Xtreme Gaming Network

Dual video cards

Author Topic: Dual video cards  (Read 10055 times)

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Dual video cards
« on: May 30, 2014, 02:20:56 PM »
Just bought another 7950 vid card to put in crossfire with my existing card.
Do I just plug it in and turn PC on and it will sort itself out or there other drivers etc I have to do to get it working?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:13:45 PM by gawaterman »

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
Re: Dual video cards
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 03:18:43 PM »
Listening for the answer GW, do you solo or multiple screens?
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 03:36:15 PM »
If it's ATI you should get a cross fire clip to attach to "crossfire" both the cards. So unless you attach this clip the card will work independently of each other, also ensure you have the right power supply for 2 cards. I have always used nVidia Sli so I will search a video for you.

[youtube]9n6Sy2HEgxs[/youtube]

Good luck and be gentle  ;D

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 04:17:39 PM »
Thanks Glen, did know about the link, just not sure about the software problems. Also little concerned about the psu, notes re the motherboard suggest 850w psu for crossfire, whereas mine is only 750w. Will try it and see what happens
Single monitor Bruce

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 04:36:47 PM »
I've got SLI nVidia and can't remember squat about setting it up, so I think it's simple.
(I succeeded :P)
There is a SLI lead/clip to link the two cards (that I know) and then they do it themselves (I'm pretty sure).

I know you probably don't want to hear uncertainty but like I said, I did it (and I'm stoopid). ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »
Thanks Glen, did know about the link, just not sure about the software problems. Also little concerned about the psu, notes re the motherboard suggest 850w psu for crossfire, whereas mine is only 750w. Will try it and see what happens
Single monitor Bruce

Don't worry to much about power supply, your computer will let you know if it isn't getting enough juice when the cards are under heavy load. Usually during a game it will let you know ;D Anyway there is good rated 750w around and there is some crap supposed 750w around. Hopefully you have a decent one.

Software should be easy enough for you so don't stress and enjoy the process!

Offline jestronix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 07:21:13 PM »
Hi Guys,

Im running two 7950s with 3 monitors on Assetto. Ive spent quiet a bit of time fine tuning with Assetto and I have to say while in testing crossfire will double your frame rate, the game itself doesnt seem ready.  Racing last night i switched out of crossfire and was rewarded with smoother game play, all be it at lower frame rates.  Im not on beta drivers, but the latest stable. There must be some overhead in crossfire thats cutting into assetto, im sure they will iron this out. But im only seeing this in multiplayer.  Im running SSD and can tell you we are not seeing load related slowdowns, its programming and drivers.   BF3 on 3 monitors maxed out on crossfire is smooth as silk, so i think in the coming months we will see silky smooth assetto.

Anyone else running crossfire ?  would like to know your settings.

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 12:40:36 PM »
All in and working, biggest problem I had was finding power cords from my modular psu to power up the vid card.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »
Hey Jest, all running well here on nV SLI and triple screens - but for a good while it was problematic, too.   I'm sure they'll eventually iron out the ATI path, too.

Offline jestronix

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 11:01:18 PM »
yeh ive noticed most games aim to please nvidia first then ATI.  Im running win 8.1 too so that could have something to do with it. 

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 11:50:18 PM »
Possible...win8 has never really gotten off the ground, I guess it never will.

Mind you I don't think it's games favouring nVidia, rather the other way around: nV going out of their way to get games working, even early ones. 

I've seen heaps of driver problems while I was using an ati xfire setup for a year. Stupid stuff that could have been easily avoided by Ati's driver department.  Stuff that somehow got through the testing, and got fixed in the next release; but also things like the inability to do bezel correction if your monitors weren't the _exact_ same, that never got fixed even though it came back regularly online.  Plus the micro-stutter; it was really bad.   

Some people also hinted that if you want to use ati, you should also use amd cpu, they like to work better (I had an intel cpu).  Anecdotal evidence supporting it, mind you.  Not sure if this is just wishful thinking, but interesting thought, nonetheless.

I've given up on Ati for a lifetime after that year.  I'm happy to pay the "nVidia tax" for the better driver support :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal