Xtreme Gaming Network

Race Steward for protests

Author Topic: Race Steward for protests  (Read 28959 times)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Race Steward for protests
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »
Double penalty for t1l1 shunts.

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 08:38:56 PM »
I can just look at turns 1 and 2 myself in the replays when I do the points actually. I just won't trawl through the entire replay obviously.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 09:21:13 PM »
I reckon having a small system in place helps people like myself not get so frustrated, but in saying that last night I was sleep deprived from the night before and I don't normally quit out like that. But the beauty of having a system in place pretty much sets the tone straight away with out enforcing it upon anyone.                                                                             

Offline Grubbet

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 09:26:16 PM »
i think all we need is a penalty for causing turn one crashes. or even lap 1. keeps things simple and that's where all the carnage happens.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 08:53:15 AM »
I reckon some of the T1 accidents can be attributed to the braking point being something *else* rather than the normal one, thus people without specific "starting practice" may rely on the cars around to show them where to brake.  (I'm guilty of this, sometimes, too)  But also sometimes you get such a good start that you can gain a position or two - maybe even three - to T1, and that's a big gain. 

A rule that says no overtaking under braking is great in theory, but a tricky one to police; where is the braking point? What if my car is much better under braking, etc... 

Now, a "no overtaking till T1" rule, may solve our T1 issues, but won't it remove part of the racing?  Namely most of the starting.  Which will be even more interesting in cars with more power and less traction. 

I know very well how annoying it is when someone removes half of the field (or even just you). It'd bad. Very bad.
But this happens towards the back/mid of the pack, 90% of the cases.  This is due to the extreme slowdown of the train of cars, as it's always mentioned by Wally.     So I reckon some alternative "solution" maybe needed, in fact praccy and heavy penalties might just do it.

I'm just putting my thoughts down, I cannot think of a solution that I'd say is good enough, yet.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:56:26 AM by Bird »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 09:28:36 AM »
I think we don't need to do penalties or anything just yet. Everyone in the league are really trying to be as clean as possible and most of our starts are ok. However, when there is a slight misjudgment and someone is tapped from behind Assetto Corsa collision physics overreacts and ruins someone's race. We probably need to see if this improves in Friday's release. I know that when I have nudged or even just missed a car in front there is a severe rebound effect on the car in front that sends them into the car ahead of them and so on causing havoc that should not have happened.

If we can get some video of T1 posted after each race then that would be great. I, for one, would like to see if I did something wrong so I can learn for next time.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 09:36:59 AM »
In my experience, when there's room in T1, cars can go around side if they slow down a little and stick to their side of the track. As far as side-to-side goes, maybe that's a good rule: if you know (or even suspect) there's a car beside you in T1, stick to your side of the track. Don't go cutting back from the outside of the track looking for the apex. I've maintained this room plenty of times two wide into T1, both cars come out clean, one car has the speed, let them go.

And yes, further back into the pack, you cannot brake at your normal braking point. You have to move your braking distance back from the car in front of you, not the normal brake marker.

I'm leaning towards this now: I'll look at the first corner or two of every race, looking for incidents (assuming the replay goes back far enough), because that won't take long at all. Any other incidents, driver can lodge a protest with Glen or Bird, and they can look at it.
I think a T1 incident should attract more points penalty than other incidents, because there's that much more potential to take half the field out.
It'll be something like, for T1, -4 pts for the hitter, +4 pts for who got hit. Later in the race, -2/+2 pts. You're still expected to redress.
The second time you cause a T1 incident, you miss the next round.
If a driver accumulates more than 10 penalty points against them, they miss a round.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 09:49:01 AM »
I think we don't need to do penalties or anything just yet. Everyone in the league are really trying to be as clean as possible and most of our starts are ok. However, when there is a slight misjudgment and someone is tapped from behind Assetto Corsa collision physics overreacts and ruins someone's race. We probably need to see if this improves in Friday's release. I know that when I have nudged or even just missed a car in front there is a severe rebound effect on the car in front that sends them into the car ahead of them and so on causing havoc that should not have happened.

If we can get some video of T1 posted after each race then that would be great. I, for one, would like to see if I did something wrong so I can learn for next time.

Crash physics or not, you shouldn't be hitting anyone in the first place, especially at T1. It's part of league racing, in my book, to enforce clean racing without wrecking someone else's race, and without getting too heavy-handed about it. It'll make it a better experience for everyone.

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 10:48:52 AM »
It'll be something like, for T1, -4 pts for the hitter, +4 pts for who got hit. Later in the race, -2/+2 pts. You're still expected to redress.
The second time you cause a T1 incident, you miss the next round.
If a driver accumulates more than 10 penalty points against them, they miss a round.

I agree but would change one penalty.

The second time you cause a T1 incident, you miss Qualifying and start from back of grid for next entire round.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 11:13:24 AM »
I think Glen's suggestion for penalties sounds fairer.  You need a system, but I don't want to exclude people from racing.

As for my take on Race 1, T1.  I could have been lag!  I dont have the replay but from the drivers seat, someones car actually came through mine with the resulting major impact sending my flying through the air.  Happy to see a replay if anyone wants to post it.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 11:29:01 AM »
The problem with Glen's idea is that I can't enforce it on the server. It would have to be a voluntary thing that you don't put in any qualifying laps if you're under penalty. I suppose that's doable. A downside is that if someone who normally qualifies near the back end causes a T1 ruckus a couple of times, it's not much of a penalty. But OK, it's worth a try, in the spirit of not being too heavy-handed.

We could get Marty deliberately being a T1 wrecker because we know how he likes working his way through the field.

Rolz

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 12:20:44 PM »
Reckon it was me that sent Freezer/Glen off into the stratosphere on T1...  :-[

but I'm claiming innocence here...  I didn't save the replay (always bloody forget) but I was behind him coming up to the corner... he had a good distance in front of me then warped back and then he shot off with Glen to the sky... I didn't even feel my wheel shake... 

Someone has to have a replay to see this...  :'(

I am incredibly conscious of the T1 of all tracks and definitely don't do the gung-ho dive in or push...

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 12:25:53 PM »
I'm sure that often, it is these weird lag jumps of the car. Does anyone have a race 1 reply to upload? Even trimmed to the first lap?

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 12:51:15 PM »
Wally I think if your a believer in the league then you will voluntarily serve your penalty, as you say it's a light penalty for someone that maybe already racing at the back but it's more the name and shame that is the real penalty.

And here is video to back up what Rolz is saying, Freezer does warp in front of him so in my book it's play on. I wish I had of known this on the night.

[youtube]34iqXyZxvXA[/youtube]

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 01:07:03 PM »
I reckon you're right Glen.
Yeah, that's a perfect example of these stupid lag warps. T1 is not the time nor place for that to happen! I wonder if that's even worth posting up in the AC forums somewhere as an example of this warping. Those size jumps are pretty crappy. NKP was a lot smoother than that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal