Xtreme Gaming Network

S8R6: Spa Post Race

Author Topic: S8R6: Spa Post Race  (Read 22768 times)

Offline grat

• View Profile
Re: S8R6: Spa Post Race
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 05:13:50 PM »
Race
What to say? The short version race report is: I crashed. Immediately. Badly.

With simulator's magic on, though, that's not all, and I thankfully do not have to report from Liege Hospital.

I could not get any heat in my medium tyres. So, after seeing I was apparently almost competitive on softs (qualified 2nd) I decided to try a 2-stop strategy and aim for something like a 6th place. Start was really good and exited La Source very fast. I did not want to risk it, so I lifted for Eau Rouge,* but---with replay's insight---with visibility hindered by GB close ahead, I probably missed my usual line and hit the left curb not straight enough. The car started to get loose. I could keep it straight for a bit, but in the end there was nothing to do for my limited skills. Concrete to the left; bouncing middle of the track; back left to avoid a carnage; concrete again. I guess it is mostly lack of experience with first-lap nuisances, as GB said.

I restarted from pits some 35 seconds behind the pack and tried to keep a good pace to catch up with the back of it before my first stop. Things worked out pretty well until I again revealed my inexperience by being too aggressive behind Simone and causing us to spin at the last chicane. Scusa!!! Anyway: we both lost quite crucial 10 seconds with that. But in the end it only costed me 1 position, I think.

Season
This was my first ever sim-racing season, so I guess I would like to add a few words. First of all: thank you all. It was a lot of fun, an amazing experience, and it looks like you changed my home's dining schedule to Australian mode for most Tuesdays to come. In particular: thanks a lot to Wally for the impeccable organizations; to GB and Marty or the many advices and coping up with my stupid setup questions; to Rolz and Joe for the kind words of encouragements; and to Matthew, Stan Daam, and Wally for the many duels.

I really feel I learned a lot about driving and racing (and a bit about how these things called cars actually work). This was my main objective in getting into simracing, so I am very happy with it. I have also learned that I am not as crap as I feared. My 5th position in the ranking is definitely inflated by the many of you who had to miss several races, but I had those pair of days when I felt I could keep up with the fastest ones and I have even managed to get two podium finishes. It most likely sounds silly to most of you, but it has been both a huge pleasure and a great satisfaction for me.

Most of all, it was quite fun to get to know you guys a little bit, and I really appreciated you never made me feel like the new stupid guy (despite all evidence indicates I am the new stupid guy). I guess there remains just three things to be done: taming the FR3.5, trying to win a race, and figure out how to understand what you all say over teamspeak!

*Bacchulum: I know, but names of corners that are now not what they once were are what they are: stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus. Furthermore, as there are 3 corners and 2 names, I suppose we have to be a little flexible :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 05:21:27 PM by grat »

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 06:15:34 PM »
I am very jealous of your written english....perfect!!!  A bad race is a bad race,but maybe you are right those medium tyres betrayed us.probably the damp track did not help either,but anyway .....good to meet you Signor Grat,and welcomed at XGN!!!

Btw: Your english is perfect but it cant be better than bird one,  Heeeeeeeeeeees the king !!!
CMON bird do the renault!!!    we`ve  been missing YA!!  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 07:13:23 PM »
Well done grat. You're a great addition to the league!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 09:10:54 PM »
I am very jealous of your written english....perfect!!!  A bad race is a bad race,but maybe you are right those medium tyres betrayed us.probably the damp track did not help either,but anyway .....good to meet you Signor Grat,and welcomed at XGN!!!

Btw: Your english is perfect but it cant be better than bird one,  Heeeeeeeeeeees the king !!!
CMON bird do the renault!!!    we`ve  been missing YA!!  :-* :-* :-* :-*
I think I have made at least 3 mistakes, revealing my foreign nature :)

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 09:11:53 PM »
Thank you. And the league is a great addiction for me. :)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 11:35:12 PM »

So how many hours have you put into Assetto Grat? You started around the same time as me, and are much quicker, so to make myself feel better I'm hoping a lot more hours!  ;)

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 12:20:03 AM »

So how many hours have you put into Assetto Grat? You started around the same time as me, and are much quicker, so to make myself feel better I'm hoping a lot more hours!  ;)

Steam says 850 hours. I am pretty sure you can feel quite good ;)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 07:37:31 AM »

Steam says 850 hours. I am pretty sure you can feel quite good ;)

Wtf! And I thought my 310 hours in 6 months was quite a lot.  :o

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 08:14:44 AM »
850???!!!!   

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 08:25:35 AM »
changed my home's dining schedule to Australian mode for most Tuesdays
Me curious!! You would normally have dinner later?  :D

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 08:27:31 AM »
So it says. Although I think it counts every second AC launcher was open, whether I was actually driving or not. So perhaps you have to cut the figure somewhat (but I wouldn't be able to say by how much).

I told you it was an addiction ;)

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2015, 08:31:12 AM »
Yes, Stan. We normally start eating sometime between 8 and 9. (Interestingly, we never chose this. I guess that, as I am usually the one who cooks, we took the Italian "schedule" as given.)

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2015, 09:33:26 AM »
Yes, Stan. We normally start eating sometime between 8 and 9. (Interestingly, we never chose this. I guess that, as I am usually the one who cooks, we took the Italian "schedule" as given.)
I like the Italian way. We just had my folks stay with us for a week and they eat so early (6-ish). We normally graze much later (8 or 9 is fine unless it's a race night) :)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 09:50:41 AM »
I like the Italian way. We just had my folks stay with us for a week and they eat so early (6-ish). We normally graze much later (8 or 9 is fine unless it's a race night) :)

Gets earlier if you have kids mate. The sooner you feed them the sooner you can get them to bed, tidy up all the chaos they caused that day and load up AC!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2015, 10:31:20 AM »
I think I have 1000+ hours, and I only play AC Tuesday,  Thursday and Sunday morning.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal