Xtreme Gaming Network

Fun run Sep 10 - Supercars at Barcelona Moto

Author Topic: Fun run Sep 10 - Supercars at Barcelona Moto  (Read 24230 times)

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Fun run Sep 10 - Supercars at Barcelona Moto
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 08:10:08 PM »
Dry late notice but can't make tonight.  Cya next week...

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2019, 10:29:31 PM »
Challenging cars to drive, but like most challenging cars, it's rewarding and fun if you can get it right. Lots of spins, lots of brake lockups... The cars seem to be quite setup sensitive. If it's a bit wrong, it's a spin-fest, but once you find that sweet spot and can keep the car on the track without spinning, it's good fun. I don't necessarily mind a car that bites - it can mean that the guy in front of you can stuff up at any time and give you a chance.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Captain Slow

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2019, 11:34:17 PM »
If there is going to be another fun run before the next season, i'll just throw this out there for your consideration.

My first race on SRS was using a selection of 80's (I think) touring cars at Riverside. I had ever raced there prior and I was smiling like the Joker almost the entire race. The cars available weren't ones that I would normally choose to race in but I had the time of my life sliding around the long sweeping corners. Long straights to draft behind. Close racing guaranteed !

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2019, 07:19:09 AM »
If there is going to be another fun run before the next season, i'll just throw this out there for your consideration.

My first race on SRS was using a selection of 80's (I think) touring cars at Riverside. I had ever raced there prior and I was smiling like the Joker almost the entire race. The cars available weren't ones that I would normally choose to race in but I had the time of my life sliding around the long sweeping corners. Long straights to draft behind. Close racing guaranteed !
It's something to consider. Do you remember what cars/mods they were? I keep mixing up the style of cars. You can see the past seasons at the bottom of the first post here. We're currently due for something a bit more grunty :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2019, 08:58:26 AM »
I enjoyed the racing. It's good to drive something that is a bit more of a challenge to keep on track every now and then.

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2019, 11:23:03 AM »
First time back after a pretty long break. I didn't do more than 15 laps practice and rocked up pretty late but I really enjoyed driving these cars, which is a surprise for me because I've generally hated V8 mods (in everything).  I had a few spins due to hitting kerbs in the wrong way, and being a little too heavy with my right foot, and once on the left braking, but at no point did I feel like putting it in the sand trap in frustration, and doing donuts till the car broke.

The last race was hilarious. I got off the line like a rocket, headed into turn one in the lead and was so overjoyed that I forgot how to drive, found myself in the wrong gear, went wide into turn two and panic braked into three trying to recover, spun and ended up being where I belong. It was a bit annoying because even though I was a second off a decent pace I reckon it might have been a fun little sprint.

Thanks for a fun night blokes.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2019, 12:19:16 PM »
Well I hated them*.  The constant fight to prevent the front tire lockups is irritating. The under-steer on entry were infuriating. The mid-corner under-steer incensed me. The corner exit over-steer was just plain @%$#@$#  And this was on an easy smooth track, imagine on some of the bumpier mods! KCender's advice to lower the rear ride height helped a bit for the last race where a good battle with Davo was fun but overall no, just no.

*Some background: Did a season in them with rooz. Was last in almost every race  :(

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2019, 02:20:02 PM »
What did everyone do with setup? I lowered the spring rates as far as they would go without having the damping ratios ridiculous high, meaning my dampers where all close to zero also.

Setup ranges lacked fidelity, one click of rear toe went from -0.2x to +0.6x
In the Nissan, I softened the rear springs probably one click, added about 0.5 degrees more negative camber at the rear, upped the wing a little and from memory I think I softened the front ARB a touch. In the end, the car felt pretty balanced to me, but there'd be more work to do, setup-wise. I need to try some of Kcender's tips too.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2019, 04:58:43 PM »
Well I hated them*.  The constant fight to prevent the front tire lockups is irritating. The under-steer on entry were infuriating. The mid-corner under-steer incensed me. The corner exit over-steer was just plain @%$#@$#  And this was on an easy smooth track, imagine on some of the bumpier mods! KCender's advice to lower the rear ride height helped a bit for the last race where a good battle with Davo was fun but overall no, just no.

*Some background: Did a season in them with rooz. Was last in almost every race  :(

They were ok to drive until you got to a corner and had to brake or turn the wheel,  unless the other Holden feels any better I cant see me having much fun season 30
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2019, 05:27:04 PM »
Phil, the eternal optimist :D

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2019, 10:00:02 PM »
Well I liked them!  They have to be driven like a supercar . . . brake hard, turn, wait . . wait, then ease on the power.  I reduced the rear camber aiming for more power down traction, stiffened the front dampers, took off a small bit of front roll bar. It helped for me but could still find some more turn in!

Offline Captain Slow

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2019, 04:52:25 AM »

It's something to consider. Do you remember what cars/mods they were? I keep mixing up the style of cars. You can see the past seasons at the bottom of the first post here. We're currently due for something a bit more grunty :)

Sorry for the delay in replying, from memory they were BMW M3 E30 Step 1, Mercedes EVO II and Audi Quattro. But any tail-happy car will do the trick there. More grunt equals more thrills and spills me thinks.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2019, 07:25:09 AM »
Did anyone try my Falcon setup? ???

2+2=√16

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2019, 08:43:12 AM »
What did everyone do with setup?