Xtreme Gaming Network

Race Steward for protests

Author Topic: Race Steward for protests  (Read 29396 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Race Steward for protests
« on: August 27, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »
So is there any chance these T1 smashes are going to get cleaned up, clearly myself and Freezer both got the rotten end last night, both launched into the stratosphere.

I'd like to clean it up. Half the point of joining a league is to get clean, fair racing. I'd like people to be able to have casual fun, but I'd also like people to be able to take it seriously. No one wants to put in hours of practice just to get punted off in T1. I might have to reinstate the old points penalty system. I could do it on protest only - i.e. you PM someone if you feel you've had your face unfairly ruined. Someone could review the replay, and then assign a point penalty. If you amass more than a certain number of points against you, you miss the next round - that kind of thing.

I probably don't have time to act as a "race steward" like this, especially if a protest comes days later. If people want to see this, do I have any volunteers to be a replay scrutineer for protests? I'd look for someone with lots of sim racing experience - someone who's seen every conceivable kind of crash and knows what's unavoidable and what's not.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Race Steward for protests
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 03:18:18 PM »
I'm always evil enough to help.  Sorry I mean happy and helpful, that is.

We should ask for the replay, cut to size ~30s before the accident.

The prollem, however, is that currently it seems the replay isn't long enough to contain the 1st lap. mine certainly doesn't.

Another thought: it'd be good in cases like this to get multiple sides of the accident, because a bit of lag can change things dramatically. So I recommend everyone to save their replays religiously if we're going to judge based on replays.

Edit: and we need at least one more person; if the complaint is against me, my judgement may not be completely impartial :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:20:13 PM by Bird »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 03:22:36 PM »
I might have to reinstate the old points penalty system. I could do it on protest only - i.e. you PM someone if you feel you've had your face unfairly ruined

My face I mean race was unfairly ruined because Guybrush was too fast, this happened 8 times during the season. I have replays if needed and also you can see race lap times to go along with my official complaint. Maybe I will pass this on to bird our perfectly evil friend assuming nobody is messing with his karma again that is.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:33:52 PM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 03:32:20 PM »
I'm always evil enough to help.  Sorry I mean happy and helpful, that is.

We should ask for the replay, cut to size ~30s before the accident.

The prollem, however, is that currently it seems the replay isn't long enough to contain the 1st lap. mine certainly doesn't.

Another thought: it'd be good in cases like this to get multiple sides of the accident, because a bit of lag can change things dramatically. So I recommend everyone to save their replays religiously if we're going to judge based on replays.

Edit: and we need at least one more person; if the complaint is against me, my judgement may not be completely impartial :D

I've been getting the entire race in a replay. Have you set your limit to 500MB? This changed in one of the recent updates. It's a bit hard to trim the replays, and people forget to keep them etc. I'd like to see one person, say Bird, be responsible for keeping the replay. You should be able to make a decision based on your replay alone. You'd get an independent, third person view of what any lag looked like. I could help out if there's a complaint against you. Let's let the idea stew for a while, see if anyone else has any ideas - in fact, I'll make another thread.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 03:40:24 PM »
Yes, the replay.ini says 500.   Can you set it any larger?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 03:45:59 PM »
That's the limit, but my replay files end up being smaller than that, and include the entire race. Have you checked this recently?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 03:55:35 PM »
That's the limit, but my replay files end up being smaller than that, and include the entire race. Have you checked this recently?
yes, right now :)
And the 2nd nurbi replay is 505,809,791 bytes, so it's close but only 482MB, yet it's missing the first lap or so.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 04:07:12 PM »
Right. Well, for season 3, I'm thinking of 3 x 15 min sprints, so the replays will be shorter.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 04:09:30 PM »
sounds good.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 04:14:27 PM »
I don't want to put words into Freezer and Glen73 mouths but wasn't the point also that collisions in AC at present have too extreme consequences?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 04:24:03 PM »
I don't want to put words into Freezer and Glen73 mouths but wasn't the point also that collisions in AC at present have too extreme consequences?
That's just all the more reason for people to be careful and not divebomb T1.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 05:14:08 PM »
'Let it "stew"...' noice :)

tapatalk on an °[●●]°

"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

G0RGAK

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 05:29:28 PM »
I think a lot of the crashes are due to warping, until the net code is updated not sure if there is anything we can do about it, last race even someone who had ~50ms ping did the occasional warp. However if there is found to be people not allowing others space, breaking too late repeatedly, etc, there should be some type of punishment. Everyone in our race series from what I can see does everything properly though.

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 06:25:33 PM »
There was an old rule I used to use in a past league, it was simple and it worked.

No overtaking under brakes on the first corner of a race. It stops people trying to gain 3-5 places in one corner and the first corner is the best opportunity to do that in a race. It forces people to give racing room and it gives you some confidence that no one is going take advantage of you slowing down and doing the right thing.

But that league was far worse than this one, they really did believe the race was won on the first corner.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 07:59:57 PM »
A rule like that sounds like the way to go. No hero passes on the first corner. A clear pass would be on, but no big lunging bombs up the inside. Any t1 accidents caused could be harshly punished.

@G0rgak, yes there will always be some warping and/or lag, and that's excusable, but t1 mistakes can and always will happen without enough care being taken.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal