Xtreme Gaming Network

Fun run: GPL 67 at Watkins Glen (Boot Classic)

Author Topic: Fun run: GPL 67 at Watkins Glen (Boot Classic)  (Read 27798 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: Fun run: GPL 67 at Watkins Glen (Boot Classic)
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2019, 08:11:01 AM »
Does the in-built penalty for using sequential gears instead of shifter apply? When I was racing it was worth around 0.5 to 1 second a lap depending on the car.

That certainly is the case, but for those of us not using a h-shifter they're not getting the full simulation experience  ;) *cough* Russ *cough*

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2019, 09:50:21 AM »
I really wanted to drive the car that the hero in my teen years drove , which was Jim Clark, the Lotus 49, but it is just too hard for me too control :'(.

I have now opted for the Eagle.

How will the cars be allocated Wally? I think there may be a shortage of Ferrari_312 s.

Maybe we should ban the quicker drivers from using the quicker cars? Only the Mclaren, Honda or Cooper for aliens  ;D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2019, 10:34:32 AM »
I really wanted to drive the car that the hero in my teen years drove , which was Jim Clark, the Lotus 49, but it is just too hard for me too control :'( .

How will the cars be allocated Wally? I think there may be a shortage of Ferrari_312 s.
Everyone will get to nominate the car they want, and I will assign everyone their chosen car on the grid.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2019, 10:36:32 AM »
I really wanted to drive the car that the hero in my teen years drove , which was Jim Clark, the Lotus 49, but it is just too hard for me too control :'( .

Maybe we should ban the quicker drivers from using the quicker cars? Only the Mclaren, Honda or Cooper for aliens  ;D
What we could do, like we've done on a Thursday, is to say that whoever wins a round can't drive that car again for the rest of the season. That way the leaders will slowly fall down into slower cars. It might get annoying for the front runners to be in a different car each week though. What do you reckon?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2019, 10:42:01 AM »
240ms for sequential.
And 360ms for auto, which is just plain wrong.

This explains the bullshit I heard where people said gated shifting was quicker. That delay is designed for sequential only cars.
For all my mods I have now set that delay to 43ms, a nominal and very small delay as even Superman can't shift instantly.
n.b. If the car supports a gated shifter then the delay should be set very low. FFS more than half the peeps don't have a gated shifter so why should they be at a disadvantage. (same for the delay when using auto)
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2019, 10:45:04 AM »
What we could do, like we've done on a Thursday, is to say that whoever wins a round can't drive that car again for the rest of the season. That way the leaders will slowly fall down into slower cars. It might get annoying for the front runners to be in a different car each week though. What do you reckon?

+1  ;) :) ;)

As I don't understand the restrictions on car choice anyway.
IRL I can't think of any cases where this is a rule,  in the halcyon days drivers would change cars in the middle of the race!
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2019, 11:40:17 AM »

+1  ;) :) ;)

As I don't understand the restrictions on car choice anyway.
IRL I can't think of any cases where this is a rule,  in the halcyon days drivers would change cars in the middle of the race!
+another one ;D.
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2019, 12:28:26 PM »
+3, winners change cars.  Should be fun :D

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2019, 01:27:29 PM »
Wally, the Ferrari is the only car I worked out a setup for so I'd go for that one.
Not sure what to think of your idea about winners changing to slower cars...I highly doubt I will be affected by that.
I'd prefer interferences to be kept to a minimum...maybe a bit of ballast or restrictor for the guy(s) in the lead, but it seems like I'm in the minority...whatever...  :)
kcender's, Phil's or Guybrush's opinion is more important imo.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2019, 02:23:43 PM »
Wally, the Ferrari is the only car I worked out a setup for so I'd go for that one.
Not sure what to think of your idea about winners changing to slower cars...I highly doubt I will be affected by that.
I'd prefer interferences to be kept to a minimum...maybe a bit of ballast or restrictor for the guy(s) in the lead, but it seems like I'm in the minority...whatever...  :)

I definitely don't associate myself with the faster guys so it depends what the regular race winners say, but my immediate thoughts would be that you'd be better off coming second than first.  For me, it only singles out the winner, not the "faster drivers", that might even itself out over the course of the season.  But I'm still trying to figure out the apps I need let alone the driving part!

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2019, 02:29:50 PM »
Does the in-built penalty for using sequential gears instead of shifter apply? When I was racing it was worth around 0.5 to 1 second a lap depending on the car.

That certainly is the case, but for those of us not using a h-shifter they're not getting the full simulation experience  ;) *cough* Russ *cough*

I got a fanatec wheel and pedals but can't bring myself to pay $300+ for a shifter.  So paddles it is at the moment.  Thinking of getting one of those 3d printed shifters from Spain.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2019, 02:40:36 PM »
I definitely don't associate myself with the faster guys

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Give it a few laps...

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2019, 02:41:44 PM »
I haven't even had a chance to even download the mod yet. I'll get it tonight but any suggestions. Is any one easier than the others and who has a good setup ?  :)

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2019, 03:27:08 PM »
The rule need not be strict, so if you win in your favourite car and really want to keep racing that car then good on you. However if you then win a second time, others may wonder if it is you or the car. Again keep driving the same car and maybe even win when everyone else is also driving that car, suggesting it is your skill and not the car.
Or just go by the spirit of the rule and stop trying to deconstruct every bloody nuance as if we were all rational actors using game theory.  >:( >:( >:(

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2019, 03:28:04 PM »

I definitely don't associate myself with the faster guys so it depends what the regular race winners say, but my immediate thoughts would be that you'd be better off coming second than first.  For me, it only singles out the winner, not the "faster drivers", that might even itself out over the course of the season.  But I'm still trying to figure out the apps I need let alone the driving part!
But it seems to me you should  ;)
I thought the fastest guys want to win races and the series as well. If you want to win the series you need to finish races at the top end. I'd give ballast to the guys in the lead of the series (maybe top 3 or 5...10 no idea), not the fastest as per lap times. Of course the fastest guy could play games and only come where he has to in order to stay within reach of the overall lead and try to avoid penalty weight/restrictor, but I really doubt that would be fun and it can backfire in case something goes wrong in the very last race. I would expect a fast guy to be still wanting to win races and just see it as a challenge to defend his position with a bit more weight than the guy behind him in the series...and if he's not successful the guy behind will be in the same predicament carrying more weight. In the end it should get the top 5 to stay closer to the mid field.
The tricky thing I can't judge is how a really fast guy would see a car change Wally suggested. That's because I most likely need a lot more time and struggle more with setting up a car (lack of skills & technical knowledge) and that results in me being more affected by this. A really fast guy may prefer that over getting some restrictor just because he will be more efficient with setting up a car and getting fast with it. Kcender, Phil and you will beat my time not just in the car you've picked, but in a number of other cars
as well. That's what I think anyway.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 03:34:52 PM by killagorilla »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal