Xtreme Gaming Network

S14R4: Silverstone GP Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S14R4: Silverstone GP Post-Race Chat  (Read 16232 times)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: S14R4: Silverstone GP Post-Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 08:45:47 PM »
Yeah, so when the leader says "go" don't just floor it, stay behind the car in front but don't expect anymore braking, floor it when you hit the start line. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 10:41:48 PM »
I think Bafs17 must have thought he wasn't allowed to pass anyone before the start line as he braked in the middle of the straight at the start.

Yeah that is right, you can't pass before the line.
That's right.

I'm glad you're enjoying the racing Russ.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2016, 11:02:06 PM »
Still a bit of a shame there is no 2 wide starts as it makes the start a procession as have been most races this season. No hope of out qualifying Guybrush so the only hope any of us really have against him is beating him to t1 but the single file makes that pretty much impossible. I think I have had maybe 2 passes this season and main reason I haven't made any videos as most races have been rather boring from my car.

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 11:43:35 PM »
Yeah that is right, you can't pass before the line.

Oh OK.
I thought it was when the leader said go, it was go  :)
I have also been passed before the Start line in previous races which has added to my confusion.
I'll be more aware next time. IMHO standing starts are the only way to go  :D

Yeah, so when the leader says "go" don't just floor it, stay behind the car in front but don't expect anymore braking, floor it when you hit the start line. ;)
I did stay behind the car in front. Just wasn't expecting firm braking half way down the straight because the cars in the middle of the track were so much slower ....

Cheers
RussG
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2016, 07:23:21 AM »
Yeah, I wasn't expecting that either Russ, and I got passed by 2 cars before the line as well. :-\

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2016, 08:36:29 AM »
I'll give a verbal reminder before the race start next round.

Re the 2 wide starts, it's working as planned now - we have had hardly any opening incidents at all and everyone is getting away cleanly, which is the whole point.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2016, 08:54:52 AM »
Re the 2 wide starts, it's working as planned now - we have had hardly any opening incidents at all and everyone is getting away cleanly, which is the whole point.

Yep working as planned at creating less interesting race starts, still having t1 incidents indicate its not an issue of the start procedure.  ;)

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2016, 09:27:13 AM »
Marty: I agree that this season's races are less exciting in terms of close duels. But I am actually appreciating the variety in racing styles Wally is trying to create. We had stock car close pack and bangs seasons (Toyota's, Japanese Pack), all-in GT sprints (Lotus, GT3), open-wheel "be patient and don't tangle the wheels" sprints (F3.5, 1970s F1), and now we have a season that has a bit more the flavour of an endurance race, with very few lap 1 accidents, and where consistency pays more than flat-out speed. I actually find it quite exciting to wait for the pit window and push those few laps around the pit stop. I know: it's a different style of racing, but one that definitely exists in reality and one that I enjoy trying any now and then. Of course, if all seasons were like this one, I would share you concern and ask Wally to find a way to make it a bit more exciting. But the past season I was averaging something like 10 overtakes and 2 contacts per race. Even that after a while can become a tad boring. I was hardly practicing lap speed as I knew what counted the most was figuring out where you could pass and how to defend without crashing. This season is different. But I find this diversity is actually an occasion to challenge yourself in a slightly different way.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2016, 09:39:58 AM »
Regular format racing in itself generally provides less interesting racing, I dont mind that but then also make starts single file and much less likely to gain a spot on those around you turns races more into a rally type format of simply racing the clock not racing anyone else.

Getting lots of contacts in reverse grid racing I guess is one of the reasons why Wally wanted to keep people apart at the start as its a concession that the field cant race close without excessive contact. I dont actually think thats the case but trying to keep people apart just makes them less comfortable in traffic I think and therefore cause more incidents when people are racing close. I think the reverse grid racing showed that many can race close without hitting everything even if some still didnt manage this, many races I was clean from last to first and so were a few others. There are surely less contacts in the current season as I have barely seen other cars on track, I know its not going to change this season but I hope its the last time we do single file rolling starts.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2016, 11:19:36 AM »
I have to balance peoples stated points, across all 20+ people:

* I prefer longer races
* Lap 1 is a wreck fest -> rage quit
* My race was too lonely
* The car is too hard to drive/the car is too boring to drive
* Frontrunners are too aggressive in reverse grid races
* I like/don't like open wheelers/GT cars/road cars

My answer? Keep mixing it up. That there way, there's always something that someone will like. Everyone gets their turn.

Also, when you look at the "gap to leader" chart in the race results, you see lots of clumps of close lines, showing lots of close racing. Marty and Guybrush are in a bit of leaders' loneliness out front, without a handicap like ballast or reverse grid, with Grat nearby,  especially with Matthew and Jeremy away. But for the middle of the bell curve, the racing is still close.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 11:36:37 AM by Wally »

Offline Bafs17

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2016, 12:23:32 PM »
Really sorry about my race start to everyone affected behind me. I overestimated how much everyone will be accelerating down the straight and found I was going to pass up to 3 or 4 cars before the start line. I think I did brake pretty heavily and would've screwed others up. Happy to take a penalty for that.

Sorry been away the last few days so late with a reply.

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2016, 12:38:20 PM »
My answer? Keep mixing it up. That there way, there's always something that someone will like. Everyone gets their turn.

That's it really isn't it, Wally. I think the only other "fair" answer is to do it one way and tell everybody if they don't like it to go jump in a lake, so I think you're doing a good job!

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2016, 12:54:18 PM »

That's it really isn't it, Wally. I think the only other "fair" answer is to do it one way and tell everybody if they don't like it to go jump in a lake, so I think you're doing a good job!

I agree and really appreciate all the hard work you put in Wally. I've enjoyed every season. I sometimes wonder how you keep your cool when people moan about the same thing over and over.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2016, 02:37:31 PM »

I agree and really appreciate all the hard work you put in Wally. I've enjoyed every season. I sometimes wonder how you keep your cool when people moan about the same thing over and over.
I second that motion . . .

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2016, 03:15:10 PM »

I second that motion . . .

Reason for single file starts is to avoid early collisions, early collisions are still happening so id say its not working and spreads the field out much more along with reducing passes on those around you early.

Last race 8 of 24 were involved in lap 1 contact going by the race report which is not really any better then any other race in other seasons with regular standing starts including reverse grid racing. I cant imagine even the worst reverse grid starts being much worse then 1/3 of the field having lap 1 contact.  ;)

It would be interesting to get some overall season stats per driver such as contacts per race, lap 1 contacts and positions gained or lost vs contacts. Im fairly sure that its usually the same people having more contact and also having more contact on lap 1, these will be much the same in the current season with single file starts compared to past seasons with standing starts. If everyone could see how often they have contact then those having more then their fare share can try and change their approach to improve this. Everyone will have some contact at times but someone doing it all the time can easily do things to change that statistic.

Some also always moan about those that moan.   ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal