Xtreme Gaming Network

Equipment calibration - Do it more often!

Author Topic: Equipment calibration - Do it more often!  (Read 6963 times)

Rolz

Equipment calibration - Do it more often!
« on: April 09, 2016, 10:29:05 AM »
Dear all - I'm only posting this as I had this happen to me.

If you don't already, I would look to calibrate your kit more often!!

I first suspected something wasn't right when I was racing the GT86 at Barbagallo... besides being a bloody menace ;)

I was hitting Kon's corner nicely and looking to pass people down Supercharge Straight... I so had a good exit speed, but up the hill I just lost pace against my fellow racers and they just started to accelerate away from me... what the hell??

So this morning I had a go at the lut generator and wanted to give Spa in the Audi a go... this was when I saw that my throttle was going the strange fluttering effect at the high revs down the straight...

I recalled it was doing it when I was trying that combo out right after AC1.5 was released, but didn't think anything of it as I smashed my PB by ~2secs.

"Phfft... nothing's wrong... I just smashed my PB!"

Anyway this morning I checked what my accelerator was doing in game under settings and it was fluttering between 96-97% full press!! What the hell??

Ran Pedal calibration out of game, ran calibration in AC and tried Spa again in the Audi... throttle looked and felt awesome down the main straight... even was getting up to the pinging top 6th gear just before I had to break at the end of Kemmel straight... this feels good...

Smashed my PB again by over a second... stoked... but know there is more there... ;D

tl;dr - calibrate or at least confirm you are getting full break/accelerator range often.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Equipment calibration - Do it more often!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 11:24:20 AM »
Good advice!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 12:55:28 PM »
Yeah Wally! ::)

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 01:50:57 PM »
I still blame Windows.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 03:42:30 PM »
This has got most people at some point recently, Guybrush had constant issues with his throttle, then end of last season I started getting it too. Mine was actually clutch spiking so the same effect as a slipping clutch losing power. Wally seemed to also have major pedal issues last week and it can get very frustrating when it happens. Especially when its not always happening but just random spikes like I was getting, you may think you just got a crap exit but then it keeps happening and losing 5% at the top end is quite a killer in this strong field.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 05:12:02 PM »
My throttle is permanently calibrated to 87% as I suffer 'very occasional' feathering at the top end of travel.
I'd rather (effectively) have a more sensitive pedal than lose power. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 05:20:29 PM »
I had both clutch spikes and throttle problems in the past.  Very annoying.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 10:10:12 AM »
It is definitely a good practice,I had brakes problems lately (after i had replaced the load cell) the brake would not reach the max so i thought to calibrate and the results were great.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 10:42:41 AM »
Best thing I ever did was swap the throttle and clutch pots (actually i just swapped the entire pedal assembly) when I had a spiking throttle.

I'm just dreading the day when my "new" throttle starts spiking.

Also, I put in a deadzone of 90% and found the difference in sensitivity to be quite remarkable in the higher powered cars.  I found I had much less control.

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 01:45:05 PM »
Spraying with Electronic Circuitboard Cleaner works for a while but every 6 months or so I pull them apart and clean the crap out of them with cottonbuds and ECC. Usually lasts for a few months.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 02:06:56 PM »
A pencil eraser is good for cleaning as it's carbon that builds up. ;)

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal