Xtreme Gaming Network

THE Oculus Rift Thread

Author Topic: THE Oculus Rift Thread  (Read 84963 times)

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: THE Oculus Rift Thread
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2016, 09:15:25 PM »
Cool, my one dimensional thinking thought you went a curved monitor lol my bad. Look forward to your feedback on the rift.

Offline Sin

• Edit Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2016, 09:54:37 AM »
haha, I get it. My bad, I replied under your post but yea, sorry I have an MSI GT80s laptop that I use the 18" screen for everyday stuff. Looked at buying a gaming screen but figured, due to the timing more than anything else, I should try the oculus. I was lucky to get my order in early. Not one of the first to get the Rift and I never tried the dk2 or anything.

I have been building a cockpit in between other commitments and this will allow me to use the tv on occasion but the rift lets me set up a little more long term. My missus kindly lets me bolt the wheel to our office space but she is studying so it is always a temporary arrangement.

Hopefully my aging brain can handle it  :D

Offline Sin

• Edit Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2016, 10:37:34 PM »
Mint! Get one, Pcars is a bit grainy but definitely a lot of fun. Live for Speed has been renewed in my opinion with this alone.

Just watching my 5 year old boy as a T-Rex walks over him in VR and my 7 year old girls expression as she stood on a virtual edge of a building was worth the price of admission.
CV2 will probably have a better screen, some pop up was noticeable at Road America in Pcars and the resolution is a downgrade from your gaming monitors etc but this will be the next step in gaming. Took a while to get here, but it's arrived.

The fact even my non gaming missus spent 20 mins in Live For Speed was testament enough to it's attraction.

Can't wait for AC to adopt the tech, flinging that sim around is going to be amazing.

The sense of depth, Yaw and speed is amazing. When I put the FG Falcon Supercar around Road America I was clenching my teeth sliding the car through some of the turns.

Again, be warned, this isn't crystal clear gaming, but the motec display is easily read and brake markers noticed without too much issue. Detail is a little obscured but for pure escapism at this stage it cannot be beat.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2016, 08:50:43 AM »
How did you go with peripherals, like seeing wheel and keyboard etc?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Sin

• Edit Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2016, 10:14:11 AM »
Can't see them. I reckon some hardware will be released eventually that is viewable inside the headset because the sensor is portrayed in position on your desk or in room.

But yeah, everything by feel whilst inside vr

Offline Sin

• Edit Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2016, 04:04:15 PM »
Adrift had me in all sorts today. After 15 mins my body started to sweat and I had the urge to be physically sick. I have spent a great deal of time in aircraft and boats and don't usually have these issues but this got to me.

No such issue in Pcars or LFS

Rolz

« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2016, 04:10:33 PM »
Adrift had me in all sorts today. After 15 mins my body started to sweat and I had the urge to be physically sick. I have spent a great deal of time in aircraft and boats and don't usually have these issues but this got to me.

No such issue in Pcars or LFS

haha watch the YouTube Video on it... looks pretty mad, would really work your senses in VR

Offline Sin

• Edit Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »
Don't really know what the issue was. I have played over an hour in LFS just lapping in the open wheeler and the XRT and had no similar problem. I don't know if it is exacerbated in this game because I can float around in any direction. And it wasn't a claustrophobic response either, I don't suffer from it even under water so it was weird for me. But it took about an hour to recover

Rolz

« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2016, 04:47:47 PM »
warped ur brain with the lack of a definitive horizon... maybe this happens to astronauts too? space sickness?

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2016, 06:39:19 PM »
This is what I dont want, to be sick and yuk!!

Offline Sin

• Edit Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2016, 06:50:39 PM »
Not sure Rolz, I will let you know if NASA straps me to a rocket.

For racing, it gives greater immersion than 4k. But the resolution lets it down somewhat.

I will be building a new desktop when the 1080 cards land so it will be interesting to see if the judder I am experiencing with my current SLI (980m) setup goes away. Yea, I know oculus recommend the 980m sli isn't up to spec, but in the testing I have done it is well above spec so far as 3dmark and vr mark goes. I get 120+ fps in AC when on Ultra so I can't see it being an issue but the judder is significant in Pcars. No issue in LFS.

I am playing with the settings in Pcars and will report back if I find a solution.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
THE Oculus Rift Thread
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2016, 07:50:10 AM »
Thought I would add some further comments on using the Rift now that Assett Corsa has been released.

Will VR go the way of 3D TV?

I only have the DK2 so cannot comment on image quality of the CV1. However, the DK2 image quality is "good enough" in AC to allow an evaluation of the usability of VR. However, given that the VR support in AC is only in alpha there are still some issues stopping me trialling the DK2 in a real race situation. The main (alpha release) issues are

1. Centring the head position in the car is still not working correctly. It works for some cars but others are not yet configured correctly for VR. You can be off centre or too far away from the steering wheel and the controls don't allow you to correct completely. It can be wrong sometimes  even though it previously was correct. This could be just the DK2.
2. The complete in-game menu system is now available in VR. for example, Helicorsa and PLP lights work great. The app windows are on a "virtual screen" in the VR. The virtual screen is curved like an LG OLED curved screen. The problem at the moment is that the distance of this virtual screen is set too close to you. This means that it is not really usable for too long because it is a strain to refocus on the app screens.
3. The layout of the apps in the VR needs to be different to the layout on a triple screen. So you have to rearrange the app windows everytime you switch between VR and Triples.

I stress that these are just alpha release issues and will be easily fixed in future AC releases.

The biggest problem I have discovered with driving in VR is that the visibility out of the car is terrible. I had expected it to be better than  triples. It feels just like a real car initially. Until you get into a race situation. Then the problems start! You can turn your head to see the external rear view mirrors or to see cars beside you. However, you have NO peripheral vision like in a real life car. You have LESS peripheral vision than with a triple screen setup. I had not understood what a problem this was until I tried a few races, first with AI and then online on a couple of public servers. VR gives you a view about equivalent to a single screen. It is only when you move your head that you see beside you.

My current view of VR  is therefore that it is a fantastic gimmick. It is fun to try out and has a huge wow factor. Just like 3D TV. It is especially suited to driving sims since you are sitting in a car that is moving rather than walking around. So the disorienting factor is less. Seeing the interior of the car is extremely immersive. The sounds seem much more realistic in the VR world than when hearing the same sounds when viewing a normal screen. Having said all that I find myself not wanting to use the Rift except for an occasional drive. It is just not as good as Triple screens when driving online in races.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:54:51 AM by Gratulin »

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2016, 04:41:27 PM »
I thought peripheral vision would be a problem, but I've never heard anyone mention it before.
Now if VR had full, wrap around screens...... 8)

And leave 3D TV alone, I have one. >:( :P

2+2=√16

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2016, 09:46:43 PM »
I only have a single screen so VR would be a step up for me.

Having said that, I'd expect future iterations of VR to offer a greater FOV, however I don't think we'll get to a stage where you don't have to turn your head.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2016, 11:11:47 PM »
This does not relate to AC, but I had a go of an Oculus Rift in a shopping center which simulated a roller coaster.  After about 2 minutes I broke out in a sweat and felt like I was going to vomit.  Had to rip it off my head!!
I had always seen this is pretty good thing for AC, but I am not so sure now....  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal