Xtreme Gaming Network

S6R6: BARBAGALLO Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S6R6: BARBAGALLO Post-Race Chat  (Read 17418 times)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Re: S6R6: BARBAGALLO Post-Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 11:50:28 AM »
It was pretty interesting holding out Stan and Marty lap after lap on the same corner. Helicorsa showed them with overlap so I left them "driving room" but knew if I didn't mess up the Alfa 4WD would drag me out of the corner ahead without too much skill required on my part :) main thing I learnt with the Alfa was to floor it BEFORE reaching the apex :) thanks Stan for keeping Marty at bay for a while.

This season was a bit of struggle for me coming to grips with the Alfa. Also, my lack of racing ability made having all the "crazy-fast-guys-in-slow-cars" around me pretty unnerving. But I did manage to annoy a few of them for awhile!

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 12:22:24 PM »
I'm happy with my result. I started sim racing a couple of weeks before the season started and feel I wouldn't have improved as much as I did if I wasn't in a competitive league. I think the first half of the season I spun off a lot and ended up way at the back, but the last 2-3 races I felt I could at least compete with a few people. I'd like to think that by choosing the 458 and be quickish in that, I can be quick in anything right?  ;D

Thanks to Wally for organizing and to Wobbly for his advice and tips early on. Been playing arcade racing games for years, but only recently discovered how slower is faster, and how to take proper lines through corners. Looking forward to many more races to come.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 12:35:19 PM »
There were clear patterns and cars strengths and weaknesses, Stan and I were having our own little battle while trying to get past that pesky Alfa. I tjought that was just your regular line there as it can be done in a few different ways. The wide entry late apex and straightening the next couplenof bends can work in some cars. Against another Alfa youd be a sitting duck leaving that much room inside but with the 458 we can get in there but get no traction compared to the Alfa so will never make the move stick. The Alfa has been the one car that the 458 really hasnt been able to get past unless the alfa made a fairly big mistake. Also once it got ahead it was pretty much gone but other cars there was still some hope of getting them from behind.

General defense your normally best to just stick to the race line and make the guy in a faster car find a way around it. Obviously its only something youd do for race position not to cars lapping you when you should just let them have the spot safely while trying not to hold them up too much.

I tried this with perch for a while but did know that the first time id miss an apex hed be in there asap and thats how he got by after 4 or 5 laps of pain. The same tactic didnt work as well with some others as they didnt like having to slow at the apex and tagged me instead.  ;)

Its definatly much harder defending against a faster car then one similar performance but in the end if you run a decent pace and stick to the racing line the other guy needs to find a draft or somehow find a way past off line yet be quicker. That is not always possible and as in some other races I had a nice train of dtms hanging off me at parts of some races.

Joe you did well and racing in the 458 was quite a challenge especially in heavy traffic. It had one clear strength amd a lot of weknesses.

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 04:37:28 PM »
This wasn't a great track for the merc, was really difficult to get the setup to work for it here I did eventually get it respectable, at the cost of tyre life it seemed lol. One things for sure it made for some great racing! and as a field I think its the closest has been.

I managed to qauly the merc in a decent position and with the short run to t1 the mercs off the line weakness was minimised lol, I hung around the p5 mark for most my races with races 1 and 2 being hotly contested with Shameless was a pretty cool, Race 1 I think we went side by side for a whole lap and for most laps he was all over my but lucky for me near the end he made a little mistake giving me a buffer to the finish which I needed with my late race tyre life.
Race 2 was pretty intense but this time he managed to get past me after a long battle lol and I had nothing at the end with tyres being hammered trying to defend all race and I nearly lost out to gratulin too on the last lap coming out of the last turn side by side just hanging on.
Race 3 was a little more relaxed for me, I got up to 7th and managed to hold position and look after the car all race.

All up a good nights racing! representative of the season for my mind I really enjoyed driving the little merc and annoying the alfas in qualy at least lol going to miss that car :( cheers wally for a well run season of racing :)
do you even motorsports?

Offline mooface

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »
First race was good, i couldnt make the others due to technical issues.

Really happy i managed to keep up with the field and hit a 1:01.8 even though that was achieved by cutting through the final corner left hand side.

Thanks for wetting my sim racing appetite, was great racing with you all!

Offline Vipergod

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 08:13:47 PM »
Good fun for me
Pretty much raced Freezer most of the night. Good, hard but fair racing (except that little T1 love tap ;D both our fault)
R3 have no idea what happened. P2 then bam im flying through the air Reckon warping problem.
Broke the car
Thanks Wally for another good season
Congrats to everyone

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 09:45:28 PM »
And the final season stats.

In summary:

Best average finish position: Guybrush, 3.3
Most wins: Jeremy, 9
Most podiums: Jeremy, 14
Most poles: Jeremy, 4
Most fastest laps: Jeremy, 8
Most consistent drivers: Freezer, Jeremy, Matthew111
Most often hunter (chasing others): StanDaam
Most often hunted (being chased): Marty, Rolz
Busiest (cars close in front and behind): Rolz
Loneliest (no cars close): Joe
Most consistent...!  There is a surprise.   I generally felt I had reasonable speed but invariably had a slip or two and let results slip away.  Anyhow I will still take it...:)
As for the racing, the Alfa was very understeery.  the more you lifted off the throttle the more it understeered away.  I found  myself trail braking and holding about 10% throttle from well before the apex to keep it toward the inside of the corner.  Some good racing however.  I was chasing Alfa's but then mid way through caught my first ferrari (Marty) and unfortunately didn't allow enough for his corner speed and tapped him around (sorry).  Had a great last few laps chase with Wally and as Viper said, we battled a number of times.
Many thanks again to Wally for another good season and well done to the winners.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:59:29 PM by Freezer »

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 04:18:46 PM »
It was awesome to race again, although I do have a bit rust on me. :o
Didn't make race 3 as the server just never showed up. :(
Refreshed a bajillion times, even did a whole PC reboot, but nothing. :-\
Hopefully that's a one off.

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 06:41:19 PM »
It was awesome to race again, although I do have a bit rust on me. :o
Didn't make race 3 as the server just never showed up. :(
Refreshed a bajillion times, even did a whole PC reboot, but nothing. :-\
Hopefully that's a one off.

I can't explain why that happened. Race 3 is no different, really. A glitch...
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 07:13:40 PM »
I vaguely recall someone else having the same issue once, I just can't recall if/how they solved it.
Hopefully just a glitch that never reappears. :-X

2+2=√16

Offline Perch

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »
I believe that was me! This season at Nurburging GP if I recall correctly. My issue was that an extra person joined for the last race making the server full. I had full servers filtered out but the first two races were at 23/24 capacity the server showed up in the list. I think we were a few men down for the third race this week but I doubt that was your exact issue. It might have been a different filter?

I was going to ask if the server was passworded for race 3 in relation to the grid order being set but I think I'm confused because myself and a few other silly sausages joined the practice server at first ::)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 07:52:38 PM »
No password for race 3 - just the entry list as usual. And there were even less people in race 3 than race 2. Dunno...
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Jeremy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2015, 02:56:24 PM »
Race 1
Perch got the jump on me and set a very good early pace, racing another quick alpha made it extremely hard to look for a passing move so i just sat behind him and pressured hard for a few laps hoping he would make a mistake and open the door. The race was very quick as we dropped third and kept pushing fast lap times, I got a really good exit out of turn 1 and the extra few k's up the hill allowed me to dive down the inside on the long left just before the top of the hill, we rubbed panels but I managed to make the move stick and pushed hard to create a gap. Car was a gem to drive and came home with the win.

Race 2
Perch again got the jump and again set a cracking pace at the start, unfortunately for him a traffic cone that was on the road sent his car sideways and killed a potential good fight. I pushed on hard and got into a nice rhythm ended up doing a 59.8 during the race which I was a little surprised with.

Race 3
Reverse grids continued to be my downfall as I was unfortunate to be caught up in the first lap shenanigans but thats racing. Dead last I worked my way through the field picking off one by one to finish a solid 10th, was very impressed by the racing I saw in front of me so good hard but fair racing I actually enjoyed sitting behind and watching it unfold before making my own move.

Season
Well for me It was a very successful season although being in the quicker car I pushed hard every race and had some cracking battles along the way, I would like the thank wally for the time and effort he puts week in week out to make this league happen! To everyone else it was awesome racing with you guys Im looking forward to next season when we all have pretty much the same machinery and can have even closer battles.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 03:32:13 PM »
Cheers for all the thanks guys. It's appreciated.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal