Xtreme Gaming Network

S14R3: Brands Hatch GP Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S14R3: Brands Hatch GP Post-Race Chat  (Read 22840 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S14R3: Brands Hatch GP Post-Race Chat
« on: October 25, 2016, 10:24:53 PM »
RACE RESULTS AND CHARTS
SEASON STANDINGS

SEASON STATS
ALL TIME STATS

Penalties
None.

Round Points
Guybrush Threepwood   76
Grat   67
Phil.8   63
Marty   59
M8R   44
Wally   38
hylas   38
Bacchulum   26
nith   24
Joe   24
Mael   23
Keith   16
Rob   11
Simone   10
Freezer   9
Doobs   5
RussG   4
AJ   3
stevenngo   2
Seanus   1

Congratulations to Guybrushon pole position and the race 2 and round wins, and to Phil for the race 1 win.

Special mention to Keith, who gained 7 places in race 1 to finish 14th after qualifying in 21st.

Season Podium
1. Guybrush, 155 points
2. Grat, 146
3. Matthew, 132

Team Standings
Achilles Heels (Guybrush and Marty) lead DA Racing (Grat and Wally), 284 points to 220.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 07:45:41 AM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: S14R3: Brands Hatch GP Post-Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 10:36:51 PM »
Was probably on track for my highest points for a single night, but had to make an unscheduled 'baby change' during the pit stop in the 2nd race costing me positions.

R1 I qualified 6th between M8R and Wally and had some good opening laps. After GB's mishap he was on my tail going side by side on the uphill right hander and we touched and I want onto grass. I then messed up the following corner and Wally got past. I thought I may get an undercut on him later on but came out of the pits just behind. I started to pick my pace up and after a few laps Wally made a mistake coming out of T4 and I got the run on him up the hill. Somewhere in there M8R spun and we both got past so I finished 5th.

R1 I started 5th, got into a groove and made a pretty decent gap. The way I was going I was confident I would have kept that position, but on lap 9 the baby who was asleep on the sofa behind me woke up just as I was coming around the final turn, so I made a dive into the pits, stopped, squeezed out of my rig, grabbed him and took him into my wife who'd actually just gone to bed (oops). I think I came out of the pits in 18th so put my head down and put in some good laps. I made a few passes then got to the back of a train where I overtook Rob into T1 then onto the back of Simone, but coming into T4 I saw whoever was in front of Simone going sideways so I braked and spun giving Rob the place back. Lap 19 Simone spun and Rob and I got past, then I tried again on T1 but couldn't get past, but did make it through the inside of T4 finishing 12th in the end I think. The latter part of the race was probably the most fun of the night :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:20:25 AM by Joe »

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 11:00:37 PM »
Well at this rate Maki Engineering my well be reconsidering their driver options for next season . . !
R1: Unfortunately due to technical issues with my PC not being able to run the game above 20fps I had to bail out as it was not driveable.
I later resolved this and was able to run some practice laps in the second half of the race.
R2: Starting from last was always going to be hard.  I had some door handle banging with Hornbag as he was trying to hold on around the outside but unfortunately he went off.  I seemed to have decent pace and started catching a few people but then did a silly spin  >:(
I decided to pit early and duly bumped the wall on entry and found after the car was very skaty . .
After a dodgy lap or so I managed to adapt to it and pushed on eventually getting home 15th.

Technical issues ruined the night but with my new setup (thanks Wally) things are looking up!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 11:03:17 PM »
Was a bit of an off night for me, in Qualy I made a pretty major stuff up and went off hit a wall with 1 min to go when well up on my current time. I had time to finish that lap and do 1 more but with damage it was pointless to run the last lap.

Race 1 starting in 4th I had an ok start and with GB having some issues managed to get into 2nd chasing Phil, he pitted and I stayed out a couple more laps. I came out just behind him so not quite to plan but had a good little battle with him. I then had a big brain berp into t1 locking a wheel and losing about 10 seconds or more playing in the sand going back to 4th where I finished.

Race 2 starting in 4th again, GB got to the lead and that was the last we were going to see of him. Was a good little battle with Phil and Grat, I managed to get ahead of Phil then tried to chase down Grat. He has some good pace and I really wasnt making much progress on him, I pitted trying an undercut but stuffed my entry to pits and he pitted the lap after and I had lost another couple of seconds. From there I tried to push and catch up but was gaining .1 or .2 some laps then making a small error and losing .5 which continued on to the end of the race.

Im really not getting that much out of this car so it will be quite a battle to get a season podium with GB easily taking the win assuming he makes most races.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 11:29:54 PM »
Well at this rate Maki Engineering my well be reconsidering their driver options for next season . . !

Should read up on your F1 history Freezer! Maki Engineering has no pretenses on winning any championships. Although I do expects some podiums in the second half of the season.

Fun races although my playtime in Brands Hatch's beaches destroyed any chance of a good finish. Had a epic battle in the second half of race 2 with Nith, Keith, Rob and a bunch other drivers. Apologies to any drivers if I was a bit too aggressive  ;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 11:32:33 PM by Mael »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 11:42:32 PM »
That was my best round, points-wise, and also managing to pick up the "Most Consistent Lap Times" award in both races, which surprised me. I moved up 2 spots in the season standings.

In race 1, I was battling Joe for the most part, and as he mentioned, a little oversteer by me at T4 saw him get passed to finish that race 1 spot ahead of me, which was a fair result as Joe's best lap time was almost 1 second better than mine. I was chasing Mael on the season leaderboard, so I was keeping half an eye on when he pitted. I saw he pitted on lap 8, so I thought I'd stay out a little longer as I had clear track to try to build up a little buffer. Maybe it worked to help me finish a few spots ahead of him.

In race 2, I randomly decided for a longer first stint, hitting the lead momentarily, and pitted on lap 12, after most other people had pitted. It didn't work out all that well, as I lost one spot all up, dropping from 6th to 7th. I came out of pits in a nice big gap to Hylas in front and Bacchulum behind, and had a relatively lonely 2nd stint to the end. All of my pit strategies are just guess work :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 11:54:02 PM »
"Freezer squeezed Hornbag off track at turn 2 after passing on the inside: 50 kg penalty ballast next race."

Have to disagree with this one.  I was alongside on entry to the corner.  Hornbag turned in a bit tight as I hugged the inside ripple strip and we rubbed slightly.  No problem though.
Then on exit he gets on the gas to hard and kicks out the rear.  The subsequent turn in sees him hit my front (he was holding opposite lock at the time of contact). The impact bounced him out to the grass.

Here is the point of contact.  Hornbag already sideways.  Racing room to my left.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 07:00:15 AM »
"Freezer squeezed Hornbag off track at turn 2 after passing on the inside: 50 kg penalty ballast next race."

Have to disagree with this one.  I was alongside on entry to the corner.  Hornbag turned in a bit tight as I hugged the inside ripple strip and we rubbed slightly.  No problem though.
Then on exit he gets on the gas to hard and kicks out the rear.  The subsequent turn in sees him hit my front (he was holding opposite lock at the time of contact). The impact bounced him out to the grass.

Here is the point of contact.  Hornbag already sideways.  Racing room to my left.
I'll watch it again. From my view of the replay, you just appeared to keep going right after the initial pass, squeezing him off the track on your left.

Edit: Yes, you're quite right. I see how Hornbag's rear kicked out turning him into you. Sorry about that - I've removed the penalty.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 07:45:29 AM by Wally »

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 08:05:16 AM »

I'll watch it again. From my view of the replay, you just appeared to keep going right after the initial pass, squeezing him off the track on your left.

Edit: Yes, you're quite right. I see how Hornbag's rear kicked out turning him into you. Sorry about that - I've removed the penalty.
All good . . thanks Wally.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 09:05:31 AM »
Overall a positive night for me.

Quali: had a good first stint, but in second stint I found traffic everywhere. On my best lap I think I lost around 3 tenths due to it. But thankfully Marty had a harder time than I had and I managed third.

NOTE TO PHIL: your quali lap has a cut in it. I think that with rolling starts it should be pretty easy to sort these kind of things... .

Race 1: opted to stay out of lead battle in first 2 laps. I think it was the wise choice, but also left me very vulnerable to Marty's attack, and indeed he passed me. After GB's off, I just tried to stay around 1 sec. behind the leading duo and postponed any further ambition to the second part of the race. I managed a good pair of fast laps before the pit stop, but re-emerged just behind Marty again. It was shaping to be a nice battle, but then GB arrived and I lost contact with the lead when we both went off at t1. Then Marty did the same, and we both gained a position on him. 3rd was more than I had hoped (4th) so I was happy :)

Race 2: GB passed Phil at the start and he was gone. I did not feel to attack Phil properly, but when he made a mistake at the last turn of the first lap, I took the chance (sorry Phil for the little bump... also, Marty: on replay I noticed I did not leave you much space there, though probably 3-wide would have been suicidal at t1). From then on, it was like an f1 race: eyes on the timing, 2 fast laps before the stop, 4 fast laps after the stop, and then when I saw I had more than 3 seconds 2 laps to go I just slowed down to keep it home safe. 2nd was the absolute best I could hope for!

All in all: Brands-Hatch is lots of fun, but 40 laps pushing on it are mentally very very tiring! I was really proud of not making mistakes and being able to judge when to push and when to let it go. In the past I screwed up so many races by pushing when I shouldn't have....

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 09:25:18 AM »

Penalty removed but I made a short video last night so will put it up anyway.

My analysis of the initial contact Freezer was still with both right wheels inside the white line so I would say Hornbag squeezed him a little causing that bump. This may have unsettled him a little and the second collision was as he lost the rear. I think Freezers exit point possibly may have squeezed hornbag had he not got loose but as it was after the contact and Hornbag already off track Freezer had more room on exit by then as he was clear.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 10:48:08 AM »

NOTE TO PHIL: your quali lap has a cut in it. I think that with rolling starts it should be pretty easy to sort these kind of things... .

Yes, i lost time as i went wide in the fast corners part of the track, but am happy top take any points penalty the Wally review system deems necessary 
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 10:52:09 AM »

Yes, i lost time as i went wide in the fast corners part of the track, but am happy top take any points penalty the Wally review system deems necessary

Mine was also a cut, but a slow lap due to other mistakes. I also didn't realize during the lap as I was focused on track and only saw it in the results page. I think if you clearly know you made a cut that would give you an advantage you should slow down, otherwise does it really matter?

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 10:58:11 AM »
I slow down even when practicing if i make a cut that gains time as not to mess my delta
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 10:58:49 AM »

Its a shame we cant set ingame penalties by session, the cut detection lap invalidation works well in practice and qualy but for races in the league using just plp for track cuts is a much better option then the forced slowdown penalty. My qualy was killed as I ran wide then hit the wall lol so clearly no time gain but I also abandoned the session at that point.

I think I will need to suggest this again at the forums, I dont think it would be so hard to code different penalty levels for each session.

As is I think there should be some set penalty for people setting a qualy lap on an invalid lap. Maybe just a points penalty or a grid penalty for race 2 of the next round. So possibly all that set their best lap with an invalid lap they should get a 5 place grid penalty at the next round.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal