Xtreme Gaming Network

Killed my brake pot?

Author Topic: Killed my brake pot?  (Read 4676 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Killed my brake pot?
« on: May 01, 2016, 12:16:17 PM »
So I just cleaned my brake pot with electrical contact cleaner and lube spray from Jaycar, and now the pot doesn't work at all. No signal comes from it. What the hell? I was very gentle with it - no broken wires or anything like that.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Rolz

Re: Killed my brake pot?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 01:28:15 PM »
Maybe the lube spray did something? If it's silicon or somerthing maybe could cause issues?
I just drown mine in circuit board cleaner.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 03:08:39 PM »
Maybe the lube spray did something? If it's silicon or somerthing maybe could cause issues?
I just drown mine in circuit board cleaner.
I swapped the clutch and brake pots, and lo and behold, now the brake still didn't work but the clutch did, so the pot was ok all along. I then re-soldered the brake pot and it now seems to be working again. I always said  it didn't really feel like a spiking pot, because it was 99% solid. Maybe a wire was dodgy.  Anyway, it's all working again, with clutch and brake pots swapped. But I still don't know now if I've fixed my original brake problem!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Rolz

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 03:38:50 PM »
Nice troubleshooting Wally

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal