Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 3 round 4: Silverstone International race chat

Author Topic: Season 3 round 4: Silverstone International race chat  (Read 46647 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Season 3 round 4: Silverstone International race chat
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 08:10:58 AM »
After reading numbers on the Australian Bureau of Statistics for work today, I realised that I should work out the difference to the median lap time, not the mean. The median is the time where half the people are faster and half are slower, which isnot necessarily the average time. Anyway, having taken this into account, there are minor adjustments to some people's cars in the first post.

Great job mate, the cars look a bit more diverse now!

Out of interest, would you share the nitty-gritty ?

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 08:21:37 AM »
Nice work Wally.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 08:30:58 AM »
After reading numbers on the Australian Bureau of Statistics for work today, I realised that I should work out the difference to the median lap time, not the mean. The median is the time where half the people are faster and half are slower, which isnot necessarily the average time. Anyway, having taken this into account, there are minor adjustments to some people's cars in the first post.

What nitty gritty do you mean? Some numbers?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 10:02:12 AM »

What nitty gritty do you mean? Some numbers?

No, not some, all of them :) 
No, I mean the maths, the method of calculation - as much as you want to divulge without causing pain to yourself, that is. ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 11:04:32 AM »
Sure, I'll explain it when I have some time.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 12:13:27 PM »
Sure, I'll explain it when I have some time.

Does it involve a printed spreadsheet, a blindfold and some darts.  ;D

Good to see the mix of cars and a few more out there, maybe I wont just be seeing green cars all around me. Sbouod have some good battles with other cars which is more fun as it will promote a bit more action with cars strengths and weaknesses.

Any thoughts on the next season if we dont get ballast? Running gt cars you can use this system too especially if a few more come in. There is a few seconds between the gt2 and lotus gtc but they can all compete still so that could be used for handicaps. May be best to wait til we get a few more to add some more variety and perfomance differences.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 12:34:17 PM »
Even just to have 3 or 4 different cars would be OK if there is no ballast.  The F40, the 458 and the McLaren seemed like a good match?  There might be other cars to throw in that mix as well.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 12:53:48 PM »
Even just to have 3 or 4 different cars would be OK if there is no ballast.  The F40, the 458 and the McLaren seemed like a good match?  There might be other cars to throw in that mix as well.

I was thinking along the same lines...especially since the F40 has 3 variants already.

But I reckon one thing is missing compared to the ballasted seasons: for extreme ballasts, you always got a few points.  That made it feasible to get to higher ranks even in an over-ballasted situation.   I think that'd be a good addition.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 02:56:24 PM »
Yeah, something along those lines. Mixed grids are more fun. I did consider something like the slower cars getting more points, like with the ballast. A bonus points scheme, for some categories of car E. G. VeVery roughly, Elise drivers get one bonus point per race type of thing.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 03:08:10 PM »

I was thinking along the same lines...especially since the F40 has 3 variants already.

But I reckon one thing is missing compared to the ballasted seasons: for extreme ballasts, you always got a few points.  That made it feasible to get to higher ranks even in an over-ballasted situation.   I think that'd be a good addition.

Have you got an extra F40 hidden away Bird? but the regular and S3 are not even close to eachother. S3 has way more power and racing slicks the regular f40 on semis is close in laptimes to a 458 and Mclaren.

Here are some Imola Pro RSR Times.

Ferrari 599xx 1:38.114
F40 s3 1:48.272
F40 1:54.860
F458 1:52.376

F458 s3 1:43.872
KTM XBow 1:55.614
Lotus 2 eleven 1:55.243
Mclaren MP4 12C 1:52.387
Merc SLS 1:56.285

The cars in red actually could be useable using a similar system possibly with a similar variation to what we are using this season. Maybe there could be some more cars coming that could fit in there too. There would be pretty large performance differences between these but I think I will chuck them up on my server to see how they mix up.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 03:13:43 PM »
Oh, I seemed to recall an S1 version of the F40 - it seems I was wrong.

But I don't see any big problems, we have slower chaps who'll appreciate the extra grip & power.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »
Oh, I seemed to recall an S1 version of the F40 - it seems I was wrong.

But I don't see any big problems, we have slower chaps who'll appreciate the extra grip & power.

If you could force semi slicks on the f40 s3 then it may be useable, RSR time there is 1:54 but most of the quicker guys would have set laps on slicks and it only saves your fastest lap. Probably be around the times of the 458 and mp4 if not using the racing slicks.

Offline cramjet

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2014, 04:49:49 PM »
I'll make this weeks race. Should I go in the car I last raced (1m) or what I was assigned last (elise s2)?

edit: I can see I've got the s2 on the practice server - hooray! ::)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 04:56:53 PM by cramjet »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2014, 05:23:02 PM »
I'll make this weeks race. Should I go in the car I last raced (1m) or what I was assigned last (elise s2)?

edit: I can see I've got the s2 on the practice server - hooray! ::)
Yeah, that's right - the last car you were assigned after you last raced - which is the Elise S2.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2014, 08:58:55 AM »
I'm just doing up the extra skins.
Just want to make sure, as it's getting hard to follow lol. There are two extra car models than last week? The two M3 variants?

Remember, I've only got the list in the sign up post to go from. As far as working out fast to slowest. So if there are any changes in that original list let me know.

But the main question is. Only the two M3 variants have been added since last week?

This is where skinning gets annoying. Things don't always work how they should. and it's a slow process to work it out sometimes. and the M3 step 1 has got me stumped atm. It's exact same template as the standard M3 there is some file somewhere that makes the car either be white. or if I mess with the files. it comes out like this:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:04:17 AM by Dick Forrest »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal