Xtreme Gaming Network

New server - AUS-www.xgn.com.au-THU-NIGHTS

Author Topic: New server - AUS-www.xgn.com.au-THU-NIGHTS  (Read 53544 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: New server - AUS-www.xgn.com.au-THU-NIGHTS
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 08:48:57 PM »
we're testing the server currently - try to catch it during booking, there's a good 10-12 ppl on every time.
You can also come on TS - easier to find out when to join :)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 08:51:17 PM »
we're testing the server currently - try to catch it during booking, there's a good 10-12 ppl on every time.
You can also come on TS - easier to find out when to join :)

Will do when I can figure out all this new technology.  I'm new to it all but I'll try to stay out of everyone's way!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 11:49:19 PM »
Regarding the server Id be glad to pitch in a little for the costs and would also like a basic noob quide to what is needed to setup and run a free server if I wanted to set one up too. To give access to one on days where wally isnt around and theres a few guys around wanting to race somewhere.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 12:23:39 AM »
The costs are only a few bucks a month, so thanks, but no need to worry about it. When I'm bored one day, I'll write up how you can set up a free server using Amazon Web Services (which Bird put me onto) - like our Fun and Practice servers.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »
In a nutshell:
you sign up to Amazon, you get a year free of a micro instance
go to amazon ec2 (elastic computing cloud) control panel
start a micro instance windows server (your choice just make sure it's eligible for the free tier)
copy the server files up, start it
allow traffic(!) for the server and switch off the windows firewall(!!)

voila.

ps there are pretty good manuals on Amazon, and with he help of a few google searches it's all solvable.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 09:07:18 AM by Bird »

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 09:10:03 AM »
Regarding the server Id be glad to pitch in a little for the costs and would also like a basic noob quide to what is needed to setup and run a free server if I wanted to set one up too. To give access to one on days where wally isnt around and theres a few guys around wanting to race somewhere.

'Somewhere' you mean Nords right?  :D

Wouldn't mind seeing a server with Nords with a few different cars to choose from. 3-4 of each car.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 09:21:30 AM »

'Somewhere' you mean Nords right?  :D

Wouldn't mind seeing a server with Nords with a few different cars to choose from. 3-4 of each car.

That would be a fun practice server I think.

I was thinking more like the last few nites a few have been a few of us on wanting to race something different. Had to stick to whats already set and we raced already or go to other public servers but hard to find one booking with a nice combo and low ping.

Having acces to a server just makes it easy to setup anything and id probably leave it on allnother times for some nords running.  ;)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 10:16:30 AM »
I think if you guys ask us nicely we might be able to help you out with the initial setup - either Wally or me.
But you need to register for an amazon acc first. 
And get familiar with RDP if you haven't used it (remote desktop) and maybe read up on server setups (you can practice running a server locally)

In fact you could run an ad-hoc server on those nights locally, if you have a decent 'net connection.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 10:18:31 AM »
Yeah, it's hard to find servers running the Abarth 500 at Old Monza for some excitement ;)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:17:43 AM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 10:23:03 AM »
Yeah, it's hard to find servers running the Abarth 500 at Old Monza for some excitement.

Mainly cause we would fall asleep down the start finish straight!. Nah would be fun to race them anywhere. need that drafting though first i'd say.

Old Monza is all about the Cobras atm.. I think there are a few of us from here on RSR

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 11:37:04 AM »
Yeah, it's hard to find servers running the Abarth 500 at Old Monza for some excitement ;)

Actually that server was quite easy to find, not sure if it was with you there but I did end up on that server with someone maybe was just me and phil. There was also one 458 s3 to spice it up lol.

Offline insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 09:39:22 PM »
Does the windows AC server work OK on a t1.micro free instance? I tried setting one up but yeh, ping was around 200 compared to the normal 20-40, am I doing something wrong? With freejoin I kept getting cpu errors.

I've got a powerful linux VPS but the linux server uses too much CPU, with freejoin it's even worse and makes the server crash after a random amount of time.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 10:01:55 PM »
Does the windows AC server work OK on a t1.micro free instance? I tried setting one up but yeh, ping was around 200 compared to the normal 20-40, am I doing something wrong? With freejoin I kept getting cpu errors.

I've got a powerful linux VPS but the linux server uses too much CPU, with freejoin it's even worse and makes the server crash after a random amount of time.
Our Practice and Fun servers are on t1.micro instances, and we've had about 16 racers on them without any dramas. The Race server is a c3.large (more CPU, more network). But the t1.micro (Windows) was generally pretty good, with low pings. Is your instance based in Sydney?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 10:58:12 PM »
Wow right, that's pretty good then, the FUN server kept up well last night..

Yeah ap-southeast... Syd server on aws running 2012 R2 server.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 07:55:50 AM »
Wow right, that's pretty good then, the FUN server kept up well last night..

Yeah ap-southeast... Syd server on aws running 2012 R2 server.

If it makes any difference, I'm running Windows 2008 R2. Maybe 2012 needs more grunt?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal