Xtreme Gaming Network

Remembering Chris Amon, 1943-2016

Author Topic: Remembering Chris Amon, 1943-2016  (Read 3724 times)

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
Remembering Chris Amon, 1943-2016
« on: August 05, 2016, 12:26:25 PM »
Chris Amon (R) with Jim Clark at Indianapolis in 1967. Photo courtesy Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Best remembered for his win in the Ford GT40 Mk IIA with co-driver Bruce McLaren in the 1966 24 Hours of Le Mans, Chris Amon was also renowned for his bad luck behind the wheel during a Formula 1 career that would span 14 seasons. On August 3, Amon died of cancer in a New Zealand hospital, age 73.

The son of a wealthy sheep rancher in New Zealand, Amon reportedly learned to drive on the family farm at the age of six. After progressing up the racing ladder in Australia and New Zealand, Amon was discovered by British racer and F1 team owner Reg Parnell in 1962, and the following year, he joined Parnell’s team in England.

His career in F1 would be an odd mix of brilliance and misfortune, with mechanical failures ending many races that Amon should have won. Often described as the best driver never to have won a Grand Prix, his racing CV included stints with Parnell, Cooper, Scuderia Ferrari, March Engineering, Equipe Matra, Martini Racing, Elf Team Tyrrell, Team Motul BRM, and Team Ensign. In 1966 and again in 1974, Amon even attempted to go it alone, forming Chris Amon Racing, but with similar results. Mario Andretti once said of Amon’s fortune (or lack thereof), “if he became an undertaker, people would stop dying,” but it was Ferrari’s former technical director, Mauro Forghieri, who best summed up the driver’s talents by calling him “by far the best test driver I have ever worked with.”

Full Article...
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Remembering Chris Amon, 1943-2016
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 12:43:38 PM »
 :'(

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal