Xtreme Gaming Network

Krahl's Dedi Server is up

Author Topic: Krahl's Dedi Server is up  (Read 36908 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Krahl's Dedi Server is up
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 11:35:19 AM »
To add to Gratulin's informative & helpful post, if you feel your modem isn't up to scratch you can try something new...

I'm using this thing: TP-LINK TD-W8960N  it's a modem/router, costs $50 (!!)
I'm also bridging it to an R7000 router.  Having said that, the little cheap tp-link is fantastic if you don't need very fast wifi.

Or if you need voip, too:  TP-LINK VG3631 - same sort of deal, $80, and works very well. I've bought one of these for my company office to replace an aging billion modem, and it's both faster & more reliable.

Both have QoS settings. (rather complicated, too - I haven't had to try it yet, but I will just for the fun of it, hehe)
I've found a helpful W8960N QoS setup manual, too :)

Edit: you know what, don't go for this if you need proper QoS.  I've just reviewed these settings, and the information is patchy, the language is alien, the setup is helluva confusing.   You need a diploma in networking to start to understand parts of it I'd guess. :(
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:11:40 PM by Bird »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 12:25:53 PM »

I've configured Krahl's dedicated server, which he has kindly given me access to for experimenting, to be in a Lotus @ Nurb Sprint configuration - 15 cars only. It's a pickup server, called AUS www.xgn.com.au TUE DEDI.

I want to see if we get the same warping that we see on the regular server. So when you can, jump on that server, hopefully with a few guys, and see what the warping is like, and how it compares with Tuesday nights. It would be good if we can get Grubbet, EdWood and anyone else who often seems to warp quite a bit.
Wally, could we have some fun with the LaFerrari on the trial server?

If I  can't make it, Krahl can put whatever cars he wants on it.  I think slower cars might be better, so you can drive around closer to each other and observe. Like the Alfa.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 01:09:49 PM »
To add to Gratulin's informative & helpful post, if you feel your modem isn't up to scratch you can try something new...

I'm using this thing: TP-LINK TD-W8960N  it's a modem/router, costs $50 (!!)
I'm also bridging it to an R7000 router.  Having said that, the little cheap tp-link is fantastic if you don't need very fast wifi.

Or if you need voip, too:  TP-LINK VG3631 - same sort of deal, $80, and works very well. I've bought one of these for my company office to replace an aging billion modem, and it's both faster & more reliable.

Both have QoS settings. (rather complicated, too - I haven't had to try it yet, but I will just for the fun of it, hehe)
I've found a helpful W8960N QoS setup manual, too :)
First thing would be to simply turn it on if not already on. Most router have a default categorisation of traffic. Problem will be that it mostly sets video and audio streaming to high priority which is the opposite to what you want.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »
First thing would be to simply turn it on if not already on. Most router have a default categorisation of traffic. Problem will be that it mostly sets video and audio streaming to high priority which is the opposite to what you want.

Nah, TP-link isn't one of those.
I've compared the R7000 configs and those are understandable to me, with my basic networking knowledge, and have those (useless) defaults in.  The tp-link is a jumble of technical terms, no explanation, no help.   Good luck to anyone trying to set it up.   Oh and all the documentation I've found was actually for an older firmware, the new one has a bunch of extra (undocumented & confusing) options.  Just great.

So yeah, the modem works well, but you don't want to get into the QoS part :D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 01:40:49 PM »

I've configured Krahl's dedicated server, which he has kindly given me access to for experimenting, to be in a Lotus @ Nurb Sprint configuration - 15 cars only. It's a pickup server, called AUS www.xgn.com.au TUE DEDI.

I want to see if we get the same warping that we see on the regular server. So when you can, jump on that server, hopefully with a few guys, and see what the warping is like, and how it compares with Tuesday nights. It would be good if we can get Grubbet, EdWood and anyone else who often seems to warp quite a bit.
Wally, could we have some fun with the LaFerrari on the trial server?

If I  can't make it, Krahl can put whatever cars he wants on it.  I think slower cars might be better, so you can drive around closer to each other and observe. Like the Alfa.

I think your better off putting faster cars on the server to test lag. Driving Alfa and Abarth its much easier to race close with 350 ping guys but in a very fast car its much trickier due to speed and distance covered between each car update from the server. Also the faster cars are more twitchy so its going to do more sudden turns then in a slow heavy street car.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 01:49:38 PM »
For the guys who have their wifi stolen by other inconsiderate internet users in their household, would it be worth trying Power over Ethernet?
Would the fact that signal is transmitted over cable rather than wifi reduce the inconsistencies in packet loss?

I got this and my internet has been rock-solid 99% of the time compared to constant fluctuations and drop-outs using wifi.  And it only cost me about $50.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 02:13:56 PM »
I just had a look at the server and if you want to stress test it probably best to have 24 cars available rather then 15 I think.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 03:05:02 PM »
I just had a look at the server and if you want to stress test it probably best to have 24 cars available rather then 15 I think.

that's the limit bro. pay-per-slot apparently bro.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 03:20:44 PM »
Yes, pay per slot, for 15 slots. Agree about the faster cars. Even if I can't race,  I'll put up laferrari at spa.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 03:31:20 PM »
Yes, pay per slot, for 15 slots. Agree about the faster cars. Even if I can't race,  I'll put up laferrari at spa.

I'll get some skins ready...

Offline cramjet

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »
For the guys who have their wifi stolen by other inconsiderate internet users in their household, would it be worth trying Power over Ethernet?
Would the fact that signal is transmitted over cable rather than wifi reduce the inconsistencies in packet loss?

I got this and my internet has been rock-solid 99% of the time compared to constant fluctuations and drop-outs using wifi.  And it only cost me about $50.

I have the modem right next to my PC because I refuse to use wireless when gaming! My partner is on wireless though. I'll play around with the modem settings this evening after work - its a cheapo Huawei that came with my TPG plan.  I'm not opposed to getting a better modem as the wifi across the house is crap too. I might even just get the power/ethernet adapters for the Netflix PS3 since the wifi is crappy over that distance.

Offline EdWood

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 04:46:01 PM »
The current server is very good, in the past couple of races I've been centimetres from the car in front and had no issue with warping. It's only when my house mate will start browsing the net i might get a spike which might be once every 5 minutes or once every hour. If it gets bad and there are cars close to me i pull over.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 06:06:05 PM »
The current server is very good, in the past couple of races I've been centimetres from the car in front and had no issue with warping. It's only when my house mate will start browsing the net i might get a spike which might be once every 5 minutes or once every hour. If it gets bad and there are cars close to me i pull over.
I think it's been better since some of the recent AC updates. Most cars are solid, and I've spent time centimetres away from the car in front as well. But you still do see the occasional jump several metres backwards and forwards.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 06:20:22 PM »
I've set the server to Spa with LaFerrari and Pagani Zondas (comparable in lap times).
Passworded to stick to local pings.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 09:09:37 PM »
We had about 8 guys on the server, but everyone was warping a little - worse than the Amazon servers. Several people reported network quality fluctuating down to 90 and up again. Then we jumped onto one of Marty's Amazon servers, and it was much more solid.

As Bird said, this is just another virtual server and not truly a dedicated server. At this rate, it looks like netcode not handling fluctuations in client connection quality well, and we're just as well to stick with the server we've got.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal