Xtreme Gaming Network

S16R1: Paul Ricard WTCC race chat

Author Topic: S16R1: Paul Ricard WTCC race chat  (Read 26873 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: S16R1: Paul Ricard WTCC race chat
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 11:26:32 AM »
It's probably not cutting the apex but running wide on exit.
I can't remember for sure now, but I think PLP will issue a cut for running wide there.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 12:36:21 PM »
I can't remember for sure now, but I think PLP will issue a cut for running wide there.
What's your wing setting? I am on 5, I think. With it, at 100% grip, I manage to take a wide entry (barely the right wheels inside the track), then cut across smoothly with minimal minimal brakes (telemetry says 4 or 5% at most) dropping to 5th to make it turn a tad more, avoid the yellow pole by as little as possible and then try not to go on the outer part of the kerb on exit (less grip there for the next straight). When it comes right, you reach the limiter in 5th just when you get back on the brakes without any obvious cut.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 01:49:35 PM »
What's your wing setting? I am on 5, I think. With it, at 100% grip, I manage to take a wide entry (barely the right wheels inside the track), then cut across smoothly with minimal minimal brakes (telemetry says 4 or 5% at most) dropping to 5th to make it turn a tad more, avoid the yellow pole by as little as possible and then try not to go on the outer part of the kerb on exit (less grip there for the next straight). When it comes right, you reach the limiter in 5th just when you get back on the brakes without any obvious cut.
Default wing. 8? I'm probably not taking the entry wide enough, and having to brake too much.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 03:06:51 PM »
Im running default setup as seems good enough. For T5 I'm way left then tap brakes for just a split second where ripple strip starts, drop to 5th then turn in then straight onto full throttle again. If i get it right will get two wheels onto apex and outside curb. If i get it wrong and need to ease off the throttle to prevent going wide i loose a heap of time.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 03:10:25 PM by Joe »

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 05:07:54 PM »
I'm looking at the lap times and the lap telemetry and I'm just slightly slower in every single part of the track and I can't figure out if it's setup or some fundamental flaw in my driving style or both. I was watching Phil and Joe do some laps yesterday and I honestly can't even see what I'm doing so differently, it's just that slight bit that adds up to a couple of seconds over the course of the track and it's frustrating the shit out of me!

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 05:39:46 PM »
I'm looking at the lap times and the lap telemetry and I'm just slightly slower in every single part of the track and I can't figure out if it's setup or some fundamental flaw in my driving style or both. I was watching Phil and Joe do some laps yesterday and I honestly can't even see what I'm doing so differently, it's just that slight bit that adds up to a couple of seconds over the course of the track and it's frustrating the shit out of me!

Have you tried the spectate mode in ptracker? Just watching faster people I can never see what they are doing differently, but the ptracker spectator gives you a delta between your fastest time and the person's current lap. It at least allows you to see on which corners or parts of the track you're losing the time.

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 05:50:25 PM »
I never even knew that was a thing, thanks Joe, will check it out.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 06:01:21 PM »
I never even knew that was a thing, thanks Joe, will check it out.

Just right click their name in ptracker and choose spectate. The delta is at top left of ptracker window if I remember correctly.

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 06:05:39 PM »
Yep can see it. Now I've just gotta look out for a quick driver :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 08:00:08 PM »
The telemetry usually shows that faster drivers brake fractionally later, and get on the throttle sooner. It all adds up.

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 10:41:59 PM »
You're right Marty. I'm guessing a lot of the reason here for me not carrying anywhere near as much speed through most turns is because I'm not hitting the apex. Funny that turns 6 to 10 are the ones I feel like I'm not doing well, but it seems from this like most of the time I'm losing is actually through 1 to 6.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 11:38:00 PM »
The biggest speed discrepancy there, as with my laps, is T5. I'd focus on improving that. The advice earlier is to start the turn way to the left of track (almost off track).

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 11:50:19 PM »
Sometimes it is hard to spot where you are losing time from the graphs. If you look at mine (blue) and Marty's (red) best laps (see attached file), it almost looks like I should be ahead. But it's like Marty says: I am probably faster through one or two corners, but he's getting out of them consistently a tiny bit faster and cleaner, and that tiny bit then multiplies by the whole length of the straight after them. If you look at the longest straight, his line is just above mine. It's a small difference, but for a very long time...

That said: I think jumping in somebody's car and see what they do can really help. As well as following somebody. I learned a lot from following many of you guys. As I said once, the only one I could not learn anything from is GB: every time I tried to do what he was doing, I just immediately crashed.

I am enjoying a lot the atmosphere for this season. We are all quite close in laptimes, and there is a lot of chat about which line to take on a corner or how to run over a kerb. Mael and I had an interesting conversation about turn 2, I learned I was losing exiting turn 4 following Marty and Diehard, and Wally, Joe, and I shared ideas about how to tackle the mighty turn 5. I think it's this kind of conversations that make our league really good. Let's keep them going!

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2017, 11:57:48 PM »
The biggest speed discrepancy there, as with my laps, is T5. I'd focus on improving that. The advice earlier is to start the turn way to the left of track (almost off track).

Yeah I think I actually managed to take it better a few times but not on my fastest lap funnily enough. That's probably most of the difference between my best time of 1:29.3 and my theoretical best of 1:28.7.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 08:06:25 AM »
Sometimes it is hard to spot where you are losing time from the graphs. If you look at mine (blue) and Marty's (red) best laps (see attached file), it almost looks like I should be ahead. But it's like Marty says: I am probably faster through one or two corners, but he's getting out of them consistently a tiny bit faster and cleaner, and that tiny bit then multiplies by the whole length of the straight after them. If you look at the longest straight, his line is just above mine. It's a small difference, but for a very long time...

That said: I think jumping in somebody's car and see what they do can really help. As well as following somebody. I learned a lot from following many of you guys. As I said once, the only one I could not learn anything from is GB: every time I tried to do what he was doing, I just immediately crashed.

I am enjoying a lot the atmosphere for this season. We are all quite close in laptimes, and there is a lot of chat about which line to take on a corner or how to run over a kerb. Mael and I had an interesting conversation about turn 2, I learned I was losing exiting turn 4 following Marty and Diehard, and Wally, Joe, and I shared ideas about how to tackle the mighty turn 5. I think it's this kind of conversations that make our league really good. Let's keep them going!

Che palle che mi fate venire,fra te e marty siete dei pallosi pazzeschi. Ma non avete niente da fare che parlare di questo giochino dalla mattina alla.sera???.......capre!!!  ANDATE A LAVORARE....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal