip) without compromising platform stability.

Ride height for aero is predominantly governed by the floor configuration, ie. splitter size, flat floor, diffuser, etc. although there are effects from the upper-body.

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal