Xtreme Gaming Network

Steam offline while under attack...

Author Topic: Steam offline while under attack...  (Read 8010 times)

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« on: December 26, 2015, 09:55:15 AM »
http://www.neowin.net/news/steam-down-on-christmas-day-amid-fears-of-ddos-attack

It doenst seem cool considering my paypal is linked to my bank account. I think when it is back up I will change some settings.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Re: Steam offline while under attack...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 11:05:34 AM »
I had an issue with PayPal which made me change over to a debit card linked to an account with only a small amount in it. However, a friend now uses a "load and go" card because that can be totally anonymous when making internet purchases.

Rolz

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 01:35:38 PM »
Interesting news!
Yeah only have credit card linked on PayPal... plus my limit on card is quite small.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 01:52:27 PM »
I only ever use a debit card online, for anything. Transfer money to debit card & purchase.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 03:46:11 PM »
http://www.neowin.net/news/steam-down-on-christmas-day-amid-fears-of-ddos-attack

It doenst seem cool considering my paypal is linked to my bank account. I think when it is back up I will change some settings.
Why would you worry about you paypal account linked to your bank?  This is steam, not ebay nor paypal - those are one business, although still different systems. 

Edit: it seems there was no attack.  They have foobared it up themselves.
http://kotaku.com/steam-goes-nuts-offers-access-to-other-peoples-account-1749718979
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 03:52:44 PM by Bird »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 05:31:57 PM »
I think PayPal is now a separate business to eBay and has registered as some sort of bank in Australia. That created the issue I had with them. They blocked my account because they suddenly wanted to do the equivalent of 100 point identity check on me - over the Internet - and that wasn't going to happen! They sent me an email asking me to send in identity information like bank statements etc. I couldn't even remove my personal information like credit card because of the block.

I eventually got around it with them over the phone but it has left a bad impression. It gave me a taste of how helpless you would be when dealing with an organisation like PayPal that has no physical store front. I was a step away from calling the ACCC when the supervisor who I had escalated to offered a reasonable solution to the problem.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 05:33:37 PM by Gratulin »

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 11:01:22 AM »
Thankyou for posting this Andrew, certainly highlights difficulties that may arise for others here. Pleased that there was a solution other that the unrealistic options they attempted initially.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 03:27:05 PM »
Regarding paypal I never had to jump through any hoops like that. I simply just had to give my account number to my bank where they made a small deposit of a few cents. Then to verify it I just needed to confirm the amount they deposited, this was also ages ago so no idea what the method is now.

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »
Regarding paypal I never had to jump through any hoops like that. I simply just had to give my account number to my bank where they made a small deposit of a few cents. Then to verify it I just needed to confirm the amount they deposited, this was also ages ago so no idea what the method is now.

Same here,  I'm just going to change it to an account that doesn't have a lot in it.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 05:38:26 PM »
Yeah. This seems like something new. It just happened out of the blue a couple of months ago. I've had PayPal for ages and just did the same as you guys have mentioned.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 08:09:22 AM »
6 months or more ago I reported a suspect website which I had inadvertently entered my PayPal details into. PayPal cancelled my account and I had to send off copies of ID to reactivate.

PayPal has always been the safest form of payment for me.  Even cancelling and refunding payments which banks wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.  My bank wouldn't even cancel gym payments that I had the cancellation paperwork for!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal