Xtreme Gaming Network

Humpy trivia for Bruce

Author Topic: Humpy trivia for Bruce  (Read 6020 times)

Offline humper

• View Profile
Humpy trivia for Bruce
« on: April 15, 2016, 09:39:36 AM »
Bruce knowing everything there is to know about the Humpy, I'm sure he's probably already across this one but I wasn't so I thought I'd share.

So I was down in Launceston at the National Automobile Museum of Tasmania and they had a tribute to Brock exhibition on.
One of the cars on display was the last Holden Brock ever drove. Yep Phil Munday's "ultimate FX" which was built for Brock to race at Goodwood. Ian Tate created a 2.4 litre engine using Vauxhall crankshaft. Running 11.5:1 compression, wade-style cam and breathing through triple 44mm SU's the engine developed 140kW.

Brock qualified 5th and finished 4th. He was also awarded the "Spirit of Goodwood" trophy. All just a week before his death.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
Re: Humpy trivia for Bruce
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 12:45:43 PM »
Thanks for the posting humper... you must have one too with your nickname :)
He certainly drove it well on the first day, the locals were very surprised by the 'tall' car and in an impressive field.  I had oil pressure problems on the second day and it had to sit out... most think Peter would have brought it home higher on the list on the second it it ran.

"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline humper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 12:35:25 PM »
OK, how about the Harrop Howler FJ?
Just reading an article if FEB unique cars about how Ron Harrop has just purchased his old drag FJ back and is planing to restore it, then take it racing again. 343hp 208 holden 6 in 1972 running high 11s quarters. Apparently hugely successful in the day betting all sorts of exotic cars mostly with reliability according to the modest Ron.   

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 02:51:02 PM »
He was the man top we humpy drivers at the time, Brunswick shop from memory, the howler was seen at a meet a short while ago. 
They brought it along on the trailer to get everyone jealous!

That is a fast car.
Never had the money to do mods other than what could be done in our own workshop/home driveway! 

Edit: I fixed up my phone typo crap response!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:56:56 AM by Bruce »
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline humper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 09:04:37 PM »
Current Group NC Toranas struggle to make that sort of power now! The article said he made his own counter weight crank (before blue motors) and used a 12 port head (where current thinking is that 9 port can flow more). And of course 48mm webers ( <-- ) which everyone seems to agree is required for max power high rev holden 6. Makes me what to buy one :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal