Xtreme Gaming Network

Web Based Server Manager

Author Topic: Web Based Server Manager  (Read 77627 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Web Based Server Manager
« on: April 24, 2015, 01:41:26 PM »
Was wanting to play around with NodeJS so I created an API for modifying the AC server config files. I've also started a quick web based UI for it using Bootstrap and AngularJS. Also hoping I can start and stop the server/stracker with Node, meaning you could make any changes to the server and reset it straight from your phone. Haven't looked into that part yet. Could even create an embedded browser in AC like RSR does.

Anyone know if something like this already exists? I've been running a server for a few weeks and seems like it would be something useful.

Cheers

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Re: Web Based Server Manager
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 02:49:37 PM »
Very interesting. Stracker is written in Bootstrap I think. It already has a feature to create an Entry.ini from an online session (including GUIDs) so I think what you propose is definitely doable. What stracker  doesn't do is build a reverse grid and things like that.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 03:52:26 PM »
Gents I have never worked with bootstrap.  As far I understand it's some framework-salad of html/css/js handling.  Why is it preferred here?
Wouldn't it be cleaner to work with tools like jquery and do the rest properly in html/css as needed?
Does AC support bootstrap, or it's simply a tool to get there because support for html/js/css is included?

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 08:23:11 AM »
Bootstrap is irrelevant in term of AC, just so happens ptracker also use it. Like you say it's just boiler plate HTML/CSS with some JS components. Chose to use it for this mini project I'm doing as I was more interested in the NodeJS part and didn't want to waste time writing CSS to make a few simple forms. The Bootstrap grid system is pretty good, and can be responsive so you can build something very quickly that will scale down nicely to moblie.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 08:26:41 AM »
Sounds good :)
thanks

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Web Based Server Manager
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 10:09:35 AM »
Joe,

I have question re the stracker feature I mentioned that is a button that generates an entry.ini from the results of a QUAL, practise or race session. How hard would it be to modify that code to generate a reverse grid entry.ini within stracker?

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 05:56:46 PM »
Joe,

I have question re the stracker feature I mentioned that is a button that generates an entry.ini from the results of a QUAL, practise or race session. How hard would it be to modify that code to generate a reverse grid entry.ini within stracker?

Sorry dude was away over the weekend. I can't see the source code for stracker so not sure it could really be done within stracker, but it would be easy to write something that takes an existing race.ini and reverses it.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 10:54:23 PM »
On race night, I have a remote desktop connection open to the server on my laptop. That works fine for me. But to be able to restart or reconfigure the practice server from my phone or tablet would be very handy.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline faz

• mango
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 10:44:03 PM »
www.raceme.io has been around for a while

edit: seems it's in close beta now for new people.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:48:48 PM by faz »
faz

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 10:51:55 PM »
www.raceme.io has been around for a while

edit: seems it's in close beta now for new people.
What are the features of this thing?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline faz

• mango
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 12:31:35 AM »
you can pick max number of players, which cars available (I believe you just pick the type of car, but can't limit how many of each, so you might end up with everyone picking the same car) and after a given time (booking duration you can set – people register via the website), it'll then launch a server based on the selected track and cars picked by users.

you race, after racing, everyone can +1 or -1 everyone else, and this is how the rating is done. Over time, without trolls (it's easy to control who joins, generally), you can get a decent rating system going.

edit: found the old reddit link when it first came out

http://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/2lamru/racemeio_rankings_and_matchmaking_help_test_our/
faz

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 12:24:50 AM »
Sounds interesting faz but different to what I'm working on.

I've just finished the first version of it. I've created a web interface that does everything the server manager app can do as well as start and stop the server and stracker. I've just chucked it up on my server for a test. I was able to change the track and restart the server/stracker from my browser. I just need to add a bit of error handling and test each property is getting updated properly in the ini files and I'll chuck it up on GitHub so anyone else hosting their own server can try it if they want.

Couple of screenshots of it running on my mobile:

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:32:35 AM by Joe »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 07:37:16 AM »
Looks good Joe.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 09:37:10 AM »
Looks good Joe.

Wally, do I remember you saying one time your parse the logs acServer creates for something? At the moment I launch it where it outputs to the console so I can read once it's started and update the status. Seems when you tell it to output to a file it doesn't write to the console.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 11:06:56 AM »
Great work Joe, that will make life so much easier... the pics on your post aren't displaying.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal