Xtreme Gaming Network

S25R4: Los Angeles Times/Ford Grand Prix at Riverside Long

Author Topic: S25R4: Los Angeles Times/Ford Grand Prix at Riverside Long  (Read 32920 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: S25R4: Los Angeles Times/Ford Grand Prix at Riverside Long
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2018, 08:37:45 AM »
Similar to Wally, I've smacked the banked corner relatively early on while going around a merc (that overtook me on the straight).  Same early pit & very long 2nd stint was necessary.   Still, I was able to pull a few 31's in the race, and even had some nice battles in the end. 

The one advantage with the shorty is that blue flags are easy to serve, you just don't do anything on one of the straights  ;)

I had a moment when I caught up to a merc just after T1 (t2? the right hander) on the esses with such a huge speed difference that the only sane option was to go around it.  Since that was the same place I've attempted the overtake in the quali (and failed miserably) it was a hairy moment.   Although my extra speed meant I was past in a blink of an eye, so it was clean and quick, thankfully.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 08:40:36 AM by Bird »

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2018, 09:36:57 AM »
I had a moment when I caught up to a merc just after T1 (t2? the right hander) on the esses with such a huge speed difference that the only sane option was to go around it.  Since that was the same place I've attempted the overtake in the quali (and failed miserably) it was a hairy moment.   Although my extra speed meant I was past in a blink of an eye, so it was clean and quick, thankfully.

I thought that was pretty neat, my bobble, your approach speed and the only place to overtake in the esses, all conspired to happen at the same time. ;)
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2018, 10:13:03 AM »
Another wasted race for me.

Three spins coming off slow corners early and I lost a lot of time. I got stuck behind people and couldn't manufacture a pass because I was faster through the twisty stuff and not fast enough off the slow corners to stay with them on the straights. It was a bit frustrating but if I hadn't made mistakes I wouldn't have been in that position.

Good racing though.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2018, 11:58:47 AM »
Best race of the season so far.
Completed the race with full power. :-X

2+2=√16

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2018, 12:21:25 PM »

I thought that was pretty neat, my bobble, your approach speed and the only place to overtake in the esses, all conspired to happen at the same time. ;)
Well, thanks for that :)  Yeah that's exactly how I planned it!  :D  8)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2018, 02:20:57 PM »
Best race of the season for me with just a couple of small mistakes. A lot of the race was on and off batting with Freezer which was good fun. Mediums were a bad choice and were going off after 15 mins leading to my first off track adventure, so I changed to hards for the rest of the race which was a better choice.

Was no real way to do much against the long trails or C9s here; they were so much faster on the straight then when you catch them in the windy bits there is no safe place to pass, especially in the Mazda which is pretty twitchy in the slow corners itself.

Offline bradc

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2018, 03:39:26 PM »
Not the best night for me, got cleaned up twice in quali and struggled to actually get a time set. Sadly when I did it wasn't the cleanest lap and so 10th was the best i could do. I'm not sure how many people use their lights but in quali but perhaps if people have them on when they're actually going for a time (& off when they are not), then it's a lot easier for cars on an out or in lap to know this and get out of the way. Thanks bird for putting your hand up for cleaning my up in the esses but I still can't understand why you felt the need to make that pass on your out lap.... I know I have the live timing screen up (can't remember it's A/C name) all the time and looking at that it's easy to tell when I'm on a slow lap how far behind or ahead the next car is and thus, make allowances for it.

Starting the race from 10th, I was mindful of trying to get off the line cleanly and I knew there would little passing until half way round the lap and it looked like a really clean start. I was in a gaggle of 5 or 6 cars and it was great settling into a rhythm until RussG had a spin at turn 3. Sadly I zigged when I should have zagged and tagged his stricken vehicle as it sat in the middle of the track damaging my front body work. I spent the next lap seeing how bad things were and decided after 2 laps that I was losing too much time down the back straight, plus Phil was catching me rather quickly, so I let phil by and pitted for repairs. The stop wasn't too bad and I was able to split the race into 3x 20min sections and on the medium rubber the car wasn't too bad but tyre wear was an issue last in the stint. My pace was in the 1m33's so I didn't really set the world on fire, but didn't feel like I was going backwards either. I had a had some good battles with doobs during the race but got stuffed up my race when I made nose to tail contact with seanus at the corner coming onto the back straight. 100% my fault, I simply miss judged the C9's far slower corner speed and was unable to avoid the contact. It felt like I hit seanus very late in the corner as I was expecting the C9 to take off down the straight earlier, however I was too hot too soon into the corner, sorry mate.....I waited for him to rejoin and then pitted a lap later to come out 9 seconds behind Bacchulum. Over the next 18mins I chased him down and it was great fun. Eventually I fell three 10ths of a second short but it was a lot of fun managing fuel and trying to catch at the same time. In the end I finished with 1 lap of fuel left in the car, but kudos to him, it was a lot of fun.

Whilst I'm not a fan of this particular track, it does make these cars are extremely challenging but it's was great to be on a track where you needed to use your strengths to your advantages, but also know where others were strong and defend like buggery....

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »
... especially in the Mazda which is pretty twitchy in the slow corners itself.
I've decided on that basis that the Mazda is too hard for me, and I'll be swapping to the wimpy Short Tail. I don't have the fine throttle control to get the power down smoothly.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2018, 03:49:43 PM »
I've decided on that basis that the Mazda is too hard for me, and I'll be swapping to the wimpy Short Tail. I don't have the fine throttle control to get the power down smoothly.
Wimpy . . . !  I'm so offended.  :)

and I suppose you will be removing all restrictions now :) :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2018, 04:14:04 PM »

Yep, just for me  8)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline bradc

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2018, 04:22:34 PM »

should be double restrictions for those jumping ship  :P

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2018, 05:15:42 PM »
but I still can't understand why you felt the need to make that pass on your out lap....

Aaaaah, you thought it was my outlap?  No, you've overtaken me on the straight is all.  I was on a hotlap, too. :)

On my outlap I even leave the track to avoid endangering others coming up on me, I'd never try this shit, trust me.

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2018, 08:42:54 AM »

Yep, just for me  8)

Fair enough...I'd do the same if I could  ;)
My qualy was pretty good. I managed to do a lap just a tenth off my PB. So my PB would have got me on P 15...really excited.
The race was uneventful...pretty much me hotlapping by myself. I think I haven't done a single overtaking in this whole series so far.
In the end consistency got me coming in 10th. I still enjoyed the race. I really love this track and the Mazda the way I've set it up felt great too.

Yeah, I'm a bit on the verge of changing over to the shorty too. Jumped into my rig last night and beat my Riverside Mazda PB by 3/10 on mediums with a bit more fuel compensating for the 10kg ballast. My Mazda PB was done on soft's. I've done a lot more laps in the Mazda so the difference between these cars will be more than that for me.
However, then you've got the bloody slow pitting...not sure what to do.
These 10kg on the shorty don't really matter anyway...could be easily dropped as well and I doubt it would change the outcome of this series.
Guess I'll give the Merc another go and see if I can do something on my driving style and the setup in order to keep this bloody thing on the track.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2018, 07:04:36 PM »
The worst race of the season, mostly due to my own poor driving  :-[

A surprising 3rd position on the grid was followed by misery after misery with me being unable to handle the longtail's propensity to understeer. On lap 8 I went from 4th just ahead of Jeremy to being lapped by Jeremy  :'(

Then an unplanned divebomb at the last corner almost ended up in tears with light contact with Bird, tried give the position back back suspect another driver took advantage of the situation. Sorry mate.

But another wall jumped in front of me to destroy a second set of front suspension, this time to make matter worse the pit mechanics were caught asleep. So I had to first park for fuel, then reveres and do a second set of refueling while the lazy #%$#%$ repaired the damage. Surprisingly after this I wern't last!   (LOL RUSS)

so chuck a block full of fuel I spend the last few laps trying to catch a few of the other fellow tortoises  ;D Wally with his reliance on " Natural Talent and skill" was one of the unfortunates caught  ;D 

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2018, 07:23:17 PM »
LOL Mael, that was my worst race of the season too. I think I cursed myself.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal