Xtreme Gaming Network

S20R5: Highlands Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S20R5: Highlands Post-Race Chat  (Read 7823 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S20R5: Highlands Post-Race Chat
« on: January 23, 2018, 06:19:41 PM »
RACE 1 RESULTS
RACE 2 RESULTS
RACE 3 RESULTS
SEASON STANDINGS
SEASON STATS

Round Points
killagorilla   121
Mael   116
buellersdayoff   85
Phil.8   83
Shayne   83
Bacchulum   77
RussG   76
Matthew111   72
Wally   69
ab156   65
Joe   65
Kcender87   64
Godzilla   52
Seanus   52
Dave O   46
Phil   45
Dadio   29
Rob   8
Gratulin   0
Shameless   0
Simone   0

Congratulations to Phil.8 on pole and the race 1 win, killagorilla and Mael for their race wins, and killagorilla for winning the overall round.

Penalties
Race 1
There was a side-to-side impact mid-corner between Shameless and Dadio which ended up with Shameless scraping along the wall. The replay shows that Shameless moved across just a little into the side of Dadio. Racing incident.

Race 2
Simone clipped the barrier at the fast right hander which bounced him across the track causing the pileup. Racing incident.

Race 3
Dave O clipped the barrier which bounced him into Seanus and also Matthew and Rob. Racing incident.

Season Podium
Killagorilla's good round sees him jump up 3 places on the ladder into 2nd place.
1. Kcender87, 435 pts
2. Killagorilla, 402
3. Phil.8, 396

Mover of the round on the ladder was Mael, jumping 8 places into 8th place.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:12:12 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
Re: S20R5: Highlands Post-Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 10:19:17 PM »
Yeah that was frustrating to say the least lol, surprised I managed to find the pace here in qual and keep up with phil race 1 as I couldn't learn the track in prac properly, but race 2 and 3 were torture getting caught up in everyones spin as they pinball off the walls, impossible to avoid and then a huge restrictor to boot so the car was horrendous again in race 3 where again I get caught up in everyones spin writing off my car lol, I really think the restrictor rule has to go it just compounds the effect of a shit race to much.
do you even motorsports?

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:27:17 PM »
Yeah that was frustrating to say the least lol, surprised I managed to find the pace here in qual and keep up with phil race 1 as I couldn't learn the track in prac properly, but race 2 and 3 were torture getting caught up in everyones spin as they pinball off the walls, impossible to avoid and then a huge restrictor to boot so the car was horrendous again in race 3 where again I get caught up in everyones spin writing off my car lol, I really think the restrictor rule has to go it just compounds the effect of a shit race to much.

Yes was frustrating round, second and third race went as I excepted though, I didn't except to finish either and I didn't.
I actually am sure I have not finished well in the second and third race of any round, its nearly impossible starting from the back not to get caught up in accidents
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 10:28:46 PM »

Yes was frustrating round, second and third race went as I excepted though, I didn't except to finish either and I didn't. Race 3 was lots of fun though for while racing with 4 or 5 other cars
I actually am sure I have not finished well in the second and third race of any round, its nearly impossible starting from the back not to get caught up in accidents
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 10:44:38 PM »
Race 1 clipped a wall early on in the town section giving me a red bumper then clipped another a lap later breaking my windscreen. After that I was just a sitting duck. Also had an incident with Wally at the right hander at the bottom of the hill. I braked pretty early so I could keep the inside line and didn't expect Wally to go for the apex. Not 100% sure on fault for that one so I stopped until Wally could turn around and let him go ahead.

Race 2 I was just a few cars behind a spinning Simone but was hanging back a little through that corner which meant I was able to pretty much come to a stop and get through the carnage. Got all the way up to 2nd closing in on Phil with Killa close behind and my accelerator dropped to 70% going up the hill at the end of lap 5. I had to wait for a few turns later to pull over and replug but less than lap later it did it again, so had to pull over again. Finished somewhere near the back.

Before race 4 I gave the little sensor a spray with some compressed air and a jiggle and it was better but still jumping a little on full throttle. Need to take it off and realign the magnets. Race 3 was good though, made a few passes then had good pressure from Shayne for a number of laps. Finished 3rd I think. Shame about the race 2 technical issues or would have likely been a good round.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 10:55:56 PM »
Qualified and finished 5th in the first race, good racing. R2 completely forgot to load my setup, so defaults it was. managed to get by the pile up on the grass while clipping a bumper of someone facing 90 degrees. Had a fair bit of side by side racing with kcender and mael, another good race finished 4th. R3, some more good close racing, got up into 2nd but had a brain fade and hit the barrier on my own, impacts where brutal on this circuit, and went to the back. Thanks for the great racing
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:06:43 PM by buellersdayoff »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 11:12:23 PM »
Results are up.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 11:18:48 PM »

Absolutely, those restrictor are insane and need to go in my opinion. You are punished by driving with the damage then punished again with a very slow car for the next race. I’m sorry but if your pit crew can’t fix a car to race normally enough then it just gets retired, no one starts a race with a car that’s 4-5 seconds off the pace (except maybe Honda’s in F1, but even that’s a stretch). Cars that slow are dangerous on track. I figured I’d stay out of everything and watch the carnage here in race 3 so started second last and stayed off the throttle completely down the straight to make sure I had good distance, finished 7th anyway... fastest lap of race 3 was prety much dead on 2.37... lol

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 11:24:26 PM »
Rather satisfied with the result, wins do not often come around  :)

After the previous races I made an effort to try and stay out of trouble, going so far as to give up a number of places on the first few laps laps of every race. That together with a LOT of luck meant I avoided the race 2 pile up. That meant an easy a race 3 as could be but I was relieved when the finish line came up. Strangely my race 3 laptimes was a bit slower than expected, maybe a wind change?

(As for restrictor, the rules are known before the race so has to be factored into the level of aggression used during the race, I suffered in the previous races from it but was mostly my own fault. And on most race tracks the penalty is not that severe unless you have a 50kg penalty. The 50 kg penalty is drastic and from experience I can say that it is extremely difficult not to finish at the back with it, but is that not the idea?)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:29:35 PM by Mael »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 11:26:59 PM »

Absolutely, those restrictor are insane and need to go in my opinion. You are punished by driving with the damage then punished again with a very slow car for the next race. I’m sorry but if your pit crew can’t fix a car to race normally enough then it just gets retired, no one starts a race with a car that’s 4-5 seconds off the pace (except maybe Honda’s in F1, but even that’s a stretch). Cars that slow are dangerous on track. I figured I’d stay out of everything and watch the carnage here in race 3 so started second last and stayed off the throttle completely down the straight to make sure I had good distance, finished 7th anyway... fastest lap of race 3 was prety much dead on 2.37... lol

I wouldn't go quite so far to say they're insane. This track in particular is going to compound any effects, because the damage itself seemed to have more effect here than at other tracks, and 4 seconds is over a 2:35 lap don't forget - equivalent ratio-wise to 2 and a bit seconds over a more typical 1:30 lap. Even then, so much of this track is spent at full throttle that the restrictor is going to bite here more than anywhere else.

In race 3, I had 95% restrictor and no damage. That cost me 2 seconds dead in lap time over a 2:35 lap, so a bit of restrictor (most had far less than 95%) is not as dramatic as you think.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:59:52 PM by Wally »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 11:38:13 PM »
Also had an incident with Wally at the right hander at the bottom of the hill. I braked pretty early so I could keep the inside line and didn't expect Wally to go for the apex. Not 100% sure on fault for that one so I stopped until Wally could turn around and let him go ahead.
Watching the replay, I was carrying a lot more speed down the hill than you and ended up a good clear car length in front of you coming up to the corner, so I figured the corner was mine.

After some really good pace in practice, I didn't put in a good qualifying. I clipped the wall just lightly on about my 2nd lap, and I thought it didn't impact my top speed too much, so I persisted rather than have to warm the tyres up again. It meant I only qualified in 9th, and I paid the price in the race, being stuck behind Bacchulum and not finding a way past even though I was quicker in some potential passing areas. Then I had the incident with Joe - I nearly held a big slide, but couldn't stay off the barrier. After that I had some good racing around Dave O and Seanus to the end. Sorry if I blocked you out of the last corner Seanus - I lost sight of where you were and my speed washed my over to the left of the track.

Race 2 I couldn't avoid the pileup, so that gave me some damage, but I went on to have some excellent racing with Russ and Bacchulum right to the end.

Race 3 was clean - not a single impact, and got me my best finish of the round in 6th place. Chasing Russ we both made some ground just by avoiding other's troubles. Godzilla was closing hard at the end but I managed to hang on by 0.7 seconds.

Offline Dave O

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 11:48:10 PM »
Race 3
Dave O clipped the barrier which bounced him into Seanus and also Matthew and Rob. Racing incident.

Really sorry guys  :(  hate ruining someone else's race.  :( Dave O.
NEVER TOO OLD TO RACE ... being competitive can be a PROBLEM though.

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 12:07:07 AM »
Really good qually. Pipped for pole on the final lap by Phil.8. I had been up on my last qually lap but got a fence ....

Race 1: Got away in front of Phil.8, but he was faster and made a pass. The pass slowed me down and Matthew got by as well. Then it was great pace at the front and i dropped back just a little. Then Matthew must have made a mistake somewhere because I was right back on him coming into the town on the second last lap. So I tried to press him hard and managed to just clip the inside of the last right before the finish line. It was a light clip, but it smashed the windscreen. I thought I would be OK to keep P3 with one lap to go, but obviously it was big damage because I was 2.5 seconds down by the time we were going up the first hill. killa breezed past, then Mael, then Bueller. Then at the last right before the town I brushed into the fence on the left and pinballed  across the track and back ending up nose first into the fence. Couldn't see where any cars were so performed a VERY careful reverse 3 point turn before rejoining with smashed suspension and somehow managed to limp home 9th :)

Race 2: 35% restrictor. Started OK, but others blew past me, then got caught up in the carnage. Restrictor + damage, pressed on. Fastest lap was nearly 3 seconds down but had some good racing and finished 7th.

Race 3: 80% restrictor. Fastest lap 5 seconds down, but had some great racing with Wally and Bacchulum. Somehow finished 5th :D

Not as good a night as I was hoping for, but I kicked my own goals in race 1, so pretty happy with the outcome ....

Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 08:55:41 AM »
Real sorry to everybody!! I just missed completely the whole thing and made a mess.
I am not  a good racer and never will be.....but...but......there is always the next race!!!🤗🤗🤗     
I was so sorry that i prefered to go and hide myself under a rock......with a fridge full of beers for the rest of the night.....sorry guys!!!
Simone

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 09:08:58 AM »
I see, that's why you were suddenly so slow...was actually settling for 4 in race 1.
I saw the crash on the long straight in race 2 early enough to slow down and my plan was to navigate through this mess somehow. However, someone behind me thought I should join and shot me in there...then bouncing my way through there...was sideways, but I think bueller gave me a nudge at the front to kindly put my car back in the right direction :-)
Well, surprisingly enough that thing was still driving so I kept going...and actually gained some positions. With a bit of luck I made it all the way to the front...yeah, first win this series...pretty happy.
Good start in race 3, but 60% restrictor slowed me down a lot so I lost 3 positions early in the race. Then I just managed to stay on track doing 2:35's I think...and came in 2nd because of accidents of I think Kcender and Bueller.
Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal