Xtreme Gaming Network

S19R6: Shanghai Race Chat

Author Topic: S19R6: Shanghai Race Chat  (Read 21595 times)

Offline grat

• View Profile
Re: S19R6: Shanghai Race Chat
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2017, 07:53:48 AM »
I am not sure I understand: I thought the 2nd gear speed limit applied only to LMP1s, while the GT3s were supposed to be a bit on a higher gear to make sure they keep up right.

In any case: it looks like Wally and Shameless are talking about slightly different things. One thing is keeping the group decently bunched and getting into position before the last turn. Another is the fact that if there is a tight corner, the rows that are behind that corner at the GOGOGO will have a bit of a disadvantage. 

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
S19R6: Shanghai Race Chat
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2017, 08:06:02 AM »
The point I originally raised was that the problem is that the GT3 Leaders are keeping up with the LMP cars. They should be sticking to their own formation lap pace controlled by the 2nd gear rule and the need to keep the field closely bunched. If the 2nd gear rule is followed by the GT3 cars then the GT3s won't be going basically flat out during the formation lap. I still suggest that a second GOGOGO occurs for GT3s to ensure the GT3s are in proper formation at the start.

One final point. If you watch the restarts after safety cars in the V8s and F1 races the lead car is responsible for controlling the pace and ensuring that that pace allows ALL cars to maintain a minimum gap to the car ahead. NONE of this is being done by our lead cars. They seem to be only concerned with keeping their tires heated and getting a good start for themselves. This responsibility on the leaders still exists even with the 2nd gear rule.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »
To sum up and repeat:

LMP1s will go when the red lights go out, and then go no higher than 2nd gear. Keep as consistent a speed as possible.

GT3s will go 20 seconds later on a call from the GT3 leader (watch the race timer), and then do the same as the LMP1s, going no higher than 2nd gear.

Both groups independently form into grid formation after the 2nd last right hand corner, and both groups get a GO call from their leaders.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2017, 04:32:41 PM »
The point I originally raised was that the problem is that the GT3 Leaders are keeping up with the LMP cars. They should be sticking to their own formation lap pace controlled by the 2nd gear rule and the need to keep the field closely bunched. If the 2nd gear rule is followed by the GT3 cars then the GT3s won't be going basically flat out during the formation lap. I still suggest that a second GOGOGO occurs for GT3s to ensure the GT3s are in proper formation at the start.

One final point. If you watch the restarts after safety cars in the V8s and F1 races the lead car is responsible for controlling the pace and ensuring that that pace allows ALL cars to maintain a minimum gap to the car ahead. NONE of this is being done by our lead cars. They seem to be only concerned with keeping their tires heated and getting a good start for themselves. This responsibility on the leaders still exists even with the 2nd gear rule.
I do not think your statement about V8s and F1 is correct. I highly doubt there is anything in Hamilton's mind other than tyres being warm, temps being right, and outsmart the guy behind him.

As for me, when I have been the leading car I was always at a speed low enough for everybody to be close to me and always slowed down to like 40km/h for the last two corners to make sure to get into formation. Warming up my tyres if anything makes me go very slow. I believe I have put 3rd gear a few times by mistake, but the total effect on speed of that must have been like .1second.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2017, 04:35:04 PM »
To sum up and repeat:

LMP1s will go when the red lights go out, and then go no higher than 2nd gear. Keep as consistent a speed as possible.

GT3s will go 20 seconds later on a call from the GT3 leader (watch the race timer), and then do the same as the LMP1s, going no higher than 2nd gear.

Both groups independently form into grid formation after the 2nd last right hand corner, and both groups get a GO call from their leaders.
Wally: I won't be there, so I do not care too much. But be careful about creating too much gap between the two groups. We do not want a close LMP1 to need to lap a close GT3 pack. It's good if lapping starts after at least 5 or 6 laps when the packs got more open. I think saying that the GT3 leaders starts when it's time, but he is in charge of keeping his group packed and do a second GO is enough. No need for the initial 20 seconds.

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2017, 08:00:56 PM »
Hi Wally, sorry for the very late notice, but I have come down with a migraine headache and am in no fit condition to race tonight.

rob

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2017, 08:16:10 PM »
Hi Wally, sorry for the very late notice, but I have come down with a migraine headache and am in no fit condition to race tonight.

rob

Clearly not fit with the race being tomorrow Rob  ;)

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2017, 08:25:27 PM »
Not that I think it's too likely me making it on pole, but if I do I'm in trouble,...one hand on the wheel (without buttons) one on the seq shifter...would have to get my missus to assist me pressing the PTT button on my button box  :-[

Offline Dave O

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2017, 08:40:49 PM »

rob

Hope you're right for tomorrow Rob, I get lonely down the back  :(  Dave O.
NEVER TOO OLD TO RACE ... being competitive can be a PROBLEM though.

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2017, 09:03:59 PM »
LOL, sorry guys, the headache is so bad I don't even know what day it is lol.

I'll be there TOMORROW to keep Dave O company.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2017, 07:00:58 AM »
All's well that ends well Rob :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dr_Dinkum

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »
Sorry for late notice, can't make it tonight.

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2017, 09:23:27 PM »
Sorry to quit guys, not my usual style. But I still had the remnants of the migraine hanging around and I just couldn't keep my concentration. I was starting to be a danger to other drivers.

Bring on next week.

rob

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal