Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 1: Silverstone Race Chat

Author Topic: Round 1: Silverstone Race Chat  (Read 82816 times)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
Re: Round 1: Silverstone Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 08:33:53 AM »
Now that the server can enforce the damage setting, damage will be ON. All this means at this stage is that you can blow your engine. You won't get damage from hitting walls etc.

I've also enabled dynamic grip. This means that at the start of practice, the track will have 90% grip and grip up as more laps are put down. Then qually will keep half the grip gained in practice, I.e. start from 95% and grip up. So there will be more grip at the end of the qually session. Then race will start from 97.5% grip.

I dunno Wally, Last night I was very, very distracted with the damage. Trying to see what happens. All it did was show up on the tell-tail app. Felt no difference in performance or handling.
Not once did I blow an engine and I was trying. I was trying to destroy every car I got into.
I think the damage model is not working enough to be included. Maybe cause I don't use the H-shifter I will never blow an engine? but saying that. I have blown up pagani's before with the damage model on.
So people not using H-shifters might have an unfair advantage..... just sayin'

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 08:35:15 AM »
You may want to test those settings out first Wally, I tested my server out last night with just 97% grip and it was like driving in the wet. Random was also on and I didnt check the actual grip level on track but even by the end of the race it was still quite slippery.

I remember devs talking about surface grip levels a while back, they said 90% would be like a damp track and 90% of the default which is 97 to 98 for default tracks is a bit too low I think.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 08:43:59 AM »
Now that the server can enforce the damage setting, damage will be ON. All this means at this stage is that you can blow your engine. You won't get damage from hitting walls etc.

I've also enabled dynamic grip. This means that at the start of practice, the track will have 90% grip and grip up as more laps are put down. Then qually will keep half the grip gained in practice, I.e. start from 95% and grip up. So there will be more grip at the end of the qually session. Then race will start from 97.5% grip.

I dunno Wally, Last night I was very, very distracted with the damage. Trying to see what happens. All it did was show up on the tell-tail app. Felt no difference in performance or handling.
Not once did I blow an engine and I was trying. I was trying to destroy every car I got into.
I think the damage model is not working enough to be included. Maybe cause I don't use the H-shifter I will never blow an engine? but saying that. I have blown up pagani's before with the damage model on.
So people not using H-shifters might have an unfair advantage..... just sayin'

If you want to blow an engine just downshift very fast and early, it will blow your engine in any car with damage on. Wont be a huge effect on the f abarths but I think forcing damage on is a good thing. Still odd the server cant set ambient temps yet so there should be an advised temp setting all should use to keep it fair.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 08:55:31 AM »
If you want to blow an engine just downshift very fast and early, it will blow your engine in any car with damage on. Wont be a huge effect on the f abarths but I think forcing damage on is a good thing. Still odd the server cant set ambient temps yet so there should be an advised temp setting all should use to keep it fair.

I've tried many times to downshift as fast as I can. from 200kmh+ to reverse! or just neutral, foot always hard on the go pedal.  bmw and lotus. The engine goes red but never dies...
maybe I need my local settings to have damage on? hmm

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
Now that the server can enforce the damage setting, damage will be ON. All this means at this stage is that you can blow your engine.
Oh dear, poor Dion...:D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 09:23:40 AM »
I dont know if every car can blow an engine but I blew quite a few with the shifter going into 2nd i stead of 4th or 3rd instead of 5th on the way up. I have also blown a couple with paddles but these have been deliberate or complete loss of concentration as its hard to do such bad shifts.

I will try later today some tests with user setting on or off whioe forcing it on the server to see if there is any difference. Possibly auto clutch may save some engines on downshift too so maybe try with it on and off to see if it makes a difference.

But with these cars damage really isnt an issue its more with the turbo cars and others where you can run the engine at higher settings. Still in the e30 grp A car I ran damage all season and with the engine limiter at 103% it didnt have any effect on the engine. Running the 98T or 1m s3 with h8gh boost levels will kill an engine very quickly. Its only for the 1m race that I turned off damage as it was a huge disadvantage not being abke to run full boost that those with damage off could.

Offline insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 09:54:19 AM »
Blown engines, wowza! I was doing a few laps and car damage was being displayed? Not sure if it affects wing downforce though...

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 10:21:51 AM »
Blown engines, wowza! I was doing a few laps and car damage was being displayed? Not sure if it affects wing downforce though...

Only engine damage is modelled at this point so no aero or steering damage has been implemented yet. There was an update a while ago where they accidently left physical damage turned on but then patched it away quickly as it must not have been ready yet.

Rolz

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »
Engine damage is good, but I found the body damage colour distracting if it does nothing on the drivability...
I would also find it a space hog for those with only 1 monitor?

I made a point of not ringing the nuts out of my car last night and made it safely around 5 laps on 90% boost... though the engine was red by the time I finished...

On practice though I dropped from 4-2 and it would blow every time  ::)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 10:57:55 AM »
I've blown engines with h shifter and paddles. Just downshift fast. It will make you treat your gearbox more kindly. Realism is good.

I've tested the grip a lot already. Make sure random is 0, Marty.  If you start at 97, but random is 20, you may start as low as 77. At 90% grip, the track is still very drivable. By race time, tthe track will rapidly be at 100% grip.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 11:10:06 AM »

I like it  ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 12:13:13 PM »
I've blown engines with h shifter and paddles. Just downshift fast. It will make you treat your gearbox more kindly. Realism is good.

I've tested the grip a lot already. Make sure random is 0, Marty.  If you start at 97, but random is 20, you may start as low as 77. At 90% grip, the track is still very drivable. By race time, tthe track will rapidly be at 100% grip.

Thats probably what was going on I am home today so will play around with it and make sure I set random at zero, maybe at 1 would be ok but 20 is just way too much if thats how it works.

What setting are you using for lap gain? and do you have any idea what the number means there?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:16:39 PM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 12:56:19 PM »
After that many laps of traffic (e.g. 1 car for 20 laps or 20 cars for 1 lap), the grip goes up by one percentage point. I think I've set it to 24. We used it in the fun races last night.

There is an in-game app "car physics" that shows you the dynamic grip E. G.  0.970
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 02:48:58 PM »
Maybe you can't blow the Tatuus engine.
I remember the devs saying "in cars that can be over reved on downshifts".
I believe the Tatuus has 'flappy-paddle' as I always have my H-pattern hooked up but it doesn't work in the Tatuus (and flappy-paddle doesn't work in H-pattern cars either).
Therefore, it's a hydraulic/electric shift system that probably doesn't allow over revs.

But I haven't tried yet. :P

2+2=√16

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 03:29:52 PM »
tragically, I blew up a reliant earlier on Marty's server by downshifting. funny thing was it was no difference with a motor or not performance wise. 65kmh is on the edge cornering.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal