Xtreme Gaming Network

Initial thoughts

Author Topic: Initial thoughts  (Read 31608 times)

Offline UBGrumpy

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
Re: Initial thoughts
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 07:43:23 PM »
If your running on an older machine

lol, please don't speculate ;)

Offline UBGrumpy

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 03:18:57 PM »
..... you cant blame the game
It appears you have taken an un-educated guess at not only my PC specs but those of many thousands on the Battlelog forums who have the same issues with ingame lag. I don't blame the game at all, I blame the developers of the game. ;)

The problem mainly affects i7 pc's running Windows 7.

I have fixed my problem with a 'registry edit', but it is a temporary fix until DICE release a patch to fix 'their' mistake. ;)

Here's something for you all to try, firstly read the 'minimum' specs released for the game, then go ingame (into a server) and run the 'System Performance Test' in Options. (just go to Options and the test button is down the bottom right hand side of the screen, click on the button and on the next screen click 'Run Test'. Here's the funny thing, many people who have system witch easily meet the 'Recommended' specs (not minimum but recommended specs) FAIL the FPS test. Many people with higher end systems still come up with a FAIL for FPS even tho the game runs smoothly for them.
A good example is Funnybones, he only has an i5 system, running in ULTRA settings the game runs 100% smooth as even tho he fails the FPS test.
What I am getting at is DONT trust that ingame system test, it will tell you to lower graphics settings when you don't need too.

The Battlelog forum has many thousands of people reporting ingame faults. It has nothing to do with having low end systems. ;)
Before I made my registry edit, I lagged out badly when running the game in LOW settings, the ingame System Test was still telling me to lower graphic settings even tho I had everything already set to the absolute lowest it could go, since the registry change I now run in HIGH/ULTRA with no lag at all. ;)

My shitty system can run the game. ;)

Offline shevermin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 05:36:37 PM »
Hey grumps  is that disabling hyper threading or the core idle thingy  ??

Mine drops to just above 35 when the going gets tough  but I was blaming it on surround setup..

Offline UBGrumpy

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 09:58:43 PM »
Firstly remember, only for i7's which are running Windows 7. (Windows 8 handles Core Parking differently on i7's)

Ive tried both those methods Shev, disabling Hyper Threading does indeed help and to a point does work, but then I found the 'Core Parking' discussions and this works near 100% as far as no lag goes for me. I now play the game on mostly 'High' settings (could do with a slightly better graphics card to run it 100% in Ultra) but before parking the cores my game was near unplayable even in all the lowest settings.
I also now have Hyper Threading 'Enabled' again.

Open Regedit

Find this key:  " 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "

Within this key, there is a value called:  " ValueMax "

This value represents the % number of cores your system will park - the default is 100%  ie:  all Cores are potentially park-able.
(the Path at the bottom of Regedit should be: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583)

Right Click 'ValueMax' and choose 'Modify' from the menu, Change the value from 64 to 0 so the " ValueMin "  and  " ValueMax " are both zero

Depending on the number of power profiles you have, You will have to repeat the process maybe 2 or 3 times to make sure you find all instances of the '0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583' key. I personally only had 1 instance of the key in my registry.

Do a full Shutdown and Power-Off (Do a Cold Re-start)

Offline shevermin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 12:41:29 AM »
Cheers for that....   ;D

Offline Shrek

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 02:39:30 PM »
Grumps,
I mainly get the lag on a full 64 slot server.  Will this help?

Offline shevermin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 04:07:30 PM »
Made a noticable difference with my i7 930..  Before it was spending a lot of time down in the red (below 40fps) but since drops to yellow only when it's real busy..  Stays mostly above 60 now.. ::)

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 06:46:40 PM »
Question from lazy me...  :o Is $AUS56 a good price? I just noticed Kogan has a bunch of games on special.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline UBGrumpy

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 09:00:19 PM »
Grumps,

If you have the lag problem really bad, you will notice it even in a small server with just a few players. If you only notice the lag in full 64 slot servers then it may just be because there is so much happening on the screen. But if you have an i7 and are running Windows 7 then yes the small registry change 'may' help'.

IMPORTANT: This will only work for i7's which are running Windows 7.

From memory Shrek, you're running Windows 8? If so then no this registry fix will not help your lag. Windows 8 handles 'Core Parking' differently and does not have the same problem as Windows 7. ;)

Offline Shrek

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 09:24:59 PM »
Grumps,

From memory Shrek, you're running Windows 8? If so then no this registry fix will not help your lag. Windows 8 handles 'Core Parking' differently and does not have the same problem as Windows 7. ;)

I switched back to windows 7 three months ago.  Windows 8 sucked a big fat one.
My proccessor is an intel I7 2600k, so may be worth trying.

Offline UBGrumpy

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 09:37:19 PM »
My proccessor is an intel I7 2600k, so may be worth trying.

I also have the i7 2600k, so for you yes its definitely worth trying. Its a fully reversible registry setting adjustment which is only disabling a power saving option for your CPU. You are not DELETING a registry key, you are only MODIFYING it, so no harm can be done. :)

Offline SpeedFreak

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 12:28:09 PM »
Does anyone have a answer to my problem ....when I start up BF4 if I choose Multi player - Campaign or just want to go on test range my game crashes and this comes up on desktop ( See image below )
I'm running windows 8 - i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz - 64 bit - 24GB
& NVidia  GeForce GT 740m card

[attachment deleted by Wally - running out of space]

Offline TheVON

• View Profile
    • Delta Force Warriors
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »
Try this ( it helped me and it might work for you aswell )

In Task Manager look for BF4.exe ( right click ) and  Set Affinity to 6 cores (disable 2 cores) and then Set Priority to Low and this must be done
while game is running ( control/Alt/delete ) then click "Save" as bf4 does not like Intel 8 core CPU's sometimes..

Try this also

Go to Battlefield 4 In-game Video Settings -

turn V-Sync =  ON,
Motion Blur Amount = 0%,
All Antialiasing Settings = OFF,
Ambient Occlusion = OFF

Offline SpeedFreak

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2013, 05:28:08 PM »
Try this ( it helped me and it might work for you aswell )

In Task Manager look for BF4.exe ( right click ) and  Set Affinity to 6 cores (disable 2 cores) and then Set Priority to Low and this must be done
while game is running ( control/Alt/delete ) then click "Save" as bf4 does not like Intel 8 core CPU's sometimes..

Try this also

Go to Battlefield 4 In-game Video Settings -

turn V-Sync =  ON,
Motion Blur Amount = 0%,
All Antialiasing Settings = OFF,
Ambient Occlusion = OFF
Thanks Von ...got it sorted

Offline hitman

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 06:39:37 PM »
Is it worth getting BF4 guys? Just finished my uni degree  and quite bored atm (struggling to find engi jobs atm  :'()

I dont want to rape Brit and Shrek so hard that it'll make both rage quit BF4 forever and then I end up quitting BF4 after a month or so aswell. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal