Xtreme Gaming Network

Apr 19 - season 11 bye - fun run?

Author Topic: Apr 19 - season 11 bye - fun run?  (Read 25801 times)

Offline grat

• View Profile
Re: Apr 19 - season 11 bye - fun run?
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2016, 10:09:30 AM »
I agree: it was a very fun night! Thanks all (and Marty for organizing it)!

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2016, 11:50:17 AM »
Sorry guys. I really need to get the QOS sorted out on my router so the WiFi doesn't completely soak the connection every time it is used.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2016, 12:31:13 PM »
Stan is the QOS man. I am sure he will have a story to tell us :)
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2016, 01:04:48 PM »
Ha ha!!! My eyes lit up when I saw talk of the Mighty QoS!!
Nasty to research but well worth the journey for sure!! Power to the QoS!! The Wifi's must learn their place!! :D
(I start preparing a goat for you!! ... is all I can do  :P)

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2016, 12:17:26 AM »
Haha thanks Stan.

Unfortunately the standard QoS in this router is really basic and doesn't seem to have any real world effect. I've tried other firmwares on it with varying but ultimately unsatisfactory results.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2016, 07:32:49 AM »
Haha thanks Stan.

Unfortunately the standard QoS in this router is really basic and doesn't seem to have any real world effect. I've tried other firmwares on it with varying but ultimately unsatisfactory results.
If you have ( or get ) a second wifi router and use that instead for your house wifi you will relegate your house wifi to "just another" Ethernet port equal to your PC Ethernet port. That is a form of physical qos.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2016, 08:32:41 AM »
Haha thanks Stan.

If you have ( or get ) a second wifi router and use that instead for your house wifi you will relegate your house wifi to "just another" Ethernet port equal to your PC Ethernet port. That is a form of physical qos.
Can you explain that a little more? Like what connects to what?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2016, 08:37:17 AM »
If I understand correctly:

Router 1 -connects to- internet
Computer -connects into- router 1 (say port 1)
Router 2 -connects into- router 1 (port 2)
wifi -connects into- router 2

So all wifi is handled by router 2.

I'd still love to hear how this helps, though, Gratulin.  Never heard of this doing anything to help with traffic, really.   
I can imagine it helping if you can restrict the ethernet port to a lower throughput than your internet can handle, but otherwise I wouldn't think it will.

Please explain :)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2016, 08:39:45 AM »
You turn off the adsl router's wifi. Then you plug a new wifi router into one of the adsl router's Ethernet ports. Make sure the new wifi router is set to bridge mode only. Then plug the PC Ethernet into the adsl router's second Ethernet port (there should be 4 Ethernet LAN ports on the adsl router supplied by your isp. The adsl router now sees two Ethernet ports of equal priority.

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2016, 08:43:55 AM »
Haha thanks Stan.

Makes perfect sense, thanks for the tip. Once I get a job and some money I may have to look into that.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2016, 08:52:18 AM »
If I understand correctly:

Router 1 -connects to- internet
Computer -connects into- router 1 (say port 1)
Router 2 -connects into- router 1 (port 2)
wifi -connects into- router 2

So all wifi is handled by router 2.

I'd still love to hear how this helps, though, Gratulin.  Never heard of this doing anything to help with traffic, really.   
I can imagine it helping if you can restrict the ethernet port to a lower throughput than your internet can handle, but otherwise I wouldn't think it will.

Please explain :)
The problem with ISP-supplied routers with built in wifi, especially ones with no QoS controls is that they will usually give equal priority to all MAC addresses irrespective of whether or not they are Wifi MACs or Ethernet MACs. Some routers have also been rumoured to give much greater priority to the built-in wifi essentially resulting in the wifi swamping the Ethernet traffic. This last situation is what could be happening in this case. Hence the suggestion to turn off the built in wifi and use an external wifi router.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2016, 08:56:57 AM »
Haha thanks Stan.

Makes perfect sense, thanks for the tip. Once I get a job and some money I may have to look into that.
Ha! I keep forgetting that these routers are not cheap. I have a neighbour who had endless problems with Telstra ADSL. Every time he reported the problem Telstra sends out a new router. He has 3 brand new routers now. Of course the problem turned out to be the copper wiring in his house :(

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2016, 03:03:26 PM »
The problem with ISP-supplied routers with built in wifi, especially ones with no QoS controls is that they will usually give equal priority to all MAC addresses irrespective of whether or not they are Wifi MACs or Ethernet MACs. Some routers have also been rumoured to give much greater priority to the built-in wifi essentially resulting in the wifi swamping the Ethernet traffic. This last situation is what could be happening in this case. Hence the suggestion to turn off the built in wifi and use an external wifi router.

Thanks mate! 
Makes sense now. I'm always learning new things :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal